Quick and tasty dessert

novices, Oct 12, 8:33pm
If people call in unexpectedly what is a good idea to keep in the store cupboard

pom4, Oct 12, 8:36pm
for a quick and easy dessert I make up 2 different coloured Instant Puddings, put one colour in the bottom of glasses then 2nd colour on top then top with whipped cream and sprinkle with hundreds and thousands or shaved chocolate.
Looks colourful, tastes yum and quick easy and cheap to make.
Looks great in drinking glasses.

cookessentials, Oct 12, 8:58pm
check the "desserts" thread, there is a heap of ideas there.

red2, Oct 12, 9:04pm
Pastry sheets in the freezer and apples in the fruit bowl - apple tart

ribzuba, Oct 12, 10:04pm
i make a baked cheesecake and a firm set chocolate mousse cake and leave them in the freezer, takes about 1 hour to defrost so i can always look awesome haha

smileeah, Oct 12, 11:06pm
I copied the following recipe from here a while ago and I can recommend it for a quick, easy dessert. I didn't have nuts so I sprinkled rolled oats on it instead and I would use a wee bit less salt next time.

Paradise Pudding...Sift 1 cup flour, stir in 1 cup sugar ,add 1 beaten egg and a tin of fruit salad (juice included). Add 1 tsp each of baking soda and salt. Pour into greased pan and sprinkle with 3/4cup brown sugar and 3/4cup chopped nuts. Bake 175c for approx 30 mins. Serve with icecream, whipped cream or plain yoghurt.

smileeah, Oct 12, 11:08pm
Also have a recipe for a Jo Seagar Pineapple Shortcake which uses store cupboard ingredients and is very impressive (I think). Will find it for you later.

fisher, Oct 13, 12:06am
Chocolate Sorbet
On you stove top,boil 300ml of milk.
Place in blender500g of chocolate buttons1 raw egg2 tbsp white sugar2 nips of your favourite dark alcohol (brandy whiskey rum bourbon)
Set the blender to low speed, pour the boiled milk in slowly and blend till it JUST turns smooth..The hot milk will melt the chocolate..
Pour this into your desert serving bowls/dish and place a sprig of mint to one side and put in the fridge to set for about 30 mins..
Serve with knob of whipped cream on top.. maybe a strawberry during summer...

smileeah, Oct 14, 1:01am
Jo Seagar's Pineapple Shortcake

Bring one 455g can crushed pineapple in juice or syrup to boil (use two cans if you want a richer filling. And I add 2T sugar if I'm using pineapple in juice). Thicken with 3T custard powder mixed to a paste with 1/4c water. Cool.
In a food processor, cream 125g butter and 3/4c sugar, add 1 egg and sifted 1/4c cornflour, 1 1/2c flour and 1t baking powder. Remove half the dough and press into a shallow sponge roll tin and spread with cooled pineapple filling. Add extra 1/4c flour (approx) to remaining dough and pulse until mixture crumbles. Sprinkle over pineapple filling, pressing down gently. Bake for 25-30 min at 180c. When cooked dust with icing sugar, serve warm or cold with cream or ice-cream.

macandrosie, Oct 14, 8:58am
Here's a quick recipe, tastes good & easy to make!

Chocolate Cornflake Dessert
2 cups kornies
1-2 tabs cocoa
½ cup sugar
Mix altogether & press into a large Tupperware container. Place in freezer till firm [30 mins or so]. Make up a chocolate instant pudding according to recipe, add also a cup of whipped cream. Just prior to serving pour over the base, sprinkle with choc chips if desired.

lindylambchops1, Jan 23, 5:47am
OMG! this is soooo goood.I just made it tonight.I would call it a Mousse not a sorbet!Thank you for sharing Fisher.Delicious!

darlingmole, Jan 23, 7:19am
Oh Fisher - you are SO good!!!I'm trying that one out 2moro for sure

elliehen, Jan 23, 7:24am
Do you have your favourite recipes for each?

smileeah, Oct 12, 11:06pm
I copied the following recipe from here a while ago and I can recommend it for a quick, easy dessert. I didn't have nuts so I sprinkled rolled oats on it instead and I would use a wee bit less salt next time.

Paradise Pudding.Sift 1 cup flour, stir in 1 cup sugar ,add 1 beaten egg and a tin of fruit salad (juice included). Add 1 tsp each of baking soda and salt. Pour into greased pan and sprinkle with 3/4cup brown sugar and 3/4cup chopped nuts. Bake 175c for approx 30 mins. Serve with icecream, whipped cream or plain yoghurt.

fisher, Oct 13, 12:06am
Chocolate Sorbet
On you stove top,boil 300ml of milk.
Place in blender500g of chocolate buttons1 raw egg2 tbsp white sugar2 nips of your favourite dark alcohol (brandy whiskey rum bourbon)
Set the blender to low speed, pour the boiled milk in slowly and blend till it JUST turns smooth.The hot milk will melt the chocolate.
Pour this into your desert serving bowls/dish and place a sprig of mint to one side and put in the fridge to set for about 30 mins.
Serve with knob of whipped cream on top. maybe a strawberry during summer.

smileeah, Oct 14, 1:01am
Jo Seagar's Pineapple Shortcake

Bring one 455g can crushed pineapple in juice or syrup to boil (use two cans if you want a richer filling. And I add 2T sugar if I'm using pineapple in juice). Thicken with 3T custard powder mixed to a paste with 1/4c water. Cool.
In a food processor, cream 125g butter and 3/4c sugar, add 1 egg and sifted 1/4c cornflour, 1 1/2c flour and 1t baking powder. Remove half the dough and press into a shallow sponge roll tin and spread with cooled pineapple filling. Add extra 1/4c flour (approx) to remaining dough and pulse until mixture crumbles. Sprinkle over pineapple filling, pressing down gently. Bake for 25-30 min at 180c. When cooked dust with icing sugar, serve warm or cold with cream or ice-cream.

macandrosie, Oct 14, 8:58am
Here's a quick recipe, tastes good & easy to make!

Chocolate Cornflake Dessert
2 cups kornies
1-2 tabs cocoa
½ cup sugar
Mix altogether & press into a large Tupperware container. Place in freezer till firm [30 mins or so]. Make up a chocolate instant pudding according to recipe, add also a cup of whipped cream. Just prior to serving pour over the base, sprinkle with choc chips if desired.