Salty fresh fish help

golfer35, Oct 28, 8:13pm
Was given some very salty fresh Hapuku/Groper.Had some pan fried last night after giving it a good wash, but still to salty.Has anyone got some suggestions as to cooking or recipes please.(It was salted out in boat to keep it longer)Thanks in advance,K.

beaker59, Oct 28, 10:06pm
Never heard of that before other than the old preserved fish of yesteryear google salt cod recipes an old scandinavian favourite.

I would suggest soaking the fillets in fresh water for quite some time maybe an hour or two.

crystalmoon, Oct 29, 12:25am
would soaking in milk,maybe help /,Do a small piece for about and hour and then dust in flour and pan fry,good luck.

marree, Oct 29, 5:18am
Ok, so you are not looking for a 'salt fish recipe' (I do have - that is what my hubby does after Ramadan) - he does not like - it's overpowering!.You are obviously looking at 'toning it down' (lessening the salt).Others above have good advice I think.

golfer35, Oct 29, 5:22am
Thanks for the replys.Trying the milk tonight.Have had it soaking for about 3 hours,after a good wash.Then will do in beer batter.

ferita, Oct 29, 7:02am
The fillets where probably stored in salt water on the boat.

Potato can sometimes draw salt out of food. You could try poaching it with potato and throwing the potato away

obviousas, Oct 29, 8:39am
Hey Golfer35,

It is a delicacy on its own! Just fry it and eat with rice congee.

Anyway, here's a Chinese recipe from me grandma's recipe book.

Cut about 150 to 200 gms of the salted fish in strips and low fry in a pan.
Cut thinly slices of some fresh ginger (half a pinky -small last finger)

250 gms of chicken thighs or pork fingers (cut 1 cm slices). Marinate with 1 teaspoonful of sesame oil and one tablespoonful of cornflour and 1 tablespoonful of light soya sauce.

Mix all the ingredients above and steam for about 10 minutes.

Garnish with coriander or spring onion.

Serve with rice.

hollypc, Oct 30, 8:30pm
think you just to fussy

pickles7, Jul 4, 3:15am
We salt our bait. Are you sure someone isn't pulling one on you.