Preserves Thread - Jams, Pickles, Relishes, etc

Page 3 / 45
janny3, Aug 5, 6:34am
thanks juliewn I didn't see the citrus chutney, so that will be very handy for all the grapefruit wasting on my neighbours lawn. I have 2 boxes of over ripe tomatoes, so they will be getting cooked up when I get home tonight. THANKS!

juliewn, Aug 5, 11:45am
You're most welcome Janny. . I hope you like your relish. . cheers. . Julie

janny3, Aug 6, 2:41pm
Tomato relish excellent THANKS! All the solids went into the food processor as you said & unpeeled tomatoes. 2TB not as much salt as yours. Added TB ea curry pwdr, mustard pwdr, ground cumin, coriander & turmeric plus 1/2 tsp ground cloves & 1/4 tsp cayenne. You're right about malt vinegar making it more brown. Let it simmer down slowly til it was as thick as I wanted w/out flour, then into the pop-top jars while still warm enough to ensure a good seal. Tasted great on a cheese sandwich. New batch tomorrow w/ cider vinegar instead.

juliewn, Aug 7, 12:37pm
That's great Janny. . :-) I haven't thought of using other vinegars. . I bet it'll taste good. .

janny3, Aug 7, 2:12pm
Tastes great thanks I assumed the tomatoes are also cooked & not just the liquids. So left it all to simmer down to a thick enough consistency for bottling. Sealed jars when the relish was just warm & the pop tops went down nicely. Liquids & vinegar steamed out so fresh squeezed (sour) grapefruit juice from windfalls worked well until the tomatoes & onions had cooked enough. The relish is sweet w/ a pleasant piquancy from the vinegar/citrus juice but better tasting b/c of the extra salt quantity you advised (1/4 cup)THANKS! No chillies as you said. My mum's was an old Edmonds cook book recipe.

juliewn, Aug 11, 9:56am
Hi Janny. . her recipe is probably the same as mine is based on the Edmonds recipe too. . it sure makes a delicious relish. .

juliewn, Aug 13, 4:11pm
bumping for the weekend. .

janny3, Aug 16, 11:33am
Yep good ol' Edmonds works everytime. Bland maybe but I've tinkered w/ adding jalapenos & chili into it but not strayed too far from the basic recipe here. Excellent stuff. I accidentally over salted the last 3 jars but rather than make up another batch of unsalted to blend, the salty stuff is just right for stews. No need to add any vinegar, spices, onions, tomatoes or salt. Just cheap/tough ol stewing meat, veges, stock & a bit of flour into the slow cooker. The meat comes out tenderised & stew is tasty after a cpl of hours. Just to let the person who'd also oversalted their relish, it's all good.

juliewn, Aug 18, 12:51pm
Sounds delicious. . isn't it great to explore new ways and add this and that. . Kiwi number 8 wire cooking ingenuity! :-)

fly04buy, Aug 18, 6:15pm
Waah! ! ! My marmalade didn't set. Just used grapefruit as in Alison Gofton's basic marmalade recipe and woke up this morning to find all my jars of marmalade runny. Is there any way that I can rectify this situation?

juliewn, Aug 19, 2:08pm
Hi. . yes. . pour all the marmalade back into a preserving pan/pot and heat slowly, stirring often till the marmalade has reached a rolling boil. . continue cooking at that temperature until a tablespoon full sets after being poured on a cold plate - once it's cool, run your finger through the centre of the marmalade on the plate - if the sides stay apart, it's ready to bottle, if it runs back together, cook longer till setting stage has reached. Wash your jars and sterile them again to reuse them. Your marmalade will be fine. . enjoy. .

janny3, Aug 21, 9:01am
Bumping too good to miss

winnie231, Aug 24, 12:20am
and bumping . . ...

juliewn, Aug 28, 3:13pm
Hi Tracey. . :-). . hope all is well. .

janny3, Aug 29, 10:18pm
Bump Lots of windfall citrus around, makes good marmalades and pickles.

juliewn, Sep 1, 8:44am
It's seed sowing time for veges to plant out when the weather is warmer. . I'm planning to grow a lot of tomatoes, cucumber's, capsicums, etc. . etc. . for summer harvesting and pickling, preserving etc. . Will be nice to have the variety and number of veges to use. . the first year I've done this in quantity. . Is anyone else growing large amounts? Any suggestions welcomed. . thanks. .

janny3, Sep 1, 10:51am
How about pumpkins & marrows? Marrows excellent for pickle & my mum used to make fruit jams (etc) augmented w/ pumpkin as a base.

juliewn, Sep 5, 8:43am
Thanks for your suggestions Janny. . I'll grow lots of pumpkins and a couple of courgette plants - and let a couple grow larger near the end of the season. . I've been painting concrete blocks today ready to start assembling a 20m x 1m vege garden area, that's two concrete blocks high - it backs onto a timber fence, which I'm covering in netting - so will be able to grow tomatoes, cucumbers, climbing beans, etc. . up through the netting. . can't wait to have it completed, then start sowing and planting as the weather warms. . we've had two frosts in the past three days. . eek!

cottagerose, Sep 5, 9:23am
bumping there seems to be more bumping than recipes on this thread. lol

janny3, Sep 6, 10:09am
julie Tyres! They're classic for growing spuds, pumpkins, vege in tyres. Just put straw, old newspaper, lawn clippings, kitchen scraps in & a bit of top soil if you want. Excellent for spuds, just stack another tyre on the 1st one instead of mounding your spuds, pumpkins (etc) Tomatoes are excellent in tyres. Good if you have rubbish ground or need to move your tyre garden is easily tidied away.

juliewn, Sep 7, 3:06pm
Hi Janny. . thanks for your info. . I have a good amount of space here for gardens - and wondered about a mix of topsoil, home-made compost and mushroom compost to use for growing veges in raised beds. . do you have any recommendations using those together, and what ratio would be best? ? Or is there something better to use that will give me a good basis for ongoing gardens here in the years to come. . Thanks for your help. . :-)

juliewn, Sep 10, 12:40pm
Bumping for Janny. . :-)

janny3, Sep 11, 9:26am
julie I grew the spuds in tyres b/c everyone's doing it nowadays. You don't need ANY soil what-so-ever, just straw, lawn clippings, shredded newspapers etc. I dump in my kitchen scraps all year round and presto up come new spuds, delicious cherry tomatoes & pumpkins. For ratio, to be honest I've been sharing garden tips over at http://www.whenuaforthepeople.org.nz/In turn I send them here when they ask about for the recipes for my pix of preserves. ENJOY!

clairen, Sep 14, 3:26am
Just came online to see if i could find a thread like this and noticed the date on the first post. Congratulations your thread is 1 year old today! yay

juliewn, Sep 14, 4:50am
x1
Summer's almost here - and there'll be wonderful fresh fruits and vegetables available - and opportunities to make our own goodies. chutney's, jams, jellies, relishes, pickles, sauces, bottled fruit's and veges, etc. Would you like to share your favourite recipe?