Preserves Thread - Jams, Pickles, Relishes, etc

Page 1 / 45
juliewn, May 15, 11:25am
Bumpety bump. . :-) Tamarillo's, kiwifruit, etc ready to harvest - and citrus just starting too. . yum. .

juliewn, May 17, 2:22pm
Has anyone tried using tamarillo's to make jelly - the jam type of jelly? ? I'd think it would taste very good, without the pips to bite on. .

juliewn, May 18, 11:44am
Bumping for kiwikid1 . . :-)

juliewn, May 20, 10:14am
And again. . :-) . .

pancakesrus, May 21, 3:50am
my Million Dollar Pickles was aksed to add it here Million Dollar Pickles "Tasty pickles that take some time, but are easy to make. One crunch and you'll agree they are worth the wait! " INGREDIENTS 10 cucumber, sliced 460 g sliced onions 15 g pickling spice 950 ml water 4 g ground turmeric 2 g celery seed 1200 g white sugar 1890 ml distilled white vinegar DIRECTIONS Place the cucumber, onions, pickling spice and water in a large bowl. Allow the mixture to stand 6 to 8 hours, or overnight. Drain liquid from mixture. In a large saucepan, mix the cucumber mixture, turmeric, celery seed and white sugar. Pour in the vinegar, adjusting the amount so that it covers the mixture. Bring to a boil. Transfer to sterile jars. Store in the refrigerator.

pancakesrus, May 21, 3:54am
heres another to add Sweet 'N' Tangy Freezer Pickles

"Now you can have all the goodness of crunchy sweet-sour pickles without going to the trouble of canning them. A batch of these puckery slices can keep in the freezer for up to 6 weeks

INGREDIENTS
910 g pickling cucumbers, thinly sliced
330 g onions, thinly sliced
1 large green pepper, chopped
55 g salt, divided
400 g sugar
235 ml white vinegar
7 g celery seed

DIRECTIONS
In a large container, combine cucumbers, onions, green pepper and 2 tablespoons salt. Cover with crushed ice; mix well. Refrigerate for 8 hours. Drain; rinse and drain again. In a saucepan, combine the sugar, vinegar, celery seed and remaining salt. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute. Spoon over cucumber mixture. Pour into jars or freezer containers. Cool.
Top with lids. Cover and freeze for up to 6 weeks. Thaw at room temperature for 4 hours before serving.

pancakesrus, May 21, 3:55am
And my last one Homemade Refrigerator Pickles

"Just pickles! ! ! These are easy to make, and are a great way to use vegetables from the garden. "

Ingredients:
235 ml distilled white vinegar
20 g salt
400 g white sugar 715 g sliced cucumbers
115 g sliced onions
90 g sliced green bell peppers

Directions:
1. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, bring vinegar, salt and sugar to a boil. Boil until the sugar has dissolved, about 10 minutes.
2. Place the cucumbers, onions and green bell peppers in a large bowl. Pour the vinegar mixture over the vegetables. Transfer to sterile containers and store in the refrigerator.

pancakesrus, May 21, 9:04am
... . . just bumping

juliewn, May 21, 1:42pm
They sound delicious. . :-) thanks for adding them here - and I love your Trademe name. . yum!

pancakesrus, May 21, 7:01pm
Yea hubby come up with it. Gotta love hot homemade Pancakes when its this cold here.

pancakesrus, May 24, 10:14pm
... . . bump

nettie14, May 25, 9:46am
Tomato Jam A while back someone mentioned Tomato Jam recipe. Not sure if has been posted but here is one I make. Peter Gordons Tomato & Chilli Jam. 500grm very ripe tomatoes (I use a couple of cheap tins); 4 red chillis (I use a tsp out of a jar! ); 6cm piece ginger chopped (I use out of jar); 30mls asian fish sauce; 300grm demera sugar; 100mls red wine vinegar. Cook for about 40 mins or until thick and syrupy. Pour into sterilised warm jars. Makes about 4 jars. Nice on crackers with creamcheese or cheese. Enjoy

maggie62, May 30, 8:14am
Maggie62 Would anyone have a recipe for Honeyed Shallots please.

juliewn, May 31, 9:28am
That sounds good Nettie. . yum! Hi Maggie. . are the honeyed shallots like a pickled onion type of recipe? ? ? If so, you could use a teaspoon or so of honey per cup of vinegar - white or spiced or wine vinegar are nice with shallots - and pour them over peeled shallots placed in jars - cover the shallots completely in the vinegar/honey mix. Leave 2 weeks before using. If not like this, and if you've purchased a jar of them, are the ingredients listed on the jar label, so you could use the same ingredients. . let us know so we can help further. .

maggie62, May 31, 9:49pm
Honey Shallots Thank you Juliewn for that. The shallots were home made and were done by a gentleman that has passed away hence no recipe, these were beautiful to eat and your spiced vinegar/Wine Vinegar might be the answer.
I appreciate your answer and will try your suggestions, Thank you.

juliewn, Jun 1, 11:27am
You're most welcome Maggie. . :-) let us know how you get on. . cheers. . Julie

maggie62, Jun 2, 9:47pm
Up to the top Bump

jenna68, Jun 6, 8:53pm
Quick bump x

fruitluva2, Jun 11, 10:35am
*** again

juliewn, Jun 12, 9:46am
Hi Everyone. . :-) I just found this website - for pick-your-own orchards throughout New Zealand - there are also instructions about a variety of ways of preserving goodies. . http://www.pickyourown.org/newzealand.htm

juliewn, Jun 14, 4:02pm
Bumping. . :-)

juliewn, Jun 17, 3:02pm
... . . :-)

juliewn, Jun 20, 5:29pm
bumpety bump :-)

juliewn, Jun 24, 6:35pm
... . . . .

juliewn, Jun 27, 1:59pm
... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... . .