Farmers wives or husbands, lunch ideas pleeeeease

rainrain1, Oct 24, 5:59am
I need some inspiration.Sorry I can't think of one at the mo to get started, some new recipes would be great.Nothing too fancy, just good old basic kai for the workers....

curry_banana, Oct 24, 7:06am
I find what I would normally make for an evening meal goes down well. Meat and veg... casseroles. Curried sausages are one of my mans favourites. Also Cottage pie... Things like that can be made in bulk and frozen for if you have a town day and they can't cook for themselves :) I tend to just try to make twice as much for dinner the previous night, so we both have enough to take to work.

fee1965, Oct 24, 7:11am
Bacon and egg pie, home made steak and mushroom (or cheese) pies. Quesadillas - place a tortilla in frypan, add some leftover chilli or spag bol mixture, add cheese - put another tortilla on top and cook 2mins each side.YummY

nik12, Oct 24, 8:11am
My 'cheats lasanga'.Make the tomatoie mince as usual (I use a tin of watties pasta sauce with garlic and a tin of the flavoured tomato's, mushrooms and onions), but instead of layering, mix the pasta (I use Penne) with the mince, put it in a roasting dish or whatever and then tip cheese sauce over the top, sprinkle with grated cheese and reheat.It's even better if it's been in the fridge over night.My boys eat it with bread and butter, but a salad is really nice on the side.
Or baked steak in the slow cooker, rub with equal amount of mustard powder and sugar (a T of each is usually enough) lay it as flat as you can in the slow cooker (or casserole dish), sprinkle about 1 T flour over the top and a sliced onion. Mix 2T worchester, 2T vinegar and 2T tomato sauce and sprinkle on top.Put the lid on and cook.Great with mashed spuds and whatever vege.

lizab, Oct 25, 12:01am
what are you workers doing - are they on a farm? How many of them are there?

rainrain1, Oct 25, 12:49am
Why do you ask?

lizab, Oct 25, 1:25am
well... if your workers are shearers for example, they'll need quite a big lunch. I got the impression you were wanting to feed a crowd of workers on a farm?? Maybe you don't??

rainrain1, Oct 25, 1:36am
Shearers cook their own......3 or 4 farm workers for lunch...please don't ask what they do as it would take too much time to explain.A recipe would be nice, all I want is some new ideas for lunches

lizab, Oct 25, 1:51am
wish our shearers cooked their own!! Lucky you!! I will be feeding the shearers coming here tomorrow ... lucky me!!

rainrain1, Jun 22, 7:55am
Yea it's a lot of work and I don't envy you one bit, I have been there done that but still have men in for lunch most days except when we're shearing then they all eat with the gang.....I love those days all to myself :-)