Page 1 / 2
buzzy110, Jan 3, 3:06am
Here is the recipe I have used for years and it is foolproof:

120g (40z) Butter
1 Cup Water
1 Cup Flour
4 Eggs

.Bring Butter and Water to a full boil over moderate heat
.Add sifted Flour while it is still over the heat and beat hard with a wooden spoon until the mixture forms balls and leaves the side of the pan
.Cool to lukewarm
.You can transfer the mixture to the bowl of your mixer at this point and let it cool there or you can finish the recipe by hand and leave it to cool in the pot
Heat oven to 220dC
.Once lukewarm add eggs, one at a time, beating thoroughly. Do not add another egg till the mixture is stiff and all the egg is absorbed
.The final paste should be smooth, glossy and hold its shape.
.Pipe or spoon onto a paper lined baking tray
.Bake for 20mins @ 220dC to rise and set your case
.Then bake at 150dC for 30-40mins till crisp and inside has dried out

If you space each case carefully you can just fit the whole lot onto one tray.

macac, Sep 19, 3:52am
Thanks Buzzy Perfect

chef1964, Sep 19, 4:43am
15 or so eggs for that amount of other ingredients is (imho and my opinion as an exec chef and with 20+ yrs experience)
is NOT right
we use 6 cups of water and 510 g butter and from (memory alone) 820 g flour and we only use 8 or 9 eggs and our mix always turns out fine
and we do not ever use bp

pickles7, Oct 14, 9:03pm
Eclairs... cream puffs... savoury cases... profriteroles
Boil 620 mils of water, 350 grams of butter, add 450 grams of flour, stiring with a wooden spoon cook untill mixture leaves the side of the pot....cool for 5 minutes...beat in15-16 eggs 1 at a time beating well, after each egg has been added..should be a stiff mix...
eclairs... pipe 6-8cm long ....bake 20-30 minutes in a hot oven.. do not open the oven door while this mix is cooking. One or two flicks of water onto the trays before baking.
cream puffs... pipe Tblsp size lots....same as eclaires
savoury cases... same as cream puffs....same as eclairs
profriteroles... teaspoon lots....10 -15 minutes...

punkinthefirst, Oct 15, 1:46am
Is that 15-16 eggs??? Thats one HELL of a lot of choux paste!!

denbru, Oct 15, 3:50am
I would like to know the answer to this also seems a lot to me but then watching masterchef last night when they made that dessert dish with custard in the filling of the puffs and caramel which looked delicious this could be right as their was a lot of eggs in that tower dessert hey made.

pickles7, Oct 15, 4:25am
Yes that is right. It is a large mixture. they freeze very well. If you get I pencil and draw the number 2 about 10 cm high, imagining a swans neck, that is what you have.. Pipe a thin no. 2 on your tray starting at the bottom, so you can get a nice "head'. you will after a few goes have it sorted. They do not take long to cook maybe 10/15 minutes. These can be used in both the puffs and eclaires. You will work it out. great for the little ones. Good luck, enjoy.PS*** great dessert filled with custard, cream, [even broken glass, less fat]fruit , chocolate sauce, make those a little larger.

holdenss, Oct 15, 4:31am
just some tips too for the unconfident baker, add 1 tsp of Baking powder for garantee rise and at the end of 15-20min bake turn oven off, leave door slightly ajar to dry out any gooey interior that may be left behind for say 30min.

kvb, Oct 15, 10:11pm
That recipe on Masterchef is on their website
www.masterchef.com.au

kvb, Oct 15, 10:13pm
Croquembouche under the the heading Recipes/Pressure test

lythande1, Oct 16, 1:50am
You can add cheese to the mix, bit of paprika and some crumbled crispy bacon and they make yum snacks. Doesn't always have to be sugary stuff.

ashanti, Dec 9, 10:46pm
Buzzy110 I had always been frightened to give this pastry a go, made your recipe and they turned out so well, thank you!

buzzy110, Dec 10, 5:38am
My pleasure. It is the best recipe out of all the ones I have tried so I am glad I could share it.

bullock123, Dec 10, 5:46am
I have tried this recipe also PERFECT.I sometimes havle it.I have never bought any eclairssince A+++++ recipe

245sam, Oct 4, 11:32pm
An unanswered question here for pickles7.:-))

pickles7, Oct 5, 1:31am
Sorry never knew of the questions, hardly come in here, too busy.
It was our choux paste recipe when we had our bakery.If you are familiar with using choux paste, you will know what you are looking for.
We never dried them right out, they were yummy nice and soft. We would have looked for approx.6 dozen.
The recipe .buzzy110.has put up would be great for house hold use.

pickles7, Oct 5, 1:49am
I just found the recipe we made up using the Bakels eclair mix. We switched to using it .
1kg. of choux mix
800 gr. water
900 gr eggs
mix 1 minute scrape down, beat full power 5-6 minutes

fisher, Oct 11, 3:40am
buzzy,your recipe seems more "affordable" :) and simple so making it fresh each time shouldn't be a problem. have copied and will use over the coming xmas period.

buzzy110, Oct 11, 3:44am
The first is a catering one though and would be of great assistance to anyone wanting to make bulk cases.

fisher, Oct 11, 3:49am
yup i spose if you had a big function. but there is some criticism and doubtof the number of eggs to use.!

pickles7, Oct 11, 6:30am
The eggs are correct for that recipe, used it for years. The eggs are the variable ingredient. We would have known when to stop adding them, depending on the size.
I will be making this up again soon. I will try and remember, to measure out the egg.

fisher, Oct 11, 6:44am
yup be good to get it spot on as it could be an expensive lesson. so if say,I wanted a doz (12) eclairs.how many do you think would come from the TOTAL recipe. how many doz would it make.!

vashti, Oct 11, 8:06am
Yep, I make cream puffs a lot, and this is the recipe I have worked out too. Exactly the same including temps.The baking sheet helps too.

vashti, Oct 11, 8:25am
I am wondering now if I got the temperatures from Bullock123 because did at one time have trouble getting them to cook right through,if you have posted this before Bullock123, thanks a million.

fisher, Oct 12, 6:44am
yup be good to get it spot on as it could be an expensive lesson. so if say,I wanted a doz (12) eclairs and freeze the rest.how many do you think would come from the TOTAL recipe. how many doz would it make.!