Boiled Salad Dressing recipe

hobbitelf, Oct 17, 1:06am
My Grandmother used to make it. Remember it was always on hand in the fridge throughout lettuce salad season. Can anyone post a recipe for it please?

banty, Oct 17, 1:40am
1 c. sugar
1 tbsp. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. dry mustard
1/4 c. water
1/2 c. vinegar
2 eggs
Beat eggs, add water and vinegar that dry ingredients have been mixed with. Cook until thick. Cool. Very good used for potato salad. If you want it a bit more creamy mix in a 1/2 cup sour cream when cool.

nanasee1, Oct 17, 1:53am
x1
From an old Edmonds book:
1 Tbsp butter
2 heaped Tbsp sugar
1 tsp mustard (mixed)
1 tsp salt
2 eggs
1/2 c malt vingear
Beat butter & sugar to a cream, add mustard & salth then beat in the eggs. Slowly stir in vinegar. Bring to the boil stirring all the time. If too thick thin it down with a little milk or cream just before using.

elliehen, Sep 18, 10:48am
Source: A very old Westport cookery book from the days when this was a commonly made recipe.The book dates from the days of coal ranges - one advertisement for the Westport Borough Council Gas department says, "Cook with Gas - No smoke and no soot!"

BOILED SALAD DRESSING
1 teaspoon mustard
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon salt
3 Tablespoons sugar
1 teacup vinegar
3 eggs beaten
1 cup milk

Mix mustard, salt, pepper and sugar, add beaten eggs, then milk and lastly vinegar.Cook in a double boiler stirring till thick.

pickles7, Sep 18, 11:09am
I have used the left over, mustard sauce, on the odd occasion. It is nice as a change, saves throwing it out. thin it down with milk.

hobbitelf, Oct 18, 1:06am
My Grandmother used to make it. Remember it was always on hand in the fridge throughout lettuce salad season. Can anyone post a recipe for it please!