Coconut Ice Cream. Yum home made too.

Page 1 / 2
shadowzz, Sep 26, 5:37am
Just buycoconuts that weighs more than 900 grams, drink the liquid if it tastes good to you, then put in plastic bag and smash on concrete, use a thin knife to separate the flesh from the wood. Put strips through a juicer, and you have half a cup of sweet cream and a bowl of fibre from each coconut. Put the cream with pineapple juice and a passion fruit into a blender then in the freezer. Keep your eye on it, take it out of the freezer when the texture is right and put in the fridge.The cream is powerful medicine, don't eat too much. You are having success if you have oily skin that water runs off like water off a ducks back and doesn't sun burn.

uli, Sep 26, 5:43am
Sounds terrible - "coconut cream with pineapple juice and a passion fruit into a blender then in the freezer."

shadowzz, Sep 26, 5:57am
What's up . Not enough, stabiliser, preservative, colouring, flavouring, sugar, gum, yak fat etc for you?

bedazzledjewels, Sep 26, 6:10am
Ha ha!

davidt4, Sep 26, 6:33am
Ha Ha indeed.Brilliant.Even more amusing than ferita.

uli, Sep 26, 8:04am
How often have you made it? - Ice cream is made from cream, eggs and sugar and some flavouring like Vanilla. So use the coconut cream instead of the cows cream if you like, but if you leave the rest out it will taste terrible and the structure will be ghastly!

elliehen, Sep 26, 8:13am
At least it's in the Wunderkind coconut family, like Carla's Coconut Creation - which, incidentally, looks more like a placenta than a pie ;)

alebix, Sep 26, 10:13am
um, how much of each? Pineapple etc.....

shadowzz, Sep 26, 11:33am
Hey I'm not into substitution I just prefer the flavour of sweet coconut cream and no hangover to sugared cows cream. My guess, you have never talked to anyone born befor 1930. I was looking after some "rich kids" in LA, one of them asked me to bring them orange juice. Silly me, I squeezed some oranges and when I gave it to them they spat it out because they expected it to be dye, CO2, sugar, etc. Now 30 years later, they are still friends and drink fresh squeezed orange juice. But you will never know unless you try it.

shadowzz, Sep 26, 11:44am
It's not a formula, you don't need to make it taste like cows ice cream, just about any mixture tastes good to me. One of my variations is too freeze the juice first then shave with a sharp knife so you get large ice juice crystals and stir into the coconut cream. I first had this in Bali.

vintagekitty, Sep 26, 3:18pm
Ive had something similar in Bali as well, with white rum

ferita, Sep 26, 5:19pm
Sounds yum as..
virgin colada sorbet.

Dont worry about the negative freaks. They dont have a clue about food.

accroul, Sep 26, 9:25pm
Blimmen heck, what sort of placenta have you been looking at elliehen?

lizab, Sep 26, 11:25pm
sounds yum to me too - the addition of rum would be superb!!!

cookessentials, Sep 26, 11:59pm
sounds lovely and refreshing, like a granita.
Rum, Coconut & Lime (use coconut milk, fresh coconut meat or coconut water- or all 3)

elliehen, Sep 27, 12:38am
Most recently, those of farm animals.Hope I haven't put you off ;)

katalin2, Sep 27, 12:38am
shadowzz- sounds lovely, have had something similar on travels in South East Asia. Do you think it would work with tinned coconut cream or do you need fresh coconut- which is really hard to get in the south island? Thanks for sharing the recipe.

accroul, Sep 27, 1:37am
Lol, not at all! I was just wondering 'cause the last 2 I saw definately not the colour of 'coconut pie'!

shadowzz, Sep 27, 2:33am
My problem with canned coconut cream is it gives me a brain fog hangover. I know some who say it doesn't effect them but I think they have permanent brain fog anyway.

shadowzz, Sep 27, 2:35am
Anyone got a recipe for those beautiful Balinese no flour coconut cakes?

shadowzz, Sep 27, 3:25am
Ceres Organic coconut cream , contents
Coconut, Carrageenan (EO47), Water.
Carrageenan
Findings over the years in Europe and the United States suggest that
assumptions about the safety of carrageenan need to be reconsidered
and that carrageenan may need to be better regulated by the Food and
Drug Administration (FDA), said Dr. Tobacman. "There seems to be
enough evidence associating carrageenan with significant
gastrointestinal lesions, including malignancies, to avoid ingesting
it," she said.

http://www.healthy-communications.com/carrageenan.html

elliehen, Sep 27, 4:47am
shadowzz, isn't it interesting that as soon as the words 'organic' or 'natural' are mentioned, some people go onto a sort of uncritical autopilot and look no further.

shadowzz, Sep 27, 5:02am
The main culprit is the word "pure" as in sugar, salt, oil etc. Although I am a fan of sea weed I get a hangover off "pure" processed seaweed extract. Pure Just Juice is my worst poison.

uli, Sep 27, 5:36am
I have 20 tins here in my cupboard - and they all have"coconut, water" printed on their labels - and nothing else.

I have no clue why shadowzz is talking nonsense here.

The only other option is that Ceres has meanwhile imported some coconut cream from another country and that has additives. Mine are 5 months old ...

But I feel very well looked after by you two - keep it up. Luckily I can still read and see what I buy before I pay for it.

I would also think that "organic" is a term that cannot be used in the same way as "natural", as it has some legal implications. But you would know more about that being vegetarian ellie.

shadowzz, Sep 27, 8:13am