HELP!!! family all gone to uni and only 2 to feed

mumstu, Feb 23, 4:28am
I am having a bit of trouble just making enough for the 3 of us? Its so weird making smaller amounts of things. Can someone give me advice on how to know how much meat to buy for 3 adults (one a 15 year old) in amounts for meat etc? I would be greatful? many thanks :o)

mumstu, Feb 23, 4:29am
oops I mean 3 of us. . lol

goldgurl, Feb 23, 4:34am
Trial and error I guess... you know better than us how much you and the other two people eat... then you can freeze what's left over into single serving meals or as a meal for three to pop in the freezer for nights when you are running late?

Otherwise... I think it's like 100gms of meat per person? That's really small though - my hubby would quickly trade me in if I only put 100gms on meat on his plate LOL

theanimal1, Feb 23, 4:37am
is your teen a big eater?

edited to add... i should have asked are You 3... big eaters?

245sam, Feb 23, 4:41am
mumstu, my understanding is that the current thinking is that one's meat portion should be the size of the palm of one's hand so the smaller the person, the smaller the hand and therefore the proportionally smaller meat portion. These thoughts/facts are not much help when buying meat by the gram or Kg so I base my thinking on what I've always understood to be the case re the weight of a meat portion i. e. about 4oz per adult person. 4oz = 114g so when buying the meatI generally allow about 100g-125g per adult, depending on how lean the meat is and if any of the weight is going to be lost by any necessary trimming of fat AND of course, if the meat is bone-in, then the weight of the bone also has to be taken into consideration.

Hope that helps but please be aware that you are not by any means the first to experience these difficulties - I am the eldest of four and I remember my Mum saying the same or similar as you as we 'left the nest'. :-))

beaker59, Feb 23, 6:15am
That was the time in my life when I really got to enjoy cooking, get experimental, buy a new ingredient every week and learn how to use it.

alewis, Feb 23, 8:11am
I would almost do a bit more than you used to and make a freezer dinner for the 3 of you, I am finding it hard at the moment as am one down whom was a vegeterian - whom didnt like veggies btw... I have things sitting in the pantry and fridge I didnt realise she ate so many of those foods, I am still getting it right with portions, but have 2 teenage boys am feeding so its better to have too much than too little. . must admit am enjoying not cooking two seperate meals and the spoon can go from the meat to the pasta back to the meat without a tantrum and refusal of eating dinner lol

bean21, Feb 24, 12:40am
for 3 of you a maxof about 500g mince is sufficient. If that should give you any idea,

midnightgirl, Feb 24, 12:48am
Embrace the freedom and freeze the extra if you have made too much. Put your feet up once and a while, no fun cooking in this heat anyway.

darlingmole, Feb 24, 1:55am
I can only dream the day will come that my numbers will drop~! Well the general rule of thumb is 100g of meat per person. But I thoroughly agree with midnightgirl ... continue to cook the way you have and freeze the leftovers so you can relax far more often!

gilligee, Feb 24, 2:03am
Don't forget the foodhampers for the ones at Uni!
Mother of the Year and all that.

6kid1, Feb 25, 2:50am
Hi Ya Sis, Make what you used to and send the rest to me in a food parcel. hehehe Just invite me to dinner! ! ! ! I will donate some of my kids and then it will be sweet! ! You can have the moaning "I hate that"So you dont feel left out. Dont say Im not helpful. lol.

gildon, Sep 7, 9:17am
I know just what you mean mumstu. It took me a long time to get used to cooking for just 2. I allow a max. 300 gm of meat or fish per meal and find that is plenty (for the 2 of us that is) so 500 gm for 2 normal eaters and a teenager should be about right.