Using frozen strawberries to make jam

markfish, Oct 15, 8:30pm
I have a large amount of frozen strawberries (broken down into 1kg lots) and want to make strawbery jam out of them.Have never made jam before and was wanting to know if I need to thaw the strawberries b efore using them or can I use them from frozen.Have used the search function for jam making but none of them seem to answer this questions.Can anyone help please?

pickles7, Oct 15, 8:35pm
Throw those out and wait for the fresh strawberries. They are way past there use by date. There will be lots of strawberries around after Xmas.

greerg, Oct 15, 8:35pm
This is my mother's recipe that I have always used with frozen strawberries very successfully.Good luck with yours.
3 kgs strawberries, 2.5 kg sugar, 2 teasp lemon juice

Place fruit in preserving pan with sugar and lemon juice and stand overnight.Do not thaw before adding sugar if berries are frozen.Bring to boil while stirring gently then boil rapidly for ten minutes or until setting point is reached.Leave to stand for 30 minutes before bottling.

ttwisty, Oct 15, 8:35pm
i thawed my frozen strawberries only that i didn't want to much water or liquid in the jam when cooking

markfish, Oct 15, 8:40pm
Thanks for the advise, will thaw the strawberrries before using.

winnie231, Oct 15, 10:44pm
I don't thaw berries before making jam, or any fruit before cooking for that matter, as I don't like the discolouration that often happens.
I always cook from frozen with great results.

duckmoon, Oct 16, 7:11am
I don't thaw berries before making jam...
The heat in the pot warms them...

jag5, Oct 16, 7:21am
Cook from frozen, the excess moisture will boil off in the process.I, too, have heaps from last year, and the colour of them is still perfect, they are as good as gold.Would never contemplate throwing them out.I will use the fresh ones this year for eating LOL but will probably still have some left over to freeze again.

markfish, Jun 4, 4:16pm
Thanks everyone for your advise, made the jam yesterday and turned out perfect.Will definately not be throwing out the remaining frozen berries.