New favourite salad

westigal, Sep 21, 2:19am
Had this at a steak house not long ago, was so nice I begged the chef for the recipe

Take a bunch of silver beet, yes silver beet, wash well and strip the leavesfrom the stems.
Slice it VERY finely.
take 1 orange and finely grate the rind into the silverbeet,chop orange in half then squeeze the juice of one half on top.Chop the other half into bite size pieces and add to silverbeet as well . Add 1/4 - 1/2 cup of any vinagrette dressing and toss lightly.Our choice is chilli and lime

This is you basic recipe. To this I had chopped tomato, avacado, fetta, any thing you like in the salad line.
I am not a great fan of cooked silverbeet but this is soooo yummy it is now a family favourite.
Will never bother with lettuce again. And it looks so pretty on the plate

babytears, Sep 21, 2:35am
YUM! The Lone Star make a coleslaw that uses raw silverbeet and it's really yummy too!

cap, Sep 21, 5:19am
I don't like lettuce salads any more either - much prefer baby spinach leaves.

mindi1, Sep 21, 5:49am
I throw together what I call a green and white salad using cooked chicken. It is yummo.

Roughly break up cooked chicken to bite sizes.
Mix with anything green ~ spring onions, capsicum, avocado (though add just before serving), coriander or basil or some herb you like, snow peas ... anything really ... and of course you could add colour but I like green.

Season with cracked pepper or whatever you fancy.

Toss through with a mayonnaisey dressing ~ I use Weightwatchers lemon & pepper.

nfh1, Sep 21, 5:50am
You have just given me an idea for dinner - many thanks.Only me to cater for so that will be lovely with some soup and a roll.

mindi1, Sep 21, 5:56am
Another one that is surprisingly tasty and very cheap ~~ good for young flatters ~~ is a noodle salad.

One packet or pottle of chicken 2 minute noodles.
Flavour sachet from same.
Oil and vinegar.
Sliced raw cabbage (as you'd cut it for coleslaw).

Mix together the chicken flavouring, oil and vinegar ~~ sorry, can't state measurements, just mix to your own taste sort of like a vinegarette.
Mix up the noodles and slaw.
Stir through the vinegarette close enough to serving time so that the noodles still have some crunch to them.

Yum.

mindi1, Sep 21, 5:58am
Should have said, the noodles are not cooked, hence the crunch.

blt10, Feb 8, 10:35pm
Thanks op