Belgium Biscuits

evebee, Oct 8, 8:11am
Does anyone have a recipe using Cassia--type of spice--in the belgium biscuits? Somone told me that they were very nice. Thanks

noonesgirl, Oct 8, 8:15am
Off Google

BELGIAN BISCUITS

Ingredients
• 120g butter
• 90g brown sugar
• 1 egg
• 2 heaped tsp cassia spice
• 1 tsp baking powder
• 230g flour

Method
• Cream the butter and the sugar until light and creamy and pale in colour.
• Add the egg at room temperature and continue to beat until beaten completely through.
• Stir in the dry ingredients.wRoll the dough out reasonably thin on a floured board and cut into rounds. Place on a baking sheet and bake in a 180degC oven for 14-15 minutes. Once removed from the oven, place on a rack and allow to cool.
• Spread half the biscuits with raspberry jam and join together. Top with a simple hot water icing sugar with a touch of pink food colouring, then sprinkle with raspberry flavoured jelly crystals

kalevala, Oct 8, 8:16am
stuff.co.nz "Sixty Years in the Kitchen" gives a popular Belgian Biscuit recipe from a Southland bakery

noonesgirl, Oct 8, 8:26am
That's the one I posted.

elliehen, Oct 8, 8:57am
I've got an old one that I've actually baked - will hunt it out and post shortly :)

elliehen, Oct 8, 9:05am
MEG'S BELGIAN BISCUITS
Cream 225gms butter with 225gms brown sugar
Add and beat 1 egg and one large Tablespoon golden syrup
Add sifted:
3 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
15 gms cassia (1/2 ounce)
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon mixed spice
Roll into logs, chill and cut thin slices
Bake 160* 15 to 20 minutes
Put together with raspberry jam and ice with either vanilla icing sprinkled with pink jelly crystals, OR plain pink icing

nik12, Oct 9, 2:25am
x1
That's a good idea to chill in a roll and slice! I find it really hard to get them all nice and even when rolling out, and they stick and pull and I get grumpy :-).
I've made versions without cassia, but I've gone back to Nana's old one with it in, they are so much nicer.
1/2lb butter
1C sugar
1 egg
2C flour
1t Baking soda
1D cocoa
1t mixed spice
1t cassia (or cinnamon, but it's not quite the same)
1 small T golden syrup

Beat butter, sugar and spices
Add egg, beat well
Add syrup and dry ingred.
Bake 350 F 15-20 mins.Sorry can't find my edmonds book to translate that to celcius.

evebee, Oct 9, 3:13am
Thanks everyone.
nik12 ---- is that 1 teaspoon or 1 tablespoon golden syrup?

nik12, Oct 9, 9:14am
tablespoon :-)

whiskey13, Oct 9, 9:48am
Yes i was told that cassia is much nicer. But i haven't tryed it yet. MMMM belgium biscuits

*walks out of thread to start baking lol*

alebix, Oct 9, 10:15am
Excuse my ignorance, but I havent heard of cassoa before.
Is it a nice spice? Also, is it easy to buy?

whiskey13, Oct 9, 10:20am
Can be brought at supermarket where the rest are ( cinnamon etc )
And can be used to replace cinnamon and the like if your've run out

elliehen, Oct 9, 10:28am
Cassia comes in the same little cardboard boxes as all the others, but be careful not to overdo it.It is like a stronger version of cinnamon, less sweet and more bitter.In the MEG'S BELGIAN BISCUIT recipe, which I've made many times, cassia goes well alongside the other spices.

guest, Mar 5, 1:45pm
For anyone in the UK who stumbles across this recipe while googling, you can get cassia bark in Chinese and Indian grocery shops. I ground mine in a coffee grinder and it's fab, brings back wonderful memories of kiwi home baking!