Cooking a mutton roast?!

shedz2, Oct 16, 9:13pm
Have got a mutton leg roast to cook for tea tonight. Any suggestions as to how I should do this? My oven is full-time fan bake. Bit nervous whether or not it will be edible ...
Help!! Thanks so much!

davidt4, Oct 16, 9:33pm
x1
Mutton needs long slow cooking.Give it 5 - 6 hours at 150C in a covered roasting tin.Take the lid off for the last hour or so to let it brown.

I would slash it deeply and rub a paste of garlic, rosemary, salt and olive oil all over it.

amiri1, Oct 16, 9:39pm
Long slow cooking!
Lay it over some fresh lemon thyme, garlic and rosemary (or other herbs, this is just what I like).
Cover and cook on 120c-130c for 4-6 hours and it should be nice and tender!
I normally cook on 140-150c but fan bakes (I think) are about 10-20c hotter. Good luck! :)

amiri1, Oct 16, 9:40pm
I type way too slow! :)

shedz2, Oct 16, 10:05pm
Thanks for those tips. I should be thinking about puting it in the oven around midday then! Better get a wriggle on and get organised! Cheers

whitehead., Oct 16, 10:23pm
you could if you have a large fry pan brown it first to get the flavours going then long slow cooking .you can also take the bone out and stuff it with your best stuffing again long slow cooking is best

kay141, Oct 16, 10:38pm
I used to put slits in it. Insert rosemary and garlic in the slits. Add some water to the dish and cook, covered slowly for about 4-5 hours for a large leg. Turn it after about 2 hours. Take the cover off for the last 1/2 hour or so to brown it up.

judz46, Oct 17, 3:06am
I do mine in an oven bag - come out lovely and tender and still browns nicely - smear with garlic and brown sugar

brydey, Oct 17, 3:54am
Puncture into the fat with a sharp knife and stuff it all over with cloves of garlic and rosemary.....really yummy! ooopsse some one else already mentioned that!

pussy01, Oct 17, 6:55am
why do you people ruin a damm good roast with freakin garlick and rosemary...the meat has enough flavour by its self

amiri1, Jun 6, 6:05pm
x1
Because some people like it with rosemary and garlic! No point getting peeved. :)