i need a stand in mum STAT!

o0_hamburger_0o, Feb 25, 2:01am
i wanna roast a chicken its 1. 3kg and i want it to be ready at about 7. 30 how can i achieve this? and what time do i put the potatos & carrots in? oooooh the joy of being young and not able to cook

245sam, Feb 25, 2:26am
o0_hamburger_0o, from

http://www.tegel.co.nz/index. php/pi_pageid/16

is some info' that you should find useful... . .

"Roasting:
•Whole birds (stuffed) require 55 minutes/kg + 20 minutes extra at 180oC.
If the oven is on fan-bake, whole birds require 40 minutes/kg + 20 minutes extra at 180oC. "

At 1. 3kg, does your chicken already have a stuffing or are you going to make a stuffing? If that weight is the weight that it will be when you cook it I think your chicken will take about 1½ hours to cook so to allow standing/resting time you would need to have it in cooking at or about 5. 45 p. m. Are you roasting the potatoes and carrots too? or would you like to do the carrots this way... . .

BAKED GRATED CARROTS
3 cups grated carrots
3 tbsp butter
1 tsp salt
freshly ground pepper – white or black

Place the carrots in a casserole dish and cover it tightly.
Bake at160°C (325°F)forabout 30 minutes – do NOT add any water. Remove from the oven and add the butter, salt and pepper. Toss together with a fork, then serve immediately. :-))

o0_hamburger_0o, Feb 25, 2:28am
mmmm nummy! i dont htink i have 3 cups of grated carrot though lol just cooking for me and my partner so will just roast them niether of us like stuffing is it fine to leave the bird empty?

thanks heaps sam

245sam, Feb 25, 2:47am
o0_hamburger_0o, it's absolutely ok to leave the chicken without stuffing and a lovely alternative that both flavours the chicken and keeps it moist is to do this... . .

You will need 1 or 2 whole lemons and some herbs - fresh is best e. g. parsley, thyme, rosemary - whichever is available or a combination of them if you wish.

After the chicken has been rinsed inside and out with cold running water, pat it dry (both inside and out) with paper towels, then halve a lemon and rub the cut surface of one ½ lemon over the chicken's skin. Season inside the chicken's cavity with salt and pepper (or if you have it use lemon pepper seasoning instead of the pepper). To the cavity add the 'used' half lemon + the 'unused' lemon half (or halves if using 2 lemons), and the sprigs of fresh herbs or a light sprinkling of dried herbs if fresh are not available. Tie the legs together (with cotton string or an ovenproof bag tie - i. e. not plastic) to help the chicken keep its shape + keep the lemon and herbs inside the cavity. I also tuck the wings under the chicken, then I prefer to usean oven bag to keep the chicken moist so if you have an oven bag, put the chicken into the bag, then into a baking dish and cook as in #2.
Re the carrots - 3 cups carrot would most likely be too much for 2 people so if you wanted to try the Baked Carrots just use whatever carrots you do have and proportionally lesser quantities of the other ingredients as well.
I hope you enjoy your meal. :-))

o0_hamburger_0o, Feb 25, 3:01am
you are a star! thanks so much :)

245sam, Sep 6, 6:12pm
you're very welcome and good on you for asking 'how to' and being keen to learn - eating is a necessity and cooking for oneself and one's loved ones can be such a pleasure so have fun learning and enjoy the freshly cooked homemade meals and goodies - the food will be far superior to takeaways and much cheaper too so you'll be saving money whilst you learn! :-))