Risoni salad recipes please

bogeyi, Oct 2, 1:36am
anyone got some ideas also what sort of dressing is good

dbab, Oct 2, 4:15am
To cooked rissoni add some basil pesto, chopped spring onion and some parmesan cheese, all to taste. If it's a bit dry add a little olive oil. I've also made this using capsicum pesto.
It's very tasty and keeps for a few days in the fridge.

alfredtonroad, Oct 2, 5:38am
saute onion & garlic, mix risoni with this, baby tomatoes, green beans, feta. dress with olive oil & lemon juice & parmesan.

cookessentials, Oct 2, 9:03am
This is our favourite. If there is no dill about, I just leave it out and I often do it without the peas too.

HOT SMOKED SALMON AND ORZO SALAD

1 cup orzo, cooked according to packet instructions
1 teaspoon flaky sea salt
½ cup fresh or frozen peas, cooked
1 tablespoon fresh chopped dill
Grated rind 1 lemon
¼ cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
2-3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 cups baby spinach leaves
200g hot-smoked salmon, broken into chunks

Place the orzo in a bowl and add the salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Fold through the peas, dill, lemon rind and parsley. Drizzle in the olive oil and lemon juice and gently toss everything together. Add the spinach and salmon and fold them through. Serve in bowls. You can also make it go further by adding wedges of hard boiled egg if you wish.

You only need to cook the orzo for a few minutes I add a little olive oil to the water,along with a pinch of salt. I taste with the teaspoon as it is cooking to get the right texture. You want it firmish,but that your teeth will go through it as opposed to mushy.

I drain and rinse under hot water - just to keep it hot,although you eat this warm or cold

smileeah, Oct 2, 10:57am
Someone I know made an orzo salad one day and I asked about his dressing. He fried choritzo sausage and prawns in olive oil and then used the oil left in the pan, lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste as the dressing. Was lovely. Oh there was also kalamata olives, feta cheese and ummm something else I think which I can't quite remember right now sorry. Spring onions maybe...

smileeah, Oct 2, 10:58am
Fresh basil also.

macandrosie, Oct 2, 9:26pm
This is a nice recipe:
Orzo, Sundried Tomato & Hazelnut Salad:
dressing:
2 tsp minced garlic
1/4 cup toasted hazelnuts
1/4 cup tightly packed italian parsley (basil is alos nice or 1/2 of each
2 tabs white vinegar
1/4 cup oil
1 tab brown sugar
Place all these ingreds into a blender & process to a paste.
8-10sundried tomatoes, chopped
1/4 cup balck olives, halved
1 cup orzo pasta-cooked
70 gr feta, crumbled
1/4 cup toasted hazelnuts whole
sea salt & freshly ground pepper
Rinse off orzo & allow to cool. Place orzo, tomatoes, olives, hazelnuts & feta intoa bowl. Add dressing & fold through lightly to combine. Just before serving sprinkle with more chopped hazelnuts & seasonings.

ruby19, Oct 2, 9:57pm
OH.... macandrosie that sounds delish!!!Must pull out my orzo.

This is another one well used in our householdSpinach, feta & orzo salad.
448 g uncooked orzo pasta,
280 g baby spinach leaves, finely chopped,
225 g crumbled feta cheese,
1/2 red onion, finely chopped, 100 g pine nuts,
1/2 tsp dried basil ( or fresh to taste),
1/4 tsp ground pepper,
120 ml olive oil,
120 ml balsamic vinegar.
Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add orzo and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain and rinse with cold water. Transfer to a large bowl and stir in spinach, feta, onion, pine nuts, basil and white pepper. Toss with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Refrigerate and serve cold.

dbab, Oct 2, 4:15am
To cooked rissoni add some basil pesto, chopped spring onion and some parmesan cheese, all to taste. If it's a bit dry add a little olive oil. I've also made this using capsicum pesto.
It's very tasty and keeps for a few days in the fridge.

smileeah, Oct 2, 10:57am
Someone I know made an orzo salad one day and I asked about his dressing. He fried choritzo sausage and prawns in olive oil and then used the oil left in the pan, lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste as the dressing. Was lovely. Oh there was also kalamata olives, feta cheese and ummm something else I think which I can't quite remember right now sorry. Spring onions maybe.

ruby19, Oct 2, 9:57pm
OH. macandrosie that sounds delish!Must pull out my orzo.

This is another one well used in our householdSpinach, feta & orzo salad.
448 g uncooked orzo pasta,
280 g baby spinach leaves, finely chopped,
225 g crumbled feta cheese,
1/2 red onion, finely chopped, 100 g pine nuts,
1/2 tsp dried basil ( or fresh to taste),
1/4 tsp ground pepper,
120 ml olive oil,
120 ml balsamic vinegar.
Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add orzo and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain and rinse with cold water. Transfer to a large bowl and stir in spinach, feta, onion, pine nuts, basil and white pepper. Toss with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Refrigerate and serve cold.

bev00, Oct 3, 10:05am
nice ideas. gonna try

rosewildvinyl, Oct 3, 9:49pm
I tried cookessentials recipe & loved it - will try the others too as they sound delicious.
Thank you, people.

pkv, Oct 4, 12:14am
Yum! I have some Orzo in the pantry. Was wanting new recipes too.

bev00, Oct 11, 8:54am
bumping for request

bev00, Oct 20, 8:38am
HERE'S ANOTHER ONE -
1½ cups risoni pasta
1 tomato, chopped
1 small Lebanese cucumber, chopped
1 small carrot, grated
½ cup finely sliced ham
1 tablespoon orange juice
2 tablespoons sweet chili sauce

Method:

Bring medium saucepan of water to the boil.
Add the risoni and cook until al dente.
Drain and let cool.
Lightly stir through other ingredients

aof, Oct 22, 5:38am
Cook risoni 8-10 mins, add cut up cooked beetroot, chopped sun dried tomato, chopped parsley. Make a dressing of red wine vinegar and extra virgin olive oil. Pour over risoni. This is delicious.

suzannelg, Oct 23, 2:51am
Here is my favourite.

1C Orzo/Risoni cooked,
3 Zucchini
1 Red capsicum
1 Yellow capsicum
1 Red Onion
1 Kumara (I don't add this)
1-2 cloves of garlic (or 1-2t garlic stock)
1T Balsamic vinegar
1T Olive oil
1/4C pesto (I usually use 1/2 tub of basil chunky dip)
1t lemon juice
150g Feta, crumbled
1/4C freshly chopped herbs (I usually use flat leaf parsley, rosemary, and basil)
Salt and Pepper to taste.

1. Prepare vegetables for roasting, add oil, vinegar,garlic/stock powder to baking dish and stir to coat vegetables.Cook for 20 minutes or until cooked to ones liking.
2. in a large bowl, mix orzo/risoni, pesto/dip, feta, vegetables, and herbs. Mix until combined.
3. Add lemon juice + salt and pepper to taste.
Can be served warm or cold.

bev00, Dec 18, 11:51am
cut and paste
Quotesamboy (295 )10:03 pm, Thu 16 Dec #11
this one of Giada's is nice !
4 cups chicken broth
1 1/2 cups orzo
1 can chick peas, drained and rinsed
1 1/2 cups red and yellow teardrop tomatoes or grape tomatoes, halved
3/4 cup finely chopped red onion
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
1/4 cup chopped fresh mint leaves
About 3/4 cup Red Wine Vinaigrette, recipe follows
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Pour the broth into a heavy large saucepan. Cover the pan and bring the broth to a boil over high heat. Stir in the orzo. Cover partially and cook until the orzo is tender but still firm to the bite, stirring frequently, about 7 minutes. Drain the orzo through a strainer. Transfer the orzo to a large wide bowl and toss until the orzo cools slightly. Set aside to cool completely.

Toss the orzo with the beans, tomatoes, onion, basil, mint, and enough vinaigrette to coat. Season the salad, to taste, with salt and pepper, and serve at room temperature.

Red Wine Vinaigrette

1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons honey
2 teaspoons salt
3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 cup extra-virgin olive oil

Mix the vinegar, lemon juice, honey, salt, and pepper in a blender. With the machine running, gradually blend in the oil. Season the vinaigrette, to taste, with more salt and pepper, if desired.

Yield: 1 3/4 cups

bev00, Dec 18, 12:00pm
Courtesy of Jed:

We are having this salad for Xmas day.

Orzo and Roasted Prawn Salad

Oven roast prawns coated in olive oil for 6 minutes. Let cool.

Cook Orzo and drain.

Mix vinegarette
½ cup lemon juice
½ cup oil
2 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
and pour over orzo pasta. It will absorb all the vinegarette.

Chop spring onions, red onions, cucumber, fresh flat leaf parsley and add to orzo. Add cooled roasted prawns and toss together.

Add some feta cheese and gently toss to mix.

Serve.

This recipe has been tried and tested and is YUM. Oven roasting the prawns gives them a very rich flavour. Happy tasting.

bev00, Dec 18, 12:02pm
2cups orzo
1 cup shelled pistachio nuts (I use a 70gm pkt from baking aisle)
1 cup chopped parsley
2 tbsp olive oil
grated rind and juice of two lemons
salt and freshly ground pepper

Add orzo to a large saucepan of salted boiling water. Boil til pasta is tender. (7-8 minutes) Drain and rinse the pasta in cold water to wash off the salty water. Leave to cool.

When pasta is cold, place in a bowl with the pistachios, parsley, olive oil, and lemon rind and juice. toss well and season.
Jo Seagar