Help - fudge chewy!

cap, Oct 16, 1:56am
I like to make Alison Holst's "Fabulous Fudge" in the microwave.I don't make it too often and have only made it twice since we got our new microwave.First time it was for a gift and it turned out great - lovely melt in your mouth texture.Then I made it last week for my husband to take to work and it was just a big gooey mess!He said everyone like it but I was rather mortified.The recipe says to cook for 7 - 9 minutes.I can't recall how long I did it with the first successful batch but I know with the second I did 9 minutes.Does over cooking make it chewy?Both lots I beat by hand for the recommended 5 minutes.Just wish I knew what I was doing wrong (or what I did right)!Thanks.

southerngurl, Oct 16, 3:44am
if you over cook fudge it starts to become toffee :)
send it down here, i love chewy fudge...

cap, Oct 16, 9:28pm
Thanks Southerngurl.I must have cooked the first batch for 7 minutes and the second for 9 minutes.I think for my tastes the 7 minutes is better.Thankfully you are not the only one who likes chewy fudge as it all got eaten.

clare, Mar 30, 12:16am
I cook mine until the mixture changes colour from being the condensed milk look to a medium caramel. if it is 'chewy' just microwave for another 2 mins. I think I tend to cook for 10 mins minimum but as I said, I tend to use the change of colour as my setting test. Also, I beat with an electric beater for a good 5 minutes.