SWEET AND SOUR FISH WITH RICE...PLEASE...???

devalois, Sep 21, 11:28pm
Would love to serve guests a sweet-'n-sour fish dish, served on rice this weekend...Cannot find mum's recipe for the sauce, and unsure whether I need to do anything with the fish before cooking it in the sauce??? A beautiful fresh fish shop has just opened in Stratford and we've had several gorgeous meals from fish I've bought there these last couple of weeks. Thanks!!! devalois

indy95, Sep 21, 11:42pm
Devalois, if you enter sweet and sour fish in the search box on the left of your screen and choose Anytime as the date posted option you will find several recipes to choose from.

theanimal1, Sep 22, 12:29am
Sweet and Sour fish

1 tbsp peanut oil,
1 clove garlic crushed,
2 tsp grated fresh ginger,
1 onion cut into thin wedges,
1 carrot halved lengthways and thinly sliced,
½ red & ½ green capsicum cut into thin strips,
1 celery stick thinly sliced,
½ c plain flour,
¼ c rice flour,
1 tsp castor sugar,
½ tsp ground white pepper,
500 g firm white fish fillets cut into 3-4 cm cubes,
1 egg beaten with 1 tbsp water, oil to deep fry,
2 spring onions sliced diagonally.

Sauce:
¼ c rice vinegar,
1 tbsp cornflour,
3 tbsp tomato sauce,
2 tbsp sugar,
2 tsp light soy sauce,
1/4c pineapple juice,
1 tbsp dry sherry and
2 tbsp vegetable stock.

To make sauce, combine vinegar & cornflour then stir in Tomato sauce, sugar, soy sauce, pineapple juice, sherry, stock & ½ c water. Heat wok to medium, add oil, swirl to coat sides, cook garlic & ginger for 30 seconds, add onion, carrot, capsicum & celery and stir fry for 3-4 minutes, add sauce, increase heat to high and stir fry for 1-2 minutes or until thickened.
Remove from heat and keep warm.
Combine flours, sugar and pepper in a bowl.
Dip each fish in the egg then coat in flour mixture, shaking off excess.
Fill a deep heavy based saucepan one-third full of oil & heat to 180c or until a cube of bread browns in 15 seconds.
Deep fry fish in batches for 3 minutes or until cooked and golden. Drain on paper towels and keep warm.
Return to the wok with sauce to medium heat.***
Gently toss the fish through, top with spring onion and serve immediately.

cookessentials, Sep 22, 1:28am
Thi is the one I do which i have copy and pasted off another thread.

SWEET & SOUR SAUCE
1x onion;2tbsp soy sauce;1x clove garlic;2 tbsp brown sugar;salt;1 tbsp vinegar;1 cup pineapple pieces in juice;1/4 cup cold water;2 tbsp cornflour; ground ginger.

Peel and finely chop the onion, crush the garlic in salt. Combine pineapple, soy sauce;ground ginger and vinegar in saucepan. Bring to the boil and simmer 2-3 mins. Mix cornflour to a paste with the water. Add the sauce and cook till clear and thickened for three minutes. I use this sauce for a lovely sweet and sour fish. If you want the remainder of the recipe for the fish, let me know.

Quotecookessentials (1093 )7:51 pm, Mon 28 Jun #4
Oh yes please, that sauce sounds supberb, thankyou sooooo much for your time :)

Quotepaddocks (172 )2:17 pm, Wed 30 Jun #5
It is easy. i use a good white fish such as terakihi or snapper. Cut into small pieces - bitesize or so. Dredge in flour,then beaten egg and breadcrumbs to which you have added some sesame seeds. Place on a paper towel lined plate and refrigerate for about an hour. This helps the coating stay on and gives you a nice golden coating. I shallow fry in batches - keeping the cooked ones hot in the oven on a plate. Serve with rice ( if you wish) the fish pieces and topped with the sweet and sour sauce. You can have this without rice and just have the fish and sauce if you wish.

Quotecookessentials (1093 )2:20 pm, Wed 30 Jun #6

devalois, Apr 11, 7:07pm
Thanks so much guys: much appreciated. Both sound gorgeous, and I look forward to trying them out. devalois