New salad ideas

alebix, Oct 23, 3:48am
Hi all,

Im off to my in laws tomorrow for a lunch BBQ.

I am need for new ideas for salads.

I like potato salad and want new ideas on how to do this.

Any ideas are much wanted and appreciated.

geldof, Oct 23, 4:01am
Kumera bacon banana spring onion with curry dressing.

Pumpkin and kumera roasted with citrus zest and oil.

Watermelon feta and red onion.

Warm potato salad with wasabi mayonnaise.

Rice salad with soy dressing

alebix, Oct 23, 4:10am
I am liking the idea of a kumera salad.

What sort of dressing would you use?

geldof, Oct 23, 4:14am
You can just use a basic mayonnaise with some curry powder to taste.preferably let it sit to develop the flavours, and get best result if you put it onto warmish kumera.

alebix, Oct 23, 4:17am
Thank you Geldof, Im going to make that one for sure.

cutex01, Oct 23, 4:20am
I made this a while ago.... yes, even with the cream LOL, didn't use as much as recipe said though, only half a cup.It was deeeeeelicious and a huge hit!I left out the almonds and raisins though, just threw in whole green grapes (cos I'm lazy) lol and used vegetelli pasta rather than bowties (looks sooo pretty!).

But everyone loved it.Nice to have something different but it's a real treat too.

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2010/08/curried-chicken-pasta-salad/

cutex01, Oct 23, 4:26am
Just to save you having to scroll down.... lol

* 3 pounds Chicken, Cooked And Diced/shredded
* 6 ounces, weight Dry Pasta, Cooked And Drained
* 4 whole Ribs Celery, Thinly Sliced - Leaves Included (use Interior Ribs)
* ¾ cups Golden Raisins
* ¾ cups Slivered Almonds
* ½ cups Mayonnaise
* ½ cups Sour Cream
* 1 cup Heavy Cream
* 3 Tablespoons Curry Powder, More Or Less To Taste
* 1 Tablespoon Sugar, More Or Less To Taste
* 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
* Freshly Ground Black Pepper

Preparation Instructions

Boil chicken to cook. Boil pasta in chicken broth.

Dice/shred chicken. Drain pasta.

Mix together mayonnaise, sour cream, heavy cream, curry powder, sugar, salt, and pepper. Whisk together until well combined.

Combine chicken, drained pasta, sliced celery, raisins, and almonds in a large bowl. Pour curry dressing over the top. Fold together with a rubber spatula. Make sure it’s all combined, then add more of whatever it needs. Make sure the sweet/savory balance is right for you! (I like mine a little sweet.)

Chill for several hours. Serve with juicy grapes on the side.

geldof, Oct 23, 4:27am
Thats sounds yum. always looking for new ideas.this would be a great way to make a little left over roast chicken do another meal.

cutex01, Oct 23, 4:29am
That's what I did. :o)

geldof, Oct 23, 4:34am
Everything in moderation eh.half cup of cream for full recipe is fine IMO.those who disagree could use that new philly low fat cream.What's that saying"A bit of what you fancy, does you good."

liamjosh, Oct 23, 8:41am
Potato with egg, spring onion, bacon and a tsp of curry in the mayo is yummy or kumera, bacon and orange with curry mayo is also really nice

nik12, Oct 23, 11:36am
Broccoli, bacon, cashew and spring onion with a dressing.. 1/4C vinegar 1/2 C sugar (I might have that round the wrong way?!), 1 C french dressing.
Let the Broccoli, cut into tiny florrets, marinade in the vinegar and sugar over night, or as long as you can then add cashew's, spring onions and cooked bacon.
I just tasted this tonight and am hoping I've remembered what I was told right.. it was so yummy!

uli, Oct 22, 10:18pm
Salad time is coming fast - so I thought we could resurrect this thread for more recipes.

elliehen, Oct 22, 10:27pm
uli, maybe alebix will come back and tell you exactly which salad she decided to make ;)You often ask the OP to return.

trader125, Oct 22, 11:29pm
not potato salad but a really nice easy salad.
put bag of baby spinach leaves in bowl/plate scatter roasted pumpkin cubes on top then toasted walnuts ,diced creamy blue cheese , then drizzle weight watchers (or any other brand ,i use this for the colour) honey mustard mayo over top ,so easy & yet so tasty !

uli, Oct 22, 11:30pm
Maybe she will - if she can remember.
Apart from that I usually only ask if poster#1 asks for something then never posts again, while fifty people try to post something helpful.

alebix, Oct 23, 4:10am
I am liking the idea of a kumera salad.

What sort of dressing would you use!

cutex01, Oct 23, 4:20am
I made this a while ago. yes, even with the cream LOL, didn't use as much as recipe said though, only half a cup.It was deeeeeelicious and a huge hit!I left out the almonds and raisins though, just threw in whole green grapes (cos I'm lazy) lol and used vegetelli pasta rather than bowties (looks sooo pretty!).

But everyone loved it.Nice to have something different but it's a real treat too.

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2010/08/curried-chicken-pasta-salad/

cutex01, Oct 23, 4:26am
Just to save you having to scroll down. lol

* 3 pounds Chicken, Cooked And Diced/shredded
* 6 ounces, weight Dry Pasta, Cooked And Drained
* 4 whole Ribs Celery, Thinly Sliced - Leaves Included (use Interior Ribs)
* ¾ cups Golden Raisins
* ¾ cups Slivered Almonds
* ½ cups Mayonnaise
* ½ cups Sour Cream
* 1 cup Heavy Cream
* 3 Tablespoons Curry Powder, More Or Less To Taste
* 1 Tablespoon Sugar, More Or Less To Taste
* 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
* Freshly Ground Black Pepper

Preparation Instructions

Boil chicken to cook. Boil pasta in chicken broth.

Dice/shred chicken. Drain pasta.

Mix together mayonnaise, sour cream, heavy cream, curry powder, sugar, salt, and pepper. Whisk together until well combined.

Combine chicken, drained pasta, sliced celery, raisins, and almonds in a large bowl. Pour curry dressing over the top. Fold together with a rubber spatula. Make sure it’s all combined, then add more of whatever it needs. Make sure the sweet/savory balance is right for you! (I like mine a little sweet.)

Chill for several hours. Serve with juicy grapes on the side.

cutex01, Oct 23, 4:29am
That's what I did. :o)

(ETA - and I know everyone will wince at the cream. like I did LOL.But I had to try it and honestly, it does make this salad what it is. it's really delicious!)

geldof, Oct 23, 4:34am
Everything in moderation eh.half cup of cream for full recipe is fine IMO.those who disagree could use that new philly low fat cream.What's that saying"A bit of what you fancy, does you good."

nik12, Oct 23, 11:36am
Broccoli, bacon, cashew and spring onion with a dressing. 1/4C vinegar 1/2 C sugar (I might have that round the wrong way!!), 1 C french dressing.
Let the Broccoli, cut into tiny florrets, marinade in the vinegar and sugar over night, or as long as you can then add cashew's, spring onions and cooked bacon.
I just tasted this tonight and am hoping I've remembered what I was told right. it was so yummy!