Rhubarb and apple

seniorbones, Oct 4, 3:50am
What do you add when you cook together - if anything...apart from sugar. Cant believe how huge my rhubarb stalks are already! must be the chook tea hubby poured over it as it was beginning to appear. Also a nice crumble recipe too would be nice.

margyr, Oct 4, 4:03am
nothing other than the sugar, and watch that it does not burn, yummy you lucky thing! just do a search on the left for a recipe, in the keyword or member type crumble, in the date posted click on the little arrow and then anytime, then click search. There was a yummy sounding one the other week using gingernut biscuits.

charlieb2, Oct 4, 4:03am
Try this, the whole family love it....

Caramel Crusted Rhubarb and Apple Pudding ¾ cup flour 1 teaspoon baking powder ½ cup rolled oats ¼ cup white sugar 100g melted butter Stewed rhubarb and apple ¾ cup brown sugar 1 tablespoon custard powder or cornflour ¼ cup boiling water Preheat oven to 180c. Sift flour and baking powder into a bowl. Add rolled oats and white sugar. Mix in melted butter to make a crumble mixture. Sprinkle over rhubarb and apple. In the discarded bowl, combine brown sugar and custard powder. Spoon over crumble mix. Carefully pour over the boiling water. Do not stir. Oven bake for 30 minutes.

seniorbones, Oct 4, 4:12am
ok just added sugar, oooo thats spooky because I did search earlier and the above recipe is what I have done!..in the oven and looking yummy. Nearly added cloves to the a & r but decided not to.

cookessentials, Oct 4, 4:13am
If you like rhubarb, you will love this.

BAKED RHUBARB AND ORANGE SPONGE
1 bunch rhubarb,trimmed and chopped. 1/4 cup firmly packed brownn sugar; 2 tsp grated orange rind; 3 tbsp warmed honey; 60g butter; 1/4 cup caster sugar; 1 egg, lightly beaten; 3/4 cup self raising flour; 1/3 cup milk.
Place rhubarb in buttered ovenproof dish,sprinkle with the brown sugar and half the orange rind and pour over warmed honey. Cream butter with remaining orange rind and caster sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg, then fold in sifted flour alternatively with the milk. Bake in a pre-heated modeerately hot oven (190C) for about 40 minutes or until golden. Serve hot with custard or cream. I serve it with a good vanilla bean ice-cream.

seniorbones, Oct 4, 4:15am
Thanks Pam...I have an abundance of it and so early too, I will try this one next as hubbie's favourites are crumble or sponge puds..all these desert recipes are no good for my waistline!! I also have a cake recipe that has a crumble on top and often use that as a desert too

charlieb2, Oct 4, 4:50am
Its fantastic... nearly made it myself tonight!!!

seniorbones, Oct 4, 8:02am
mmm..not sure if I did it right but did follow the recipe, it came out sort of crunchy toffee like topping? was that how it was meant to be, it was yummy, I just thought it was going to be like a self saucing seeing as it had the boiling water over the custard mix

charlieb2, May 6, 5:00pm
Hmmm... not TOO crunchy here usually, lol.. yeah its sort of a spongy oaty caramelly type topping... lol.....