Would you eat soup left out all night?

Page 1 / 2
gabrielle4, Oct 12, 9:01pm
did the usual, made a huge pot of chicken soup and forgot to put it in the fridge before going to bed, went into the fridge about 7.30 this morning. if by choice would you consider it still safe to eat?

cookessentials, Oct 12, 9:02pm
in this cooler weather, yes, I probably would.

lilyfield, Oct 12, 9:11pm
depends how warm your house is. At 22 degrees-no, at 15 over night -yes.

shelleigh, Oct 12, 9:14pm
Definitely not when it's been out for several hours :(

nfh1, Oct 12, 9:39pm
Absolutely not.

cookessentials, Oct 12, 9:41pm
If it was hot/humid wather, that would be different.

shelleigh, Oct 12, 9:48pm
I would definitely not be taking any risks eating anything with chicken in it that has been out overnight. It's not worth risking food poisoning.

ribzuba, Oct 12, 10:03pm
chicken? salmonella?

cookessentials, Oct 12, 10:07pm
well, gabrielle, you have your answers...completely up to you now.

malcovy, Oct 12, 10:32pm
Most definitely yes but I would give it a good three minutes simmering at least before eating it.The only food poisoning I have ever had was from a takeaway bar in Browns Bay and that was from onions.

luckyduck, Oct 12, 10:57pm
Depends on the ingredients and the temperature in was sitting in. I think I would be very cautious though as food poisoning is no fun.

smileeah, Oct 12, 11:02pm
Even if I didn't think it would make me sick I don't think I would enjoy it knowing it had been on the bench all night. I might let the family eat it though after making sure it was very very well reheated. lol They've got iron stomachs. ;)

dragonzflame, Oct 13, 12:06am
Yeah, I actually would if the night hadn't been too warm. Especially in my uninsulated, cold-as-a-witch's-tit house ;-) The chicken would already have been well cooked, and as long as you brought it to a good boil and simmered for five or so minutes and ate it REALLY hot, I'm sure it would be fine. But then I'm one of those people with the cast-iron stomach of a labrador.

indy95, Oct 13, 12:09am
No, I wouldn't, It's not worth the risk.

pickles7, Oct 13, 3:25am
NO bin it. put it down the loo!!!

uli, Oct 13, 5:55am
So what did you do gabrielle4 ?

gabrielle4, Oct 13, 8:05am
thanks for all you replies, the majority it seems wouldn't risk it..... still deciding what to do with it..lol can't bring myself to throw it out!

uli, Oct 13, 8:23am
Why don't you bring it to a rolling boil - and then after its boiled for 5 to 10 minutes do a smell and/or taste test. If it has gone off then you will smell or taste it.

My opinion is that it will be fine - as I have often left big pots of chicken or beef stock out of the fridge over night - simply because they didn't fit in :)

alebix, Oct 13, 8:23am
I sure would. I do it all the time with my soup. But yes its always over winter and it gets quite chilly here.

Just make sure its piping hot.

stormbaby, Oct 13, 9:57am
Personally I would boil up rice and mix it in and give it to the dogs, thoroughly cursing myself for wasting it while I did so!!

lillol, Oct 13, 7:33pm
I'd give some to my mother in law first and if she didn't get sick then I'd let the rest of the family have some hehehe!

uli, Oct 14, 6:00am
still contemplating gabrielle4 ?

prendy1, Oct 14, 6:04am
In the old days they left the same pot of soup on the stove for days, adding to it as they went...

duckmoon, Oct 14, 6:31am
I would use my nose...
if it smelt good, then yes.

nfh1, Oct 14, 6:34am
No problem leaving it on the stove to stay hot but different to leave it on the work surface.