Chilli Jelly

Page 1 / 2
rosielee3, Aug 31, 3:28am
Hi all - has any one made a chilli jelly before? Taste like whats in sweet chilli philly. My nanas friend made her some and it was devine. i have asked my nana to ask, but not sure if i will be given the reciepe.

thank you

cookessentials, Aug 31, 3:50am
Courtesy of the Kitchen Godess Nigella Lawson

Although I call this chilli jam, I don’t mean by this that it’s the sort of thing you’d spread on your toast at breakfast (though smeared inside a bacon sandwich, it could be a real help one hungover morning) but rather a chilli jelly - chelly? – that glows a fiery, flecked red and is fabulous with cold meats or a cheese plate. And just a small pot of it makes a gorgeous present. In the traditional run of things, jellies are incredibly hard work to make, or at least I find them so. If I tell you that jelly-making tends to involve tying jelly bags or pieces of muslin to the leg of an upended stool and straining stuff through the fine cloth into a bowl sitting in the underside of the stool’s seat for at least 12 hours, you’ll get the picture. But don’t worry. I don’t strain – in either sense of the word – myself, but leave the orange-glowing red jelly cheerfully freckled with the bits of chilli and sweet pepper, and instead of getting my jellied set from preparing, cooking and sieving bucketloads of high pectin fruit, I simply cook the chillies in vinegar and pectin-added sugar, an essential ingredient I buy from the supermarket where it is labelled ‘jam sugar’. It could scarcely be easier. I make the “chelly with equal weights of hot and sweet peppers, but if you wanted a bit more fire in your jelly, you could up the amount of chilli peppers and reduce the amount of bell pepper. But this proportion provides enough tingle for those who like it hot, but without burning out more sensitive palates

150g long fresh red chillies, each deseeded and cut into about 4 pieces.
150g red peppers, cored, deseeded and cut into rough chunks
1kg jam sugar
600ml cider vinegar
6 x 250ml sealable jars, with vinegar-proof lid, such as Kilner jar or re-usable pickle jar
Serving Size : Makes approx. 1.5. Litres

1. Sterilize your jars and leave to cool.
2. Put the cut-up chillies into a food processor and pulse until they are finely chopped. Add the chunks of red pepper and pulse again until you have a vibrantly red-flecked processor bowl.
3. Dissolve the sugar in the vinegar in a wide, medium-sized pan over a low heat without stirring.
4. Scrape the chilli-pepper mixture out of the bowl and add to the pan. Bring the pan to the boil, then leave it at a rollicking boil for 10 minutes.
5. Take the pan off the heat and allow it cool. The liquid will become more syrupy, then from syrup to viscous and from viscous to jelly-like as it cools.
6. After about 40 minutes, or once the red flecks are more or less evenly dispersed in the jelly (as the liquid firms up, the hints of chilli and pepper start being suspended in it rather than floating on it), ladle into your jars. If you want to stir gently at this stage, it will do no harm. Then seal tightly.

rosielee3, Aug 31, 4:13am
Thank you so much - that sounds exactly what i am after. Yum i cant wait to make this (hopefully in the weekend) and have it with cream cheese on crackers! mmmm.

cookessentials, Aug 31, 4:26am
Give us a thumbs up if you like it, would love to know what it's like.

wineo, Aug 31, 7:03am
Hi, I have cooked the above and while I am not a chilli person my self, the comments I have received are sweet, too hot, and not hot enough.
cheers

rosielee3, Sep 16, 4:26am
Hi all - been a while since i requested this - but is it meant to go 'fluffy' on the top when you boil it?

cookessentials, Sep 16, 7:34am
Do you mean there is some "foam" on it? this happens when making jams etc,just let it boil and you can skimm any foam off the top as you go.

rosielee3, Sep 16, 9:01am
Yes foam would be a much nicer description! I made this jam/jelly today but not sure if its going to set well ... will let you know how it is in the morning! Smells nice.

rosielee3, Sep 16, 7:29pm
OK so it hasn't set like what i expected, but i have done some reading on this recipe on the net and it has been like this for other people - more like a sauce? Quite disappointed as it was my first attempt at making anything other than a relish/chutney. Live and learn i suppose!! I will keep trying until i get what i want as you cannot buy this at new world!!!

wineo, Sep 16, 11:08pm
When I made the nigella lawson recipie,it did not set like a jam, more like athin jelly

rosielee3, Sep 17, 2:50am
What did you use it for then? i just tasted some and its quite nice - was looking forward to having it on crackers but is too thin to spread

winnie231, Sep 17, 4:13am
I've got a great recipe for Red Pepper, Chilli & Garlic Relish if you're interseted. It's from Robyn Martin.

rosielee3, Sep 17, 4:27am
i would love to try that as well please :) Not what im after for my Chilli Jam/Jelly but we eat lots of relish to so yes please!

winnie231, Sep 17, 4:39am
It actually has quite a 'jelly' like texture so I think you would enjoy it!

Red Pepper, Chilli & Garlic Relish

5 large red peppers
2 long red chillies
6 onions
4 cloves garlic
3 Tblspn non-iodised salt
21/2C sugar
1C cider vinegar

Cut peppers in half & remove seeds & membrane. Cut into quarters.
Cut chillies in half & discard seeds. Peel onions & chop roughly. Crush garlic & peel.
Place all into a food processor & process until finely chopped.
Place in a non-metallic bowl with the salt.
Leave for 2 hrs.
Pour into a sieve & wash well under cold, running water.
Drain.
Place in a saucepan with sugar & vinegar. Bring to the boil & simmer for 45 mins.
Spoon into hot, clean jars & seal.

rosielee3, Sep 17, 6:23am
O sounds yum! Will try that one! Thank you.

juliewn, Nov 3, 1:20am
Bumping for Mallee :-)

rosielee3, Aug 31, 3:28am
Hi all - has any one made a chilli jelly before! Taste like whats in sweet chilli philly. My nanas friend made her some and it was devine. i have asked my nana to ask, but not sure if i will be given the reciepe.

thank you

cookessentials, Aug 31, 3:50am
Courtesy of the Kitchen Godess Nigella Lawson

Although I call this chilli jam, I don’t mean by this that it’s the sort of thing you’d spread on your toast at breakfast (though smeared inside a bacon sandwich, it could be a real help one hungover morning) but rather a chilli jelly - chelly! – that glows a fiery, flecked red and is fabulous with cold meats or a cheese plate. And just a small pot of it makes a gorgeous present. In the traditional run of things, jellies are incredibly hard work to make, or at least I find them so. If I tell you that jelly-making tends to involve tying jelly bags or pieces of muslin to the leg of an upended stool and straining stuff through the fine cloth into a bowl sitting in the underside of the stool’s seat for at least 12 hours, you’ll get the picture. But don’t worry. I don’t strain – in either sense of the word – myself, but leave the orange-glowing red jelly cheerfully freckled with the bits of chilli and sweet pepper, and instead of getting my jellied set from preparing, cooking and sieving bucketloads of high pectin fruit, I simply cook the chillies in vinegar and pectin-added sugar, an essential ingredient I buy from the supermarket where it is labelled ‘jam sugar’. It could scarcely be easier. I make the “chelly with equal weights of hot and sweet peppers, but if you wanted a bit more fire in your jelly, you could up the amount of chilli peppers and reduce the amount of bell pepper. But this proportion provides enough tingle for those who like it hot, but without burning out more sensitive palates

150g long fresh red chillies, each deseeded and cut into about 4 pieces.
150g red peppers, cored, deseeded and cut into rough chunks
1kg jam sugar
600ml cider vinegar
6 x 250ml sealable jars, with vinegar-proof lid, such as Kilner jar or re-usable pickle jar
Serving Size : Makes approx. 1.5. Litres

1. Sterilize your jars and leave to cool.
2. Put the cut-up chillies into a food processor and pulse until they are finely chopped. Add the chunks of red pepper and pulse again until you have a vibrantly red-flecked processor bowl.
3. Dissolve the sugar in the vinegar in a wide, medium-sized pan over a low heat without stirring.
4. Scrape the chilli-pepper mixture out of the bowl and add to the pan. Bring the pan to the boil, then leave it at a rollicking boil for 10 minutes.
5. Take the pan off the heat and allow it cool. The liquid will become more syrupy, then from syrup to viscous and from viscous to jelly-like as it cools.
6. After about 40 minutes, or once the red flecks are more or less evenly dispersed in the jelly (as the liquid firms up, the hints of chilli and pepper start being suspended in it rather than floating on it), ladle into your jars. If you want to stir gently at this stage, it will do no harm. Then seal tightly.

cookessentials, Aug 31, 4:26am
Give us a thumbs up if you like it, would love to know what it's like.

rosielee3, Sep 16, 4:26am
Hi all - been a while since i requested this - but is it meant to go 'fluffy' on the top when you boil it!

cookessentials, Sep 16, 7:34am
Do you mean there is some "foam" on it! this happens when making jams etc,just let it boil and you can skimm any foam off the top as you go.

rosielee3, Sep 16, 9:01am
Yes foam would be a much nicer description! I made this jam/jelly today but not sure if its going to set well . will let you know how it is in the morning! Smells nice.

rosielee3, Sep 16, 7:29pm
OK so it hasn't set like what i expected, but i have done some reading on this recipe on the net and it has been like this for other people - more like a sauce! Quite disappointed as it was my first attempt at making anything other than a relish/chutney. Live and learn i suppose! I will keep trying until i get what i want as you cannot buy this at new world!

rosielee3, Sep 17, 2:50am
What did you use it for then! i just tasted some and its quite nice - was looking forward to having it on crackers but is too thin to spread

winnie231, Sep 17, 4:13am
I've got a great recipe for Red Pepper, Chilli & Garlic Relish if you're interseted. It's from Robyn Martin.