Spanish Cream

butterfly70, Feb 25, 8:52pm
Has anyone got a recipe for the spanish cream my mother used to make 40-50 years ago? In the days before ice cream was a standard dessert! I would love it to try again. Thanks.

245sam, Feb 25, 9:57pm
butterfly70, I recall from when I was a child that Mum quite often made Spanish Cream from a Spanish Cream packet mix (like jelly crystals, instant pudding... . . ) but I'm assuming that you want a back-to-basics/make-it-from-sc-
ratch recipe such as this one from:-

http://trademecooks.net.nz/viewtopic. php? f=19&t=482

"Spanish Cream
1 tbs. gelatine, 600ml Milk, 2 eggs, 50 g. sugar and vanilla ess. Soften gelatine in a saucepan with a little cold milk, add remainder of milk and stir over a low heat until gelatine is dissolved, then add sugar and lightly-beaten egg yoks. Stir with a wooden spoon over a low heat until the mixture coats the wooden spoon. Cool, then add stiffly beaten egg whites and vanilla. Pour into a wet mould and leave to set. That is straight out of the Edmonds book. Good luck. Used to make it a lot when kids were small. Everyone loved it. posted by gildon"

Hope that helps. :-))

indy95, Feb 25, 10:03pm
Here you are, butterfly70 :-

Spanish Cream

Soften 1 tbsp gelatine in a little cold milk then add a further 600 ml of milk and stir over a LOW heat until gelatine is dissolved.

Add 50g sugar and 2 egg yolks which have been lightly beaten together and stir, preferably with a wooden spoon over a low heat until the mixture coats the spoon.

Cool the custard as quickly as possible then fold in the egg whites which have been beaten to the soft peak stage and a few drops of vanilla.

Pour into a bowl and refrigerate until set.

butterfly70, Feb 25, 10:07pm
That sounds simple enough. Will make it tomorrow. Thanks.

quicke, Feb 26, 11:21pm
mmmm my gran used to make the best spanish cream is one of my many memories of staying with her in the school hols... . yummmmm

bartcat, Feb 27, 6:06am
Is the Spanish Cream meant to separate into layers once it is set?

kirinesha, Feb 27, 3:38pm
Yes, that's how I remember it... ...

paynta1, Feb 27, 3:52pm
Yummy I remember it to, in the packet kings I think it was

kiwisapper, Feb 28, 3:25am
Here is one from the "Housewife's Household Guide, " issued by the Federated Farmers in the South Auckland Provincial Area to "Every member of the Women's Institute in the Waikato Federation and Women's Division. ". I gained it from my Mother who spent time in the Waikato back in the 1940/ 50's so I imagine itwas issued before then because the original owner's name has been cut and my Mother's name written in.

It is for an uncooked version.

Disolve ... ... 1 tbs gelatine and 1 packetof lemon jelly crystals
in... ... ... ... ... one cup of boiling water.
Put in a basen and add ... ... . . 2 well beaten egg yolks,
then ... ... ... ... . 2 cups of milk
lastly ... ... ... . . whites of two eggs well beaten.
Set for ... ... ... 2 hours.

I do wonder if the contribuor, A NofkeRaglan Karioi WDFU has relatives still in the area?
I can recall to this day how I loved the honey comb effect the egg whites would produce on top of the solid lower layer.

butterfly70, Feb 28, 6:19am
I made the Spanish Cream and it was delicious - as I remember it. Thanks for the idea of the one with lemon jelly. It reminded me that my mother also made that and sliced banana into it and it was always called Banana Spanish Cream. It was served to visitors with a swirl/blob of whipped cream on top.
I got a little layer of jelly in the middle of the one I made.

cathy, Mar 21, 12:25pm
Spanish cream was our Sunday lunch desert throughout my childhood in the 60's-70's There was a packet mix you could buy and often look for this iten inthe super market today but have been unsuccessful. Buttomake spainsh cream is easy just follow the recipes above and enjoy!