Trial and error with pavlova recipe

Page 1 / 3
smileeah, Oct 17, 9:55pm
I have tried several pavlova recipes lately and decided I would get my late grandmothers recipe to try because her pav's were the BEST! So the first pavlova I made with her recipe turned out exactly like hers with a light crispy crust and just the right amount of chewyness and a layer of marshmallow that wasn't too thick, and I was so excited. But then I made another one yesterday and it was just not the same and I really don't know why, this time the marshmallow was thick and the crust was thick and heavy and there was no chewyness at all (which is my favourite part of a pavlova). Why oh why!?? I am trying to figure out what part of the process effects these things, is it the cooking time/temp, the beating time, the freshness of the eggs, the size it is spread out to on the tray or ?? It is so frustrating because I have got my heart set on making some for the family at christmas but it needs to be just like nana's or I'll cry. :)

luckyduck, Oct 17, 10:18pm
It might be the eggs. I have a very good recipe which I have churned out for years but every so often it does not turn out as good as it should do despite making it the same each time. I would be interested in what the answer is.

sooseque, Oct 17, 10:31pm
Any chance you could post your Grandmothers recipe please as I also like one that is chewy, I would like to give it a go.

smileeah, Oct 18, 12:01am
Well sure. Let me know how it turns out for you.

4 egg whites
3/4c sugar
1 t vanilla
1 t vinegar

Prepare tray and preheat oven to 150c.
Beat whites stiffly.
Add sugar, vanilla and vinegar, beat until very stiff, all sugar is dissolved and it is stiff and shiny. Turn out onto prepared tray. Shape to a neat round with sides piled up.
Place in oven and then reduce to 120c. Bake approx 1 & 1/2 hours, but time does depend on how you like your pavlova. Open door a little and let cool.

I used castor sugar and malt vinegar and I pretty much dumped all the sugar in at once. Made it the same way each time but got different results as I said. Good luck.

smileeah, Oct 18, 8:58pm
I guess in hind sight I should have titled this thread with a question. I am still keen to know, if anyone can help, which part of the pavlova making process affects which part of the pavlova. I am thinking google would help but if anyone here knows I would appreciate them sharing. :)

dragonzflame, Oct 18, 10:53pm
I've only ever done one pav (and the beaters died halfway through so had to finish by hand!), but I thought you were supposed to add the sugar in slowly rather than all at once.

Other thing is, I think the bowl has to be really, really clean. Not saying your bowl wasn't but I know in my house sometimes it varies depending on who's done the dishes, and which tea towel it's been dried with ;-)

fifie, Oct 18, 11:13pm
My understanding that the secret to a good pavalova is 3 things.
Use egg whites at room temperature not from fridge, in a perfectly clean mixing bowl .
Make sure you have beat your sugar well with egg whites, rub a little of the mixture between your fingers if you can feel the sugar grains beat it more, if you don't feel the grains rubbing on your fingers its done, electric mixers best for this.
When pav is cooked leave it in the oven turned off overnight to cool down, so it drys out the outside meringue completely.
Sometimes things like eggs, temperature in some ovens, can vary and its beyond your control but i find mostly these 3 things give you a perfect pav every time..

smileeah, Oct 18, 11:58pm
Thanks for your replies. I also read on a site today that you should begin to beat the eggs slowly which if I remember rightly I did the first time but not the second, and the other thing I did the second time differently was take the pav out of the oven before it was stone cold. I will experiment with the sugar adding and make sure my bowl is extra clean and see how I go next time.
Interestingly, I have followed recipes that say to add sugar slowly then add vinegar when dissolved and I have found the sugar is still not dissolved after 30 min of beating whereas with nana's recipe it says to add all sugar at the same time as the vinegar and the sugar seems to dissolve within 10 mins. I figure the vinegar helps the process.
I'm determined to figure this out. We are lucky enough to have a ready supply of eggs at the moment so that helps. Oh that's the other thing, I used very fresh eggs last time but I can't remember if the successful pav was made with very fresh eggs or not.

fifie, Oct 19, 1:27am
I wouldn't use very fresh eggs as they won't whip up the volume of meringue you want, use 2-3 day old ones. If its any help to you i always make pavs in the evening and leave them in the oven overnight to cool, use castor sugar as its finer and dissolves easier, adding a tablespoon at a time and beating well in between adding sugar, for a recipe similar to yours. I have another recipe also for a very crunchie pav that freezes well which you shove everything in the bowl at once and beat, works well to if you like that kind of pav. Have tried taking it out of the oven earlier also but found its not as crispy on outside and mine usually flop in the middle as well lol....

cookessentials, Oct 19, 1:39am
Use caster sugar instead of ordinary granulated sugar as it incorporates far more easily. Definatley the same thoughts as fifie above. I use malt ( brown) vinegar and I do mine in a springform tin.
I use an old Margaret Fulton pavlova recipe which uses six egg whites and it never fails.

alebix, Oct 19, 2:55am
It could be anything from the eggs to the temp of your oven to the humidty in your house.

smileeah, Nov 3, 1:28am
OK so I think I may have answered my own question...I pondered my problem and one of my thoughts was - Nana's pavlova's were much rounder than mine so I assumed she must have doubled the recipe but then I remembered they were quite flat also and it hit me! Try spreading the pavlova out more on the tray. I am such a stickler for instructions that I was always piling them high like all the recipes said to which is great if you want a marshmallowy pav. So I tried spreading it and I got a lovely chewy pavlova with not too much marshmallow. Yay!!! Have another one in the oven now just to make sure it wasn't a fluke. Just thought I would share for anyone else wanting to make a chewy pavlova.

smileeah, Nov 3, 4:39am
I might have spoken too soon...it's chewy alright, too chew with no marshmallow at all lol. And the finished pav looks like it's weeping so I guess it's back to the drawing board. Oh how I wish it was as straight forward as most other baking. But I WILL NOT GIVE UP!

kernal1, Nov 8, 2:35am
No great cook but can make a good pav 99% of the time! LOL. Weeping I have been told is too much sugar.
I just use 1 /2 teacup of caster sugar, per egg white(min 3), beat till thick with pinch of salt (told this breaks down the whites easier and teaspoon water. (Clean, lint free bowl is paramount.) Slowly add the caster sugar, maybe 1/2 cup at a time and when all in stop mixer and fold in so none is stuck on the edges of bowl. Beat for at least 1/4 hr (hopefully you have an older Kenwood) till sugar desolves, add teasp vinalla near finish, teasp vinegar, 2 teasp corn flour and 1/2 - 3/4 teasp baking powder. Pile on normal greaseproof, shape as desired, maybe just a little smaller than serving plate, oven preheated to 180 deg but turn down when pav in (added heat sets so doesn't run) to 150 deg, keep an eye on it not browning (ovens vary) and cook for 1 - 1/2 hrs or even turn off oven and leave overnight. Opening the door doesn't seem to matter! Lovely high, outside crunchie, inside soft! (My quantities are pretty general, I just guess and put together!)
I do give my Kenwood alot of the credit for my pavs!

eastie3, Nov 8, 4:39am
kernal1 wrote:

No great cook but can make a good pav 99% of the time! LOL. Weeping I have been told is too much sugar.
I just use 1 /2 teacup of caster sugar, per egg white(min 3), beat till thick with pinch of salt (told this breaks down the whites easier and teaspoon water. (Clean, lint free bowl is paramount.) Slowly add the caster sugar, maybe 1/2 cup at a time and when all in stop mixer and fold in so none is stuck on the edges of bowl. Beat for at least 1/4 hr (hopefully you have an older Kenwood) till sugar desolves, add teasp vinalla near finish, teasp vinegar, 2 teasp corn flour and 1/2 - 3/4 teasp baking powder....

Thanks for the tip on egg white ratio to caster sugar,but adding baking powder is a new one to me kernal.I always thought the beating of the whites provided the aeration and the structure of the pav so am wondering why the bp is used ? Also,a grease free bowl is vital,I have read that wiping the inside of the bowl with a cut lemon is useful,although I have never done this.

gordy8252, Nov 8, 5:28am
x1
I changed to white vinegar and it makes a whiter better tasting pav then malt vinegar

kernal1, Nov 8, 8:33am
Cheers! Just found that BP works! Have left it out but still swear by the actual beating as the main success! Have done a 'quick pav"! Throw everything in, beat madly. 160 oven and in an hour suitable for a quick treat! 2 egg whites for this one, watch oven temp! Not nearly as good but better than a brought one! LOL
Small amount of water and pinch of salt make eggs whip better before adding sugar, even work with the quick one!
Still give 95% credit to my old Kenwood!

granni, Nov 8, 9:30am
Have made my pavs this way for many years.People are always very impressed and been able to produce beautiful pavs after their first attempt.Good luck!!!

6 egg whites
12 oz castor sugar
1 tsp vinegar
1 tsp vanilla ess
2 tsp cornflour

Make sure mixing bowl is greasefree and dry.Add egg whites(room temp) and beat slowly till combined well.Turn mixer to full speed and beat egg whites for a full half hour.Turn beater to slow and add castor sugar, a tablespoon at a time beating fast between each spoonful to dissolve well.After all the sugar has been SLOWLY added,put mixer to slow again and add the vinegar then vanilla,beat well at each addition and then add the corn flour.Beat well again.Mixture should be very firm and shiny.Sparingly grease a baking tray(butter) place a sheet of greaseproof paper ontop of the tray and grease the top of the paper. I pile mixture into the shape of a half ball shape mound.Bake 130 for 60min.Do not open door at any stage.Leave in oven to cool.Once cool you can tap/crack top downwards a little to flatten to add cream and fruit ontop.Turns out beautifully every time for me.

smileeah, Nov 8, 9:44pm
WOW so many different ways to make a pav!
I wish I had an old Kenwood. I do have one of those normal handbeaters on a stand though so I don't have to stand there the whole time.
I knew to beat the egg whites for a long time but gee Granni, there is an awful lot of beating in your recipe!
I think my problem last time was not enough beating. Does anyone know if it is possible to overbeat the whites??

granni, Nov 8, 11:13pm
smileeah wrote:

I knew to beat the egg whites for a long time but gee Granni, there is an awful lot of beating in your recipe!

Ha ha..yes, the whole family(and probably the neighbours as well) know when I am making pav.The kitchen is a noisy place.Works for us tho and all good things do take time!

princesspossum, Nov 9, 7:30am
Granni, is your pav quite a marshmellowy pav? or is it more dense and chewy?

granni, Nov 9, 8:04am
It is large and crisp outside,with marshmellow and chewy as well.We all love it.I usually get called to make 3 each xmas

moore., Nov 9, 9:16am
do you cook a pav on fan bake or bake.

granni, Nov 9, 6:03pm
I do 130 fan bake or 140 conventional,like my pavs to be pure white with no browning at all

levintofu, Nov 9, 9:52pm
cookiessentials pav recipe is the bestest ever!!!
you would think a spring form tin is not very traditional but it totally works like a charm!!