Can you/wld you put fresh basil

hhb, Feb 25, 12:36am
in beef casserole? and if so, how many leaves in 1kg beef vege cass? or is it too strong a taste, dominating over everything else? I have so much in my garden, it's beautiful.

maynard9, Feb 25, 12:46am
It is your dish so why not. You can do whatever you like, however if you are asking opinions I think I would garnish it for serving rather than actually cook it in. Would be lovely if the casserole had a tomato base. I just don't really like the dark yuky colour it goes when you cook it - preferring to either garnish or add at the very very last like I do with pasta dishes. It can go a bit bitter when cooked. If you have heaps why don't you freeze it in ice block tray and use during winter.

hhb, Feb 25, 12:57am
Great suggestion - thanks, thought it may become bitter in this dish. Will do ice block tray, great idea. Thanks

uli, Feb 25, 12:57am
Depends on the variety of basil. The green big leaved ones are for eating raw and for pesto. The purple "holy" basil is the one the Thai people cook with, very different taste.

245sam, Feb 25, 12:59am
hhb, personally I would use the basil for things other than beef casserole (e. g. in pesto, with pasta or in a panini - see below) however if you feel that you would like to add it to YOUR casserole then I agree with maynard9, especially if the casserole has a tomato base BUT I would add the basil at or towards the end of the cooking time - if it's added earlier you'd need to add lots of basil to retain the flavour and your casserole would most likely then have blackened 'bits' in it from the overcooked basil, whereas adding the basil later could/would add a fresh green colour and basil flavour.

Re the panini - one of the nicest paninis I've ever tasted was one that we enjoyed for lunch at Day's Bay, Wellington - it was simply... . . sliced and seasoned (with salt and pepper) tomato, sliced fresh mozzarella cheese and whole basil leaves. The panini was, of course, served grilled and it was a delicious part of a hot summer's day lunch - an excellent way to enjoy the summer produce (tomatoes and basil) and one I definitely recommend. :-))

daleaway, Feb 25, 1:38am
If you're a basil lover, we hereby given you permission to put as much of it as you like in anything you like. Don't mention it!

We like it in Cornish pasties, for example. Get inventive.

red2, Feb 25, 9:13pm
Mix it with parsley and sprinkle it over the casserole just before serving - the smell and taste will remain rather than losing it thru the cooking process

doug57, Sep 7, 8:13pm
or look here [thanks fisher! ]
http://www.e-ware.co.nz/barbequebut.htm