Probably a completely futile question ....but....

clgodkin, Feb 24, 4:24am
in a recipe that does not require baking, is there something that I can substitute for a packet of crushed wine biscuits ie. crushing up ricies or cornflakes or weetbix. I want to make a particular slice this evening (cos I feel like it) but don't have the biscuits. Live rurally so not a matter of just popping down the road.

rkcroft, Feb 24, 4:25am
crushing up weetbix should be a good replacement.

clgodkin, Feb 24, 4:27am
I did wonder. I use weetbix instead of cornflakes in my ever so famous (self proclaimed but supported by tasters) afghan biscuits as I think they are much better.

doug57, Feb 24, 4:27am
I doubt that weetbix etc would give you the taste you're after as biccies are sweet!
What about a quick microwave slice recipe? Is chocolate required and I have a super easy brownie recipe that takes longer to wash the mixing bowl that it does for it to cook!

clgodkin, Feb 24, 4:29am
No it's not a chocolate based recipe which is what I usually do. This is an Apricot Fudge Slice which I haven't made before.

rkcroft, Feb 24, 4:29am
Just add some sugar then. Do as I do... . taste as you go.

doug57, Feb 24, 4:30am
ah well. . go experiment. . it might become your new favourite. . if it works. . let us know. . my kids would want to trial it too :)

clgodkin, Feb 24, 4:31am
I think it will be pretty sweet anyway as it has condensed milk and brown sugar. I guess it's more the consistency that I am worried about

doug57, Feb 24, 4:32am
Add some chopped nuts and coconut. . it'll probably be fine.

clgodkin, Feb 24, 4:41am
Cheers. Will try it tonight and let you know. I know the original recipe is just divine so am kicking myself that I don't have the biscuits when I have a whim. Family is getting sick of the Chocolate Oatmeal no bake slice that I make all the time which is really yummy and so easy, but definitely on overkill.

doug57, Feb 24, 4:42am
Well. . that's invited a request for a recipe now hasn't it? ! !
Choc Oatmeal no-bake slice recipe please!

clgodkin, Feb 24, 5:08am
The official recipe... .

1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup milk
2 cups sugar
3 cups quick-cooking oats
5 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
1/2 cup coconut

In a large saucepan, combine butter, milk and sugar; bring to a rolling boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Continue boiling for 1 minute. Remove from heat; stir in oats, cocoa, and coconut. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto waxed paper.
Makes about 36 yummy no-bake cookies.

I don't do it as biscuits but line a slice tin with baking or wax paper and just pour the mixture in and sprinkle some extra coconut on top and then pop it into the fridge for a while. I cut it into slices once it is hard enough. It tastes like a yummy fudge coconut rough. I originally just used to use the supermarket brand oats that were the standard size which makes it a little chewier, but discovered that you can get some that are slightly smaller in supermarket brand which I now use. My daughter (10) can make it really easy on her own and the mixture goes a long way. Cut into pretty small slices.

doug57, Sep 4, 6:54pm
Hey thanks for that. . My daughters will give this one a go! . . Heaps of sugar! ! . . have you tried halving the amount at all?