Old Fashioned Seed Cake Recipe Wanted please

bluecalico, Oct 1, 11:19pm
Am looking for an old fashioned seed (carraway) cake recipe....it must be one that you have tried so I know that it tastes ok.A recipe I have from Mrs Beeton's cookbook uses 1lb of butter.......so I need to make sure tasty before I use that much butter.I have looked on the internet by the way. Thanks Julie

noonesgirl, Oct 2, 1:52am
Seed Cake (Edmonds)

125gr butter
125gr butter
2 eggs
175gr flour
1tsp b/powder
1TBSP Caraway Seeds
1tsp Whisky or Brandy (opt)
Beat butter & sugar together, add well-beaten eggs alternatively with flour, b/powder &Caraway Seeds previously mixed.
Bake 3/4hr @ 180.

harrislucinda, Oct 2, 2:43am
mineis8ozofeachbuttersugarflour4eggs1tspbakingpowderrindandjuiceof1lemon1tlspcarawayseedscreambutterandsugaradd1egg atatimeaddflourandbpthenseedsandjuiceandrindbake1hrat400deg

pam.delilah, Oct 2, 5:11am
Seed cake
You'll need
125 g butter
1/2 cup caster sugar
3 eggs, lightly beaten
11/4 cups self-raising flour, sifted
3 tsps caraway seeds
2 tblsps milk
Icing sugar, to dust

Here's how

1 Preheat the oven to 180C. Grease a deep 20cm round cake tin and line the base with baking paper.
2 Place the butter and sugar in a bowl and beat with electric beaters until light and creamy. Add the egg gradually, beating thoroughly after each addition. Using a metal spoon, gently fold in the flour and caraway seeds alternately with the milk.
3 Spoon into the prepared tin and smooth the surface. Bake for 40 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted in the centre of the cake. Leave in the tin for 20 minutes before turning onto a wire rack to cool. Dust with icing sugar.

Tip: This cake will store well for up to one week in an airtight container, or up to three months in the freezer.

Seed cake is a traditional english cake made to celebrate the end of spring sowing of the crop.

sumstyle, Oct 2, 7:07am
this is the recipe I use too - I have even adapted it to make three muffins of seed cake as I live by myself - not that I CAN'T devour a whole seed cake on my own, I just would prefer for my dignity's sake not to do so...

bluecalico, May 2, 9:50am
Thank you all.