Bacon/corn/cheese muffins

missy90, Oct 19, 4:32am
Hi all - i am looking for a good recipie for savory bacon, sweet corn and cheese muffins.I had this amazing recipie years ago that used wholemeal flour, bacon, corn, and sugar, onion etc but cant find it.All the ones ive made end up too tough and very hard/crusty on top.Im looking for a softer muffin much like the sweet muffins i usually make, any ideas?

greerg, Oct 19, 4:38am
This one makes about 15 tender muffins. You could probably substitute wholemeal flour and baking powder for at least some of the SR flour.

2½ cups grated tasty cheese, chopped garlic chives (or onion)
2 cups self raising-flour, parsley (if onion instead of chives)
2 rashers bacon cooking and diced,½ cup frozen sweetcorn if liked
Pinch cayenne pepper, 1 egg, 1 tbspn sugar,1½ cups milk

Mix all dry ingredients then add egg and milk beaten together.Bake for approximately 15 minutes at 200o C.

eastie3, Oct 19, 4:53am
Over mixing can result in tough muffins,just mix enough to fold the ingredients in,Alison Holst says it doesn't matterif there is streaks of flour remaining.

dilligaf_dah, Oct 19, 10:24am
add oil and a little baking soda this helps soften the mix and makes the muffins moist.

smileeah, Oct 19, 10:50pm
I used this Hearty Savoury Muffin recipe from Foodlovers recently but I made a few changes/additions and they are the nicest savoury muffins I have ever made.

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small onion finely chopped
4 rashers streaky bacon chopped
2 cups flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
50g butter, melted
1 ½ cups milk
1 egg, whisked
1 cup grated cheese
1 cup frozen corn kernels

Method
Preheat
oven to 200 C. Heat olive oil in a pan and saute onion and bacon until bacon
softens and bacon crisps. Sift flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl
and make a well. Add butter, milk egg, cheese, corn, onion and bacon and
stir to combine, don't overmix. Bake for 12-15 minutes.

Changes: I added mushrooms and garlic to the pan with onions and bacon. Added parsley, finely chopped orange capsicum and lightly steamed silverbeet. Added a splosh (approx 1-2T) of olive oil, half crumbled cube of vegetable oxo and 1/4t curry powder and s+p of course. Took a bit more effort but they are to die for IMO.

smileeah, Jun 11, 9:01am
Oh and I added a dollop of cream cheese on the top before baking.