Advice Please for NON dairy Products.

Page 1 / 2
orcawhale, Oct 19, 2:46am
been advised by GP not to give Dairy Products.

He said

No milk
cheese
yoghurt
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

are eggs included?

what about coleslaw? (the dressing)

valentino, Oct 19, 3:16am
Could you give why "no Dairy Products".

What is the main reason then I'm sure those in the know will give their thoughts on what to do.... includes butter but what about meats.

Cheers.

orcawhale, Oct 19, 3:22am
possible allergy to something.

diareha(sp)

has had tummy cramps

been checked. had bloods. gp thinks allergy to something

valentino, Oct 19, 3:28am
Best to narrow that allergy to know more on it....

Dairy products to me dose not quite give tummy cramps unless you do have something that is affected by dairy products and needs closer attention, something else could be brewing and further investigation is a must.....

Check with the GP to find out more precisely....

There are a number of various contributors in various fields that will assist but nice to know exactly the problem.

Hopes this helps.

Cheers.

nfh1, Oct 19, 3:51am
I think you should re-check with your GP - if you are avoiding them completely then you will need to watch your calcium intake.

I would not class as eggs as dairy products.

buzzy110, Oct 19, 3:53am
Eggs are not a dairy product.They come from a hen not a cow.

For dressings all you have to do is read the label - assuming you don't make your own. If it has milk or milk solids, cream or butter then it has dairy. If not then it isn't.

bedazzledjewels, Oct 19, 4:21am
You could substitute coconut milk for dairy milk - it's better for you than soy products.

buzzy110, Oct 19, 4:35am
I notice his advice didn't include cream so I am guessing that he is thinking along the lines that it is the lactose in the milk that could be causing the problem, hence you are still allowed to use butter and cream.

Personally I think he is trying and the fact that he recognises that a food allergy, or similar may have a bearing on the situation is good. All you really need to do to help is to go to your library and get out a book on food allergies and have a read. If nothing else, at least you will acquire some knowledge about foods you didn't have before and be less confused than you appear to be at present.

frances1266, Oct 19, 4:35am
Contrary to what some say soy products are fine, in fact research has proven that they are good for health.Rice and almond milk are good and can be home made.Light Licks dairy free ice cream is very good and comes in a few flavours.Olivani can be used instead of butter.
Dairy free cheeses are available, they are expensive and ok but not fantastic.Cheezely is ok on pizza, just add it in the last few mins of cooking.Beef is dairy so not ok.You can buy a dairy free cream at health food shops.Most of these things can be made at home and cost a lot less.Find some vegan websites and you will find recipes.
Bryanna Clark Grogan is very good for dairy free dairy subs.Her website is www.notesfromtheveganfeastkitchen and her recipes are really good.
HTH

davidt4, Oct 19, 4:36am
"Dairy products" includes anything that originates from cows' milk - cheese, cream, butter, yoghurt, quark, mascarpone, milk powder.Also, of course, manufactured foods that include any of these things.

Eggs are not included, nor is goats' milk, sheeps' milk or buffalo milk.

You may be confused by the habit that many food writers have of lumping eggs and all milks and cheeses in with "dairy" for the sake of tidy chapter headings.

There are various components of dairy that upset people - you should ask your doctor which element she/he is wanting you to steer clear of.It could be lactose or casein or butterfat or something else altogether.

buzzy110, Oct 19, 4:37am
You may also want to locate a book called, The Devil Is In The Milk, by a Dr Thomas Cowan. It will open your eyes to a whole new way of thinking about what goes into your gob.

davidt4, Oct 19, 4:41am
And by the way, beef is not a dairy product.It is turned into food in an abattoir, not a dairy.

bedazzledjewels, Oct 19, 4:51am
Ha ha Frances - when I'm eating my lovely juicy steak tonight, I'll have a chuckle to think that you believe I'd be eating "dairy".

frances1266, Oct 19, 5:02am
My understanding is that beef is included in dairy - I hope your steak ..................

bedazzledjewels, Oct 19, 5:05am
will be juicy and gorgeous and perfectly cooked and accompanied by beautiful asparagus with melting butter (which IS dairy).

nfh1, Oct 19, 5:06am
I definitely would not consider beef to be dairy and have not heard anyone else describe it as such.

hestia, Oct 19, 5:21am
There seems to be some confusion here. In your GP's words, what did he say? Did he specifically mention an allergy, or was it lactose intolerance. With dairy, an allergy and an intolerance are two distinct conditions.

uli, Oct 19, 5:53am
Might be wrong that understanding of yours.
Where did it originate from?

valentino, Oct 19, 6:09am
Beef is not dairy, I only added meats mainly wondering if there were other reasons that are a possibility...

There are a number of things with dairy but would be nice to know exactly what the GP is getting at.

Cheers.

orcawhale, Oct 19, 7:26pm
has had 2 lots of bloods and tested for a range of things.

i wrote it down on notes on my mobile. (its great like that)

crons disease? bowel problems?
celiack disease? .bowel not absorbing properly.

the tummy cramps have eased and now dirahhea started again.

gp said what he was testing the blood for? came back it showed allergy to something.

orcawhale, Oct 19, 7:29pm
cheers. I just always thought of dairy products as

cheese. butter, yoghurt.milk etc

food with milk in it

valentino, Oct 19, 8:08pm
Thank you, a number of people here are well clued up re celiac disease, especially gluten free diet use.

Also re crohns (I think is the correct spelling) is more trickier and the need to eat fish or have fish oil in your diet to assist.
My understanding is this can be quite problematic in more ways than you think.

Once again, there will be some whom can assist you with this as some have noted above and will direct you as such.

In the meantime, enter celiac in the search area and select anytime for thoughts posted to date.

Also google those two diseases to get a better picture.

Hopes this helps.

Cheers.

valentino, Oct 19, 9:46pm
That allergy could also be a guise or should one say the trigger, reason for the importance of finding out precisely what the allergy is.

If it is Dairy products, then one needs to be more definitive which dairy products and why to each one, push the GP on this, it is very important to know.

For example, yoghurt is very good and actually helps the indigestive system and to delete this from one's diet must have a very strong reason behind it, so really stress the point with your GP or get him (her) to write down the no's no's and then take it from there.

Hopes this helps a little and one knows that others may think otherwise but find out for your own peace of mind at least after all, it is very serious when one is forced to change a diet and it's relevant consequences overall (to your body).

Cheers.

valentino, Oct 19, 11:22pm
Oh orcawhale, noted that you are having Migraine problems as well.

Ouuucccchhhhh!!!

Dairy products is one of the worse things to have when one is sufferring from migraines...

To help with migraines, try a feverfew & marmite (vegemite) sandwich.

Very lightly spread a slice of bread with a smear of marmite (it helps with the strong taste of feverfew) then cut into half, on one half about 4 to 5 nice fresh leaves of the herb plant "Feverfew", close sandwich with other half and simply eat it all and not to think of the taste.

After about an hour or hour and a half, a cold flush will go through your body, then hopefully you will be clear as a bell (so-to-speak).

One should be able to purchase a plant from your garden centre, is a self seeding and grows very easily.

cheers.

Edited to change butter to spread..... hmmmm.

uli, Oct 20, 12:34am
valentino - a tea of feverfew is most likely better than bread if you have stomach problams already. Grains would be the first thing I would cut out together with dairy.

And if you want to google it is spelled Crohn's and Coeliac.

Good luck - I hope you get some relief!