Roti Bread

Page 1 / 2
krusty15, Sep 22, 11:07pm
I am making a curry for tea tonight and dont have any Roti Bread left in Freezer, so thought i might make some,but cannot find a recipe in any of my books and I have quite a few.....Does anybody have a good recipe they use??

marcs, Sep 23, 2:36am
It is just plain flour and hot water. You need to make it into a soft dough so that you can roll it. Add some butter after the dough comes together and knead till smooth. The softness of your roti depends on how soft your dough is.

cookessentials, Sep 23, 7:40am
I do have a great recipe,just got to find it!, in the meantime, here is a link to NZ Herald recipe by Amanda Laird

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/recipes-by-amanda-laird/news/article.cfm?c_id=1501060&objectid=10590818

pink-dragon, Sep 23, 7:46am
Could this recipe also be used to make the flat breads used for wraps?

eastie3, Sep 23, 8:42am
http://chefinyou.com/2010/07/hara-bhara-paratha/

This is a really nice recipe although too late for your dinner tonight.I halve the recipe and still get 6 or 7 parathas.I also like to slowly cook sliced onions until they are soft and golden,about 15mins or so and use that as a stuffing along with a couple of TBS of cottage cheese and 1tsp of cumin.

marcs, Sep 24, 1:20am
If you are making roti/parathas use boiled/hot water. Makes them softer and doesn't hard when it gets cold.

eastie3, Sep 24, 5:48am
Thanks for the tip marcs,I will try that.

meegs35, Sep 26, 9:21am
My lovely Indian friends told me how to make Roti and after a couple of go's I think I have cracked it. Now they taste fantastic and very authentic. They told me to add boiling water to plain bread (or 1/3 wholemeal, 2/3 plain) and mix t get a soft dough. Also add about a tablespoon of plain oil. Knead a few minutes and let sit for about 10-20 mins to relax the gluten. Take golf sized balls off and roll them in flour to geta circle. Cook in a heated pan (pretty hot). They should start to puff up. Make sure you roll them pretty thinly a bit like a pancake. Cook briefly on the other side. Stack up on a plate lined with a couple of handy towels. Delicious and very very easy!

lindylambchops1, Jan 12, 11:34pm
I am just in the processing of making these.They are just 'resting'!Pan at the ready!They are so easy.Thanks for sharing that recipe.

lindylambchops1, Jan 13, 12:58am
Reporting back.....they were a great success am going to do them again & again & again!LOL

bev00, Jan 13, 11:01am
Love Indian bread

wineo, Jan 13, 9:13pm
re makimg rotis. Please clarify bread used, do you just use the middle of a loaf of bread, or do you use sliced bread and include the crusts, thank in advance

davidt4, Jan 13, 10:06pm
I think you are confused about what a roti is.They areflat-breads made from dough as explained above.A loaf of bread or sliced bread doesn't come into it.

eastie3, Jan 14, 12:58am
I see this thread has been bumped.I have incorporated the use of oil and boiling water into my flatbreads and they work as well as promised by the other posters.

lyl_guy, Jan 14, 1:39am
I think that was a typo.The poster typed 'bread' instead of 'flour' in the recipe.It stumped me for a moment too!

wineo, Jan 14, 5:53am
Thanx lyl_guy, for clearing that up, I know no not to take everything as it reads

buzzy110, Jan 14, 8:31am
Are you certain about the difference between roti bread and ordinary bread now! Roti is a flat bread, made without yeast and cooked either in a tandoor, or because NZers don't normally have a tandoor in their kitchens, a frying pan.

iman007, Jan 14, 11:47pm
if you like indian bread, next time you get a curry get a kheema naan, filled with minced lamb, pretty dam good!

krusty15, Sep 22, 11:07pm
I am making a curry for tea tonight and dont have any Roti Bread left in Freezer, so thought i might make some,but cannot find a recipe in any of my books and I have quite a few.Does anybody have a good recipe they use!

cookessentials, Sep 23, 7:40am
I do have a great recipe,just got to find it!, in the meantime, here is a link to NZ Herald recipe by Amanda Laird

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/recipes-by-amanda-laird/news/article.cfm!c_id=1501060&objectid=10590818

pink-dragon, Sep 23, 7:46am
Could this recipe also be used to make the flat breads used for wraps!

tich50, Sep 23, 8:12am
krusty,imakethereallyeasyone.approx3 cupsofflour,somesalt,andjustaddcoldwateruntilihavetherightconsistency.iwouldkneaditalittleandthenrollintoa'sausageroll'.ithenjustcutoffapiece,rollitoutontoaflouredboard,spreadsomesoftbutteronandfolditintoaball (firstinsemi -circle,thenquartersandthenpushintoaballshape) andleaveitonaplate.icontinueinthismanneruntilallthedoughareworkedup (about8/9roti's ).
irolleachroti,oneatatime,outontotheflouredboardandthenfryitonbothsidesinamixtureofbutterandoil.whileinthepanimanipulatewithtwospoonsbypushingitinwards,etc.mysister-in-lawusesbakingpaperandusesherhands.ialwaysgetniceroti's.alltheyearsusedtomakeitwithwarmwater,etc.untilidiscoveredthiseasymethod.

eastie3, Sep 23, 8:42am
http://chefinyou.com/2010/07/hara-bhara-paratha/

This is a really nice recipe although too late for your dinner tonight.I halve the recipe and still get 6 or 7 parathas.I also like to slowly cook sliced onions until they are soft and golden,about 15mins or so and use that as a stuffing along with a couple of TBS of cottage cheese and 1tsp of cumin.

marcs, Sep 24, 1:20am
If you are making roti/parathas use boiled/hot water. Makes them softer and doesn't hard when it gets cold.

meegs35, Sep 26, 9:21am
My lovely Indian friends told me how to make Roti and after a couple of go's I think I have cracked it. Now they taste fantastic and very authentic. They told me to add boiling water to plain bread (or 1/3 wholemeal, 2/3 plain) and mix t get a soft dough. Also add about a tablespoon of plain oil. Knead a few minutes and let sit for about 10-20 mins to relax the gluten. Take golf sized balls off and roll them in flour to geta circle. Cook in a heated pan (pretty hot). They should start to puff up. Make sure you roll them pretty thinly a bit like a pancake. Cook briefly on the other side. Stack up on a plate lined with a couple of handy towels. Delicious and very very easy!