Feta Cheese?

Page 1 / 2
mme, Oct 9, 1:10am
I've had a couple of different brands bought lately that were made of cows milk & didn't taste at all like feta.

One I have now is meant be flavoured with lemongrass & ginger (also made with cows milk) A) it's doesn't taste like feta B) it has no lemongrass & / ginger flavour!)

Are they allowed to make cheese with cows milk & call them feta?

I was meant to be checking after the first disappointment, that they had listed goats milk but forgot!

pickles7, Oct 9, 1:16am
goats milk feta is much betta. lol. I only like goat feta myself. You can also buy, sheep milk feta.

mme, Oct 9, 1:20am
Yip I feel ripped off by those co.s that make 'feta' from cows milk. It doesn't taste like feta & it's not even white like feta!

craftylady1, Oct 9, 1:52am
Yuk...i dont like feta cheese in any way, shape or form!!

mme, Oct 9, 8:30am
Check you haven't just tried the cow's milk ones craftylady.

If salts an issue there is one company that has a new low salt one & it's a goats milk one!

uli, Oct 9, 8:55am
I guess when you see what you are allowed to call a pizza here - then it doesn't surprise me that cows milk feta is rampant as well LOL :)
Maybe it is so successful here because it is "milder" (=tasteless) than goats or sheep milk feta. Check the labels and don't buy it.

toadfish, Oct 9, 10:27am
uli wrote:
I guess when you see what you are allowed to call a pizza here - then it doesn't surprise me that cows milk feta is rampant as well LOL :)[quote]

I know I nearly fell of my chair the day I heard you discussing cauli crust Pizza's... Doesn't get much more "authentic" than that lol

toadfish, Oct 9, 10:32am
I made these tonight.... delicious

LAMB & FETA PARCELS

500g Lamb (they said fillets I am using lamb leg steaks cut into cubes) 3 Tablespoons of Olive oil ( will use less), 2 small onions, sliced, 2 slender eggplants cut diagonally into thin slices (not in this house lol) 1 Packet of filo, 1/4 cup extra olive oil (I will use a fine spray of olive oil), 100g Feta or Baloumi cheese (we have feta) 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary.
1/. Preheat oven to 180 deg, trim meat of excess fat & sinew. Heat 1 tablespoon (I will use less) of the olive oil in a frying pan, add onions and cook over medium heat for 4 mins or until soft stirring occasionally. Transfer onions to a plate, add 1 T olive oil to the pan and cook eggplant slices for 2 mins each side until just golden, drain on paper towel.
2/. Heat remaining oil and cook meat in batches over high heat for 1 min until browned. Set aside to cool then slice diagonally in 1 cm slices (I will start with cubes so will miss this step)
3/.Lay a sheet of filo pastry on work surface, short side towards you. Brush lightly with olive oil (I have a spray and will give it a light spray) cover with another sheet, brush or spray with oil, then top with one more sheet. Place lamb in a rectangle pile about 10cm in from the short side of the pastry and 8cm from each edge. Top with onions, eggplant, crumbled feta and rosemary. Fold short end of pastry over filling, fold the 2 long sides inwards and roll into a neat parcel. Brush with oil. Repeat with the remaining pastry and filling to make 6 parcels. Bake for 25 mins till golden.

elliehen, Oct 9, 10:35am
Perhaps a cauli crust pizza topped with cow's milk feta?

mme, Oct 17, 2:27am
Oh dear most of the brands are made of cows milk, even the Bouton one which is white. There are a couple that are goats milk but they are at least twice the price.

Has it always been like this, or did some brands switch to using cows milk to cut costs?

I know there are a few new brands getting into the so called cows milk Feta cheese market.

Well I won't be fooled again. I'm religiously checking the labels now. I didn't buy any Feta cheese & I've still got half a block of tasteless lemongrass & ginger to dispose of, on a pizza I guess!

It won't be the cauliflower crust one either. I don't like cauliflower at the best of times & I think fake pizza with fake feta would be too awful! : )

eastie3, Oct 17, 2:33am
Can anyone recommend a tasty crumbly feta cheese please ?
One that is reasonably widely available so I can get it at the supermarket rather than having to search for it.I don't care what it's made of as I won't be eating it.
Thanks.

davidt4, Oct 17, 2:52am
Zany Zeus Classic is excellent and available in bigger supermarkets.Lemnos is quite good.

eastie3, Oct 17, 3:21am
Cool,thanks.It's a local - Wellington - cheese too.

kay141, Oct 17, 3:51am
eastie3, Kingsmeade Cheese in Masterton make a great one. Not sure about availability in supermarkets but usually available at the Upper Hutt Farmers Market every second Sunday. Not this week. Also what about the Harbour Market by Te Papa on Sundays. I read somewhere that cheese is available.

mme, Oct 17, 5:25am
Gosh I've never seen Zany Zeus or Lemnos in the Stupidmarkets in Chch! I did notice they had a lot more of selection of various items when in Auckland earlier this year ( Foodtown - Mt Eden)

Stupidmarkets today bc I just got back from Countdown Ferrymead & none of the basic items I wanted to buy ( Spinach, 100 Watt bayonet lightbulb, & button mushrooms).

cookessentials, Oct 17, 9:48pm
Zany Zeus is wonderful and I prefer it. Traditionally made of either goat or sheeps milk. I am not a fan of goats milk products and I am happy with either sheeps milk or cows milk if it suits what I am using it for. I love the Zany Zeuss zorganic milk too.

mme, Oct 18, 7:55am
Zany Zues sounds great cookessentials.

Any ppl in Chch know if it's available here?

I think I've answered my own ? at #1 Are they allowed to make cheese with cows milk & call them feta?

Seems they are bc most are made of cows milk! But has it always been this way?

cookessentials, Oct 18, 8:16am
Moore Wilson Fresh stock the Kingsmeade cheeses.

suda, May 15, 3:17am
The best Feta

mme, Oct 10, 1:10am
I've had a couple of different brands bought lately that were made of cows milk & didn't taste at all like feta.

One I have now is meant be flavoured with lemongrass & ginger (also made with cows milk) A) it's doesn't taste like feta B) it has no lemongrass & / ginger flavour!)

Are they allowed to make cheese with cows milk & call them feta!

I was meant to be checking after the first disappointment, that they had listed goats milk but forgot!

mme, Oct 10, 1:20am
Yip I feel ripped off by those co.s that make 'feta' from cows milk. It doesn't taste like feta & it's not even white like feta!

craftylady1, Oct 10, 1:52am
Yuk.i dont like feta cheese in any way, shape or form!

mme, Oct 10, 8:30am
Check you haven't just tried the cow's milk ones craftylady.

If salts an issue there is one company that has a new low salt one & it's a goats milk one!

toadfish, Oct 10, 10:27am
I know. I nearly fell of my chair the day I heard you discussing cauli crust Pizza's. Doesn't get much more "authentic" than that lol

toadfish, Oct 10, 10:32am
I made these tonight. delicious

LAMB & FETA PARCELS

500g Lamb (they said fillets I am using lamb leg steaks cut into cubes) 3 Tablespoons of Olive oil ( will use less), 2 small onions, sliced, 2 slender eggplants cut diagonally into thin slices (not in this house lol) 1 Packet of filo, 1/4 cup extra olive oil (I will use a fine spray of olive oil), 100g Feta or Baloumi cheese (we have feta) 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary.
1/. Preheat oven to 180 deg, trim meat of excess fat & sinew. Heat 1 tablespoon (I will use less) of the olive oil in a frying pan, add onions and cook over medium heat for 4 mins or until soft stirring occasionally. Transfer onions to a plate, add 1 T olive oil to the pan and cook eggplant slices for 2 mins each side until just golden, drain on paper towel.
2/. Heat remaining oil and cook meat in batches over high heat for 1 min until browned. Set aside to cool then slice diagonally in 1 cm slices (I will start with cubes so will miss this step)
3/.Lay a sheet of filo pastry on work surface, short side towards you. Brush lightly with olive oil (I have a spray and will give it a light spray) cover with another sheet, brush or spray with oil, then top with one more sheet. Place lamb in a rectangle pile about 10cm in from the short side of the pastry and 8cm from each edge. Top with onions, eggplant, crumbled feta and rosemary. Fold short end of pastry over filling, fold the 2 long sides inwards and roll into a neat parcel. Brush with oil. Repeat with the remaining pastry and filling to make 6 parcels. Bake for 25 mins till golden.