Chutney help needed

cokibear, Feb 25, 1:50am
How do I soften the vinegar flavour in my apple and cucumber chutney. First time I have ever made it. Followed the recipe to a t but it has that sharp taste of maybe too much vinegar.

timetable, Feb 25, 1:57am
you could add a little more sugar, or more apple to see if that will tone it down a bit - just watch tho that the sugar is not too much as its the vinager that keeps it from going off and too much sugar may cause it to lose the 'cure' so to speak. the other thing is that sometimes the recipe 'softens' as it ages... all the best and good on you for making it in the first place! ! !

indy95, Feb 25, 3:27am
Cokibear I wouldn't be too concerned about the sharp vinegar taste of your chutney. All chutneys " mellow out " with keeping and you will probably find when you come to use it that the sharpness of the vinegar isn't nearly as noticeable. If it is you can always just add a little sugar or maybe mix it with some cooked apple to " water it down " a bit.

Good for you for your first attempt at chutney.

darlingmole, Feb 25, 4:35am
I heard that chutney/relish is best 2 months after making ... just see how it goes in a couple of months. There's always next summer to modify your recipe eh?

buzzy110, Feb 25, 8:41am
Yes. You should always wait for two months before breaking into your pickles, chutneys and relishes.

winnie231, Feb 27, 2:06am
I make alot of preserves & like to leave my sauces & chutneys atleast 4-6 months before using.
Just like a good wine - they improve with age!
Relishes & pickles can usually be used alot sooner, but I often still leave them for 1 month.