"white pit" recipe - has anyone ever tried this ?

kuaka, Oct 8, 8:33am
I am currently reading a book called "Rifling through my Drawers" by Clarissa Dickson Wright (who is one of the "two fat ladies" who had a very successful cooking show in the UK a few years back).She has written this book in diary form, with a lot of "blurb" each month, and each month a recipe is included.One is for "white pit" which is a type of milk pudding.It sounds quite interesting.Just wondering if anyone has made it.

White Pit:

225g butter, 75g flour, 1.2 litres warm milk, 300ml black treacle, 4 eggs, 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon.

Preheat the oven to 180 deg C.Melt half the butter, stir in the flour and gradually add the milk.Stir continuously until the mixture has thickened and is smooth.Bring to the boil and simmer for a few minutes and remove from the heat.Stir in the treacle and add the eggs.Leave to cool.The mixture should now be cold and when baked it will separate into a jelly at the base and custard at the top.Pour the mixture into a 2.7 litre greased pie dish, dot with the remaining butter and sprinkle with cinnamon.Bake in the over for 1 hour.Allow to cool and serve cold.

The recipe says that it's very nice despite it's name!Especially nice if it's made with "proper milk" - even better if it's made with unpasteurised milk, but perfect with "Prosperous milk".(wonders what prosperous milk is????)

uli, Oct 8, 8:58pm
I think it is called cream nowadays :)

kuaka, Oct 8, 9:01pm
ah - that would make sense!

kuaka, Oct 11, 7:25pm
hmmm, well it turns out, now that I have actually read the whole chapter, and not just the recipe, that "prosperous milk" comes from guernsey cows which graze and are milked on Prosperous Farm!Apparently you can get unpasteurised milk there too. But prosperous milk, is just that, milk, but from Prosperous farm.So there you go!

evelyn_curtis, Apr 23, 6:52pm
I tried it this week-end. It tasted awful! Too much treacle giving it a bitter taste and most ended up in the bin. My advice to anyone wanting to try this recipe is don't! Its a complete waste of 2 pts of milk and 4 eggs as shown in Clarissa Dickson's book. I sometimes wonder how these cheffy cooks get their books published and sold at an exhorbitant price. Thank goodness I didn't buy this one but got it from my library.