Cake help?

obsidianwings, Sep 26, 11:58pm
I want to make a birthday cake for my daughter, in the book I have each recipe it just says make one medium cake or one small cake etc, then the cake recipes are in the back, how do I know how to adjust the recipes to make different size cakes? Is there a rule on how far to fill up the tins and then just dump the rest of the cake batter or something?
Also, the particular recipe I am looking at, it says to make 2 round cakes in mixing bowls, do I use an aluminium mixing bowl or a pyrex one or does it not make a difference?
The book I am looking at is Kiwiana Party Cakes by Rob Burns if anyone wants to look at it to see what I am talking about.

Thanks in advance for any help :)

tielfan, Sep 27, 12:28am
I always fill tins about 2/3 up.Never dump the remaining batter - stick it in cupcake cases and make mini cakes (just bake for about 12 mins and then test). I don't have the book but the basic recipe you have at the back of the book should say what sized cake pan it fits, just use a bit of basic maths and adjust up or down depending on your cake tins.Always remember you can use leftover cake batter for mini-cakes and that there need not be any waste.I don't know about cooking batter in pryex vs aluminium cake mixing bowls, haven't done that.

cap, Sep 27, 12:36am
What sort of cake are you making?I have made several "Barbie" cakes for my girls and you bake the cake in something shaped like a bowl to get the right shape.I have done it in a class pyrex bowl and also in an old fashioned steamer and the steamer was a lot more successful.I think the thickness of the glass did not help with the baking.

obsidianwings, Sep 27, 1:37am
Thanks, I will go for 2/3 full, suppose I should've thought to make cupcakes with the rest!
Its a kiwifruit cake so needs to be more flat round (you make two round cakes, put the 2 flat sides together to make it a kiwifruitish shape) rather than a taller round that I picture a barbie cake to be, so a dolly varden tin wouldn't work, a steamer might though. Thanks, I will avoid pyrex bowls then, I already have an aluminum mixing bowl, so might give it a test run with that.

obsidianwings, Sep 28, 10:08pm
One more question, do I need to find a bowl the same size as the cake I plan to make, or is it ok to have the sides much higher than the cake.

buzzy110, Sep 28, 10:18pm
Logic should answer that question but seeing as you are probably stressed, and therefore not thinking logically, I'll help you out. The sides can be as high as you like. Your cake will only be as high as the amount of mixture you put into it will rise to. If it is too high you are fully entitled to cut it down to size. It is not an exam where perfection is required.

I was at a cake decorating demonstration and the expert pulled out his mud cake and deftly sliced off the top so that he would have the correct sized cake. If it is good enough for the experts it is good enough for you.

obsidianwings, Sep 30, 12:44am
I know the cake will only rise as high as the amount of mixture I put in will allow, I just wasn't sure if having much higher sides on the bowl I would be baking it in compared to the cake batter would stop the cake baking nicely, as in maybe the high sides of the bowl would stop the top cooking evenly or anything.
I am not an experienced home baker so thought it was worth asking before I stuffed it up...

obsidianwings, Sep 30, 12:50am
Also I am aware I can cut the cake down to size, however if it is ok to use a bigger bowl than the cake I want to bake, I already have a bowl I am going to test run with, just pouring in batter to 2/3 of the height I want the end result cake to be.
However it is much much bigger, so if it is not ok to have higher sides than the cake I will be buying a smaller bowl to cook it in, as to fill the tin with cake, then trim it down to size, It would be ALOT of excess cake to trim off and get rid of.
Thanks though.

pickles7, Sep 30, 12:56am
well done .... buzzy110....
So what if you stuff up any way....obsidianwings.... It is a good idea to make a dummy cake, if you are worried. You will get it right, this time or next. enjoy

obsidianwings, Apr 26, 10:04pm
Thanks pickles, I think I will give it a go on the weekend.