Pad Thai Goong - tamarind water as an ingredient

sumstyle, Oct 3, 5:03am
I'm wanting to have another go at making pad thai goong, and did pretty well last time, but I hadn't any tamarind.So I picked some up at the supermarket this afternoon, only to check the recipe again and see that it wants 3 Tablespoons of tamarind *water*.

Any ideas on how I can work out a correct conversion from paste to water please?

marcs, Oct 3, 5:14am
Mix it into a watery paste then measure it. that is add some water to it so that that it is not too strong. 1 tbs of paste to 3 tbs of water should be enough.

sumstyle, Oct 3, 5:17am
Good stuff - thanks for your time marcs!

davidt4, Oct 3, 5:18am
If you are making it from a block of tamarind pulp including seeds, just cut off a lump the size of the final quantity of tamarind water or puree (e.g. 3 tab pulp will give you roughly 3 tab of water).Put it in a small bowl and pour boiling water over just to cover.Leave it for 20 minutes, loosen with a wooden spoon, push through a sieve.This will give you more than enough.

sumstyle, Oct 3, 5:21am
mmm, no block - there was only one type of tamarind at the supermarket - paste in a jar.I realise now I could have gone to an Asian food warehouse, but it didn't cross my mind.

I'm so looking forward to this experiment tonight!Thanks to you both :-)

davidt4, Oct 3, 8:01pm
The pre-made paste in a jar doesn't have much flavour - next time try the pulp from a block.The blocks look like a block of pressed dates and they are not expensive.

beaker59, Oct 4, 1:01am
Agreed a block is about 3 or 4 dollars at an asian supermarket and lasts for a long time in the fridge. I use it all the time its great in soups like bacon hock or chicken soup.

marcs, Oct 4, 1:35am
It actually tenderises meats as well. When you eat satay meat on a stick and it is melt in your mouth, that is how they do it.

beaker59, Oct 4, 2:31am
OK I am definately going to try that Thanks.

sumstyle, Oct 4, 4:44am
Mmm, me too!

I got my Malay Malay and Chinese Malay friends at work to taste my efforts from last night and they were very impressed.Great to have this help from the Message Board :-)

herika, Oct 4, 7:13pm
I keep mine (fresh pulp) in the freezer.I cut it into roughly the size of about 1 tablespoon pieces and wrap in gladwrap and put into a snaplock bag.When I want to use it I put it into a microwave proof cup, cover with water and zap for about 30secs and its perfect to use :)

sumstyle, Oct 5, 5:07am
Cool idea, pardon the pun.Trying to remember to go the Indian or Asian warehouse in the next coupla days.

papariccardo, Mar 26, 12:43am
Bumping for the room, I'm planning on making Pad Thai Goong Gai next week with Mr 12 using davidt4s recipe from another thread. Thanks for the tips on tamarind paste blocks, I always have some, and never really use it right. Reading this has my mouth watering, thanks marcs for the tip of tenderising satay sticks with tamarind! I found a great Asian food mart in North Ridge shops (Albany), much closer for me than Tai Ping where I normally go. Whangaparaoa locals, check out the wee fruit & vege store opposite the pet shop at the plaza, they have a good stock of Asian essentials at good prices. The owner hopes to open an Asian grocer on the coast when he finds the right lease - I'm hoping he does soon!

sumstyle, Mar 26, 1:21am
Mmm well since I initially started this thread, my Malaysian friends at work did a ethnic food lunch for us and one of them used fried tofu in a yummy dish she made.She is Malay Malay, the other lady is Chinese Malay and it was very interesting to test the subtle differences in their cooking.(Malay Malay won for me on the day!)

papariccardo, Mar 26, 1:30am
Terima kasih, sumstyle!

madibug, Apr 22, 3:24am
http://www.templeofthai.com/recipes/pad_thai.php we are making ths tomorrow night for dinner, heres hoping its good!!

madibug, Apr 23, 3:24am
http://www.templeofthai.com/recipes/pad_thai.php we are making ths tomorrow night for dinner, heres hoping its good!

sumstyle, Oct 4, 5:03am
I'm wanting to have another go at making pad thai goong, and did pretty well last time, but I hadn't any tamarind.So I picked some up at the supermarket this afternoon, only to check the recipe again and see that it wants 3 Tablespoons of tamarind *water*.

Any ideas on how I can work out a correct conversion from paste to water please!

sumstyle, Oct 4, 5:21am
mmm, no block - there was only one type of tamarind at the supermarket - paste in a jar.I realise now I could have gone to an Asian food warehouse, but it didn't cross my mind.

I'm so looking forward to this experiment tonight!Thanks to you both :-)

davidt4, Oct 4, 8:01pm
The pre-made paste in a jar doesn't have much flavour - next time try the pulp from a block.The blocks look like a block of pressed dates and they are not expensive.