Raw fish in NZ

vailima1, Sep 21, 5:18am
Floating in the pacific we used Marlin and tuna mainly for raw fish.

What is a good fish to use in NZ.

tried hoki once but not that good of a texture.

Can you buy Marlin in NZ?

goldgurl_design, Sep 21, 5:19am
we just use mullet...and fresh cream, not coconut cream.I'll only have coconut cream in my raw fish if it's been freshly made - not the crap from the can :)

davidt4, Sep 21, 5:48am
Trevally makes excellent raw fish if it's very fresh.

beaker59, Sep 21, 6:08am
Trevelli, Snapper, Kingfish, Kahawai, terakihi, are ones I have used succesfully but there are others I have also made it with trout but only very fat well conditioned ones.Tuna and Salmon of course are very good and sometimes affordable to buy.

Personally I use tinned coconut cream and find it good I have had freshly made cream in the islands and its better for sure but canned works pretty well.

Certainly its a favourite in summer for our family.

vailima1, Sep 21, 6:35am
Thanks, I am not a big fan of fish and would eat steak in preference anyday...

But a good ika mata (raw fish) hits the spot every time.

good for hang overs as well!

Chop one small chilli in as well and a small grate of fresh ginger
gives it a point of difference.

nahzee, Sep 21, 6:51am
Fresh snappers good on the day,say a couple hours after being made..but over night marinated it goes soggy(not that it bothers me)..lol...but the real Raw Fish is to go fishing whist hungry,when you catch one..scale,fillet and eat as is with bread......Primo

vailima1, Sep 21, 7:34am
just on the conservation reason above although not a targeted species and are a brilliant looking game fish for sport fisherman.

they are considered a low value by catch and often dumped at sea rather than be processed.

I am not keen on broadbill but Marlin is choicejust cooked though and the raw fish of choice.

Not starting a war here but if available try it and see the difference.

duna1, Sep 21, 8:03am
I use travelly and snapper

duna1, Sep 21, 8:04am
and kahawai

guest, Oct 17, 1:00pm
Lemon shark is nice two...you have to use the samoan coconut cream, the others arent as authentic and watery.