Wild Pork and Venison

donnabeth, Oct 25, 9:09pm
I've been given a very generous piece of pork and of venison from a hunting expedition in the weekend. As a first time hunter and first time recipient, neither of us know what to do with them.

Can someone please give me an idea of how to cook them? I want to do justice to the effort that went into catching it and carrying it out of the bush.

Both pieces are part of the back and huge ribs with a thin layer of meat by the back bone and a small pad of meat under the ribs. There doesn't appear to be a lot of actual meat on them and no fat at all.

Thanks for your advice.

donnabeth, Oct 26, 12:45am
So far the pork has been roasting slowly in the oven covered with foil. I pulled a rib and it came out easily. It smells very 'gamey', not like supermarket pork at all.

I know venison dries out easily; should I cook it the same way or remove it from the bones?

mudguts2, Oct 26, 1:07am
i think the cuts you have are more for casseroles.the meat down the back bone is back steak and that is a frying.

venison dries out if roasted so we just casserole or fry bar b que ets.

not alot to go on with your description.
if you get fairly big wild deer or pig they can be quite tough.
and can have a gamey taste.
wild pork is nothing like tame pork.it is a darker meat and less fat.

i have marinated venison with kiwi fruit to tenderise it and that is nice.add garlic etc.

beaker59, Oct 26, 9:42am
Leave the venison in the fridge for a week or so before eating the pork is fine straight away it sounds like you have already successfully cooked that.

The venison backstrap as allready said is great for frying the rest can be minced and is great as patties on the barbie or casseroled venison doesn;t make great roasts IMO

naki45, Oct 26, 9:30pm
mmmm venison back steaks on the BBQ yumm....Just make sure you don't over cook it!(unless you like your meat well done of course! ;-), but venison really is nicest done Medium to Medium rare IMHO)

korbo, Jun 29, 4:08am
when cooking wild pork, i always put brown sugar on the top, this seems to take away the gamey taste.
I have been cooking venison and wild pork for over 30yrs, and find long slow, covered cooking the best. on top of venison, i sometimes put some bacon and lemon pepper.
If you have venison that can be stuffed, and rolled, then wrap the bacon around it. i put grated apple, chopped apricots or crushed pineapple in the stuffing mix. gives a lovely flavour.
happy cooking, and just remember, long slow, and cover the dish