Bread at the Cup and Saucer Cafe

mothergoose4, Oct 20, 3:01am
My husband and I stopped at this little cafe on our way back from Christchurch a couple of weeks ago.

With our lunch meal we were given a few slices of the most beautiful cheese bread.It was a lovely golden colour and had quite a strong flavour.

Anyone been there and tasted it??Any ideas what they could have used to get the golden yellow colour it had??

mrsglendhu, Oct 20, 3:13am
Have you phoned them to ask? If you get the recipe, I would be interested in seeing it on here.

cookessentials, Oct 20, 3:19am
it may have had polenta in it?

mothergoose4, Jan 10, 2:48am
Very excited.While looking through some old magazines last week for ideas on our new bathroom, I found a recipe that I think may just do the trick.

It uses cornmeal, which will give it the lovely golden colour, and "extra" tasty cheese.Not quite sure what that is, was an australian mag so am just going to use tasty for the first attempt and see how I go.

Will let you all know if it is similar to the one at the cafe we had.

griffo4, Jan 10, 10:45pm
Polenta and cornmeal are the same thing
There is coarse ground and fine ground l sprinkle it in my mince recipe to thicken it as well

wildflower, Jan 11, 3:19am
I've done corn bread and used a mix of fine and coarse cornmeal, with a sprinkle of coarse on top, yum:)

buzzy110, Jan 11, 5:05am
Extra Tasty Cheese comes in the black wrapper. A bit expensive, IMO to be baked unceremoniously in bread, no matter how nice it is. I wonder if they used some sort of cheese powder, like the type they have in some packet sauces (I think) to get that strong cheese flavour and colour.

Not sure about the source of the cheese powder, but I remember some time back someone said she used it to enhance a cheesy dish or something or other that she made all the time.

I only say this in passing because I only make my own bread now and cornmeal/polenta doesn't make that much of a difference in the colour scheme unless you use a lot and then your bread won't hold together.

mothergoose4, Oct 20, 3:01am
My husband and I stopped at this little cafe on our way back from Christchurch a couple of weeks ago.

With our lunch meal we were given a few slices of the most beautiful cheese bread.It was a lovely golden colour and had quite a strong flavour.

Anyone been there and tasted it!Any ideas what they could have used to get the golden yellow colour it had!

mrsglendhu, Oct 20, 3:13am
Have you phoned them to ask! If you get the recipe, I would be interested in seeing it on here.

cookessentials, Oct 20, 3:19am
it may have had polenta in it!