Plum sauce, relish, chutney recipes please

Page 1 / 2
budrose, Feb 25, 5:47am
Ihave tried to scroll through the thread that is already on here for relishes, jams etc but it is to long to scroll through.

help please.

245sam, Feb 25, 5:55am
from http://trademecooks.net.nz/viewtopic. php? f=26&t=567
"Aunt Daisy's Plum Chutney
6lbs plums. . 3lbs apples. . 3lb onions. . 2lb sugar. . 1/4lb salt. . 1 level teaspoon pepper. . 1 level teaspoon mustard... 3 cups vinegar. . a small piece of garlic cut finely. . 1 dessertspoon each of allspice, pickling spices, 1/2 lb each of dates and raisins and preserved ginger... Peel core and quarter apples, cut onions fine. Boil plums in vinegar, put through sieve. Add apples, onions, and other ingredients, stir well, and boil 2 hours. Have ginger chopped and spices in a muslin bag. Remove before bottling REposted by jaky"

and for Plum Sauces have a look at:-

http://trademecooks.net.nz/viewtopic. php? f=25&t=440

Hope that recipe and the link help. :-))

amazing_grace, Feb 25, 5:56am
Hi, I made a lovely plum sauce, take a look at my blog... www.gardeningincromwell-
. blogspot.com... . Cheers

budrose, Feb 25, 6:09am
Thankyou to you both.

Have heaps of plums and can only eat so much.

This is the first time I have attempted this, but going to give it a go.

What else can you do with plums ? Anyone have any ideas ? Please

245sam, Feb 25, 6:59am
budrose, do have freezer space? - plums freeze really well and are easy to prepare for the freezer as all they need is a wash and then let them drain before they are put into bag(s) or containers.

Re other things to make with plums, here are a few suggestions... . .
jam, cake and various desserts e. g. clafouti, compote... . . and this which is one of our favourite ways of having plums.

PLUM CRISP
500g plums
½ cup sugar
1 tbsp water

Halve the plums and if possible, remove the stones. Place the halved stoned plums, cut-side up, in a single layer in an ovenproof dish and sprinkle them with the sugar and water.
Bake at 180°C for 15 minutes. Meanwhile prepare the

Topping:
3-4 tbsp butter
2 tbsp each of sugar and golden syrup
1 cup each of cornflakes and rolled oats

Melt the butter, sugar and golden syrup together in a saucepan. Stir in the cornflakes and rolled oats. Sprinkle the topping mixture over the fruit.
Bake for 30 minutes longer, until the top is crisp and golden.
Serve warm with your choice of whipped cream, icecream, yoghurt.

For more plum recipes and ideas try doing a search here on this MB - use 'plums' as the keyword and 'anytime' as the Date posted - you'll easily find the earlier threads that will have those recipes and ideas. :-))

budrose, Feb 25, 10:39am
Oh thankyou so much that sounds nice and will try it. I have a little spare freezer space but not alot. but have elderly people around me that would appreciate it as prezzies. Great ideas.

indy95, Feb 25, 7:31pm
Budrose, if you use the search box on the left of your screen and type in plum recipes as the keyword, scroll down to anytime then hit search you should find a thread titled Recipes Using Plums which was started by cookessentials and features some great ideas for plums. There are several other threads which are worth checking too.

budrose, Feb 26, 11:11am
Thankyou.

unbelievable got the local paper and it had green tomatoe chutney and relish recipes in it.

So i substituted the tomatoes for plums instead and have acid free tomatoes still green diced and through a few of those into, along with the spices etc. . and it turned out fabulous and delightful. so proud of myself and will be trying to make plum sauce tommorow.

so fingers crossed for that.

korbo, Feb 26, 5:45pm
type in my user name in the lefthand side, and click on anytime. i have posted some.

cookessentials, Feb 26, 7:53pm
Make a plum compote, it is beautiful chilled and served for breakfast. I have a recipe for boozy plums if you would like it. It makes a delightful plum drink AND then the boozy plums to serve as a dessert. You can make plum jam, plum sauce, add them to rhubarb and make a crumble.

raewyn64, Feb 26, 8:01pm
budrose can you post your recipe for the tomatoe/plum chutney you made? I too have lots of plums in the freezer and have bottled some but would like to try some chutney as well.

budrose, Feb 27, 3:07am
Hi made plum sauce as well through early hours this morning and tastes great.

I didnt have a preserving pan, so I used a kambrook long and deep fryingpan.
4 medium sized onions diced finely
2kg of plums
6 medium green tomatoes (roughly diced)
1 cup of sultanas
into pot all together add 2 1/4 cups of vinegar ( I used the malt vinegar)
1 teaspoon of salt
3 cups of brown sugar
3 dessert spoons of pickling spices (tied into a small piece of cloth into a parcel and put in.

bring to boil (dont add water) bring to boil nthen simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally until the chutney is thickened but not tacky dry (moist). a small amount of liquid is left.

remove spice bag and plum stones, spoon into hot sterilised jars and seal immediately.

Plum sauce

i just used the same measurements but only used

plums
onions
vinegar
sugar
pickling spices in spice bag
extra 2 dessert spoons of ground cloves.
dont exactly the same method
sieved the mixture prior to bottling made a lovely smooth running sauce.

All the best

skye7, Feb 3, 8:46am
Awesome blog, great recipe, thanks

greerg, Feb 3, 9:24am
Boozy plums recipe please Pam - sounds delicious.

bev00, Feb 13, 10:00am
for the plum glut

elliehen, Feb 13, 10:22am
A book worth having in your collection (one of my favourites).

pickles7, Feb 13, 10:49am
plum sauce....[hot]

6 kg of the plums ,
3 liters of vinegar ,
1 1/2 kg of brown sugar ,
1/4 cup of sea salt ,
100 grams of fresh ginger skin on and chopped ,
4 good Tblsp crushed garlic ,
2 tsp ground mace , or nutmeg
1 tsp cayenne , cut down to 1/2 teaspoon if you want a mild sauce.
5 tsp gr. all spice ,
1 Tblsp whole cloves ,
1 tsp gr. cloves ,
2 tsp gr, ginger ,
simmered that untill half the volume , approx 4 hours...
put it through a mouli , then sieve the stones to get all the flesh , makes it thicker

pickles7, Feb 13, 10:49am
plum sauce.[hot]

6 kg of the plums ,
3 liters of vinegar ,
1 1/2 kg of brown sugar ,
1/4 cup of sea salt ,
100 grams of fresh ginger skin on and chopped ,
4 good Tblsp crushed garlic ,
2 tsp ground mace , or nutmeg
1 tsp cayenne , cut down to 1/2 teaspoon if you want a mild sauce.
5 tsp gr. all spice ,
1 Tblsp whole cloves ,
1 tsp gr. cloves ,
2 tsp gr, ginger ,
simmered that untill half the volume , approx 4 hours.
put it through a mouli , then sieve the stones to get all the flesh , makes it thicker

budrose, Feb 25, 5:47am
Ihave tried to scroll through the thread that is already on here for relishes, jams etc but it is to long to scroll through.

help please.

245sam, Feb 25, 5:55am
from http://trademecooks.net.nz/viewtopic.php!f=26&t=567 "Aunt Daisy's Plum Chutney6lbs plums.3lbs apples.3lb onions.2lb sugar.1/4lb salt.1 level teaspoon pepper.1 level teaspoon mustard.3 cups vinegar.a small piece of garlic cut finely.1 dessertspoon each of allspice, pickling spices, 1/2 lb each of dates and raisins and preserved ginger.Peel core and quarter apples, cut onions fine. Boil plums in vinegar, put through sieve. Add apples, onions,and other ingredients, stir well, and boil 2 hours. Have ginger chopped and spices in a muslin bag. Remove before bottling REposted by jaky" and for Plum Sauces have a look at:-

http://trademecooks.net.nz/viewtopic.php!f=25&t=440

Hope that recipe and the link help.:-))

amazing_grace, Feb 25, 5:56am
Hi, I made a lovely plum sauce, take a look at my blog.www.gardeningincromwell-
.blogspot.com.Cheers

budrose, Feb 25, 6:09am
Thankyou to you both.

Have heaps of plums and can only eat so much.

This is the first time I have attempted this, but going to give it a go.

What else can you do with plums ! Anyone have any ideas ! Please

245sam, Feb 25, 6:59am
budrose, do have freezer space! - plums freeze really well and are easy to prepare for the freezer as all they need is a wash and then let them drain before they are put into bag(s) or containers.

Re other things to make with plums, here are a few suggestions.
jam, cake and various desserts e.g. clafouti, compote.and this which is one of our favourite ways of having plums.

PLUM CRISP
500g plums
½ cup sugar
1 tbsp water

Halve the plums and if possible, remove the stones. Place the halved stoned plums, cut-side up, in a single layer in an ovenproof dish and sprinkle them with the sugar and water.
Bake at 180°C for 15 minutes. Meanwhile prepare the

Topping:
3-4 tbsp butter
2 tbsp each of sugar and golden syrup
1 cup each of cornflakes and rolled oats

Melt the butter, sugar and golden syrup together in a saucepan. Stir in the cornflakes and rolled oats. Sprinkle the topping mixture over the fruit.
Bake for 30 minutes longer, until the top is crisp and golden.
Serve warm with your choice of whipped cream, icecream, yoghurt.

For more plum recipes and ideas try doing a search here on this MB - use 'plums' as the keyword and 'anytime' as the Date posted - you'll easily find the earlier threads that will have those recipes and ideas.:-))

budrose, Feb 25, 10:39am
Oh thankyou so much that sounds nice and will try it. I have a little spare freezer space but not alot. but have elderly people around me that would appreciate it as prezzies. Great ideas.

indy95, Feb 25, 7:31pm
Budrose, if you use the search box on the left of your screen and type in plum recipes as the keyword, scroll down to anytime then hit search you should find a thread titled Recipes Using Plums which was started by cookessentials and features some great ideas for plums. There are several other threads which are worth checking too.