cauliflower recipe ideas please..

Page 1 / 2
jennyl11, Dec 7, 8:05am
x1
besides cheese sauce. . have just picked 3 from the garden and cant be bothered freezing them

martine5, Dec 7, 8:09am
salad with fresh roasted walnuts, good blue cheese and vinagrette

darlingmole, Dec 7, 8:11am
Years ago I had THE most delicious soup at Ohakune near the Junction - roast chicken and cauli flower soup. A wonderful texture - both creamy and also had the crumbley texture (ie: had something to bite into). Very lovely. Have made this myself at home. A wonderful winter soup that everyone enjoyed!

bex32, Dec 7, 8:11am
I roasted some the other day with other veges and it was really nice! Didn't think roasted cauli would be any good but it was great

darlingmole, Dec 7, 8:14am
Cauli is equally yum when partially cooked (al dente) and then servedin very small flowerettes with vinegrette or cream dipping sauces. It is also lovely in stir fries (Island Style Chop Suey is my fav) or else baked in the oven with salmon ... just another thought eh?

jennyl11, Dec 7, 8:15am
great ideas please keep them coming

darlingmole, Dec 7, 8:15am
Hey Bex - how long did you Roast the cauli for? And was it a whole cauli or in flowerettes?

olive_pip, Dec 7, 8:42am
i had a really beautiful cauliflower tart at a dinner party awhile go... no recipe but maybe google it?

bex32, Dec 7, 8:43am
Hey :) I just cut them up into pieces around 5cm, because I had other veges in there cut to bite size. Just drizzled a bit of olive oil over, some chopped garlic, and salt and pepper. Baked for about 20 mins, but you can easily tell when they are cooked!

bex32, Dec 7, 8:44am
ohhh just had another idea, you could make cream of cauliflower soup! I know its summer (or supposed to be! ) but its yummy, and you could freeze it too.

jessie981, Dec 7, 9:28am
Cauliflower Pickle (Aunt Daisy)
Cut up finely 1 large cauli & 4 large onions. Sprinkle with salt & leave overnight. Strain. Boil for 20 mins in 1 quart vinegar.
Thickening: 1/2c flour, 1&1/2 teacups golden syrup, 1/2TBSP curry, 1/2TBSP turmeric, 2 dessertspoons mustard mixed with 1 pint of vinegar. Heat till thick, then stir into other ingredients. Boil a further 5 mins. Bottle when cold.

doug57, Dec 7, 9:39am
I can vouch for the following recipe. . it is delicious!
Cauliflower Crust Pizza! Find the recipe here http://tinyurl.com/5fhtfy
When I made it , none of my kids knew it was cauliflower and were amazed when I casually said that you couldn't taste the cauliflower! . . They all wanted more!

kirinesha, Dec 7, 10:04am
Cauliflower and wholegrain mustard mash- to die for!

fisher, Dec 7, 11:30am
semi steam the cauli and then crumb the heads in breadcrumbs. .
fry the heads until golden brown in a butter and oil mix. . great side dish...

fisher, Dec 7, 11:42am
Cream of Cauliflower Soup
1 medium head cauliflower
1 litre chicken broth
1/4 cup red onion, diced fine
2 tbsp butter
200ml cream
1 tbsp tarragon and 1 tbsp chives crushed in mortar and pestle
salt and pepper
Wash and break up the cauliflower into florets. Place in a large pot with the stock and cook until the cauliflower is just tender. Remove, add the herbs and puree with 1 cup of the stock from the pan. Return to the pot. Soften the onion in the butter for 5-6 minutes. Add onion and cream to the pot. Season with salt and pepper. Taste test and heat the soup through till warm and serve with fine chives for garnish.

cloudberry, Dec 7, 5:18pm
Aloo Gobi (potato and cauliflower curry) is an Indian classic. Google for the recipe or look in any Indian cookbook. I make cauli curry and leave out the potatoes when I'm trying to eat fewer carbs. Both are very good and freezable.

lilyfield, Dec 7, 6:59pm
cauliflower and banana salad in a half and half mayo and joghurt dressing with some curry powder added.

olwen, Dec 7, 7:31pm
I had a cauliflower and almond soup in a cafe. Pureed smooth. I'd guess a chicken stock base, and I think a hint of nutmeg.

bex32, Dec 7, 11:00pm
Yum, thanks for the recipe, i'm going to make it today! I don't have any tarragon, what do you think I could use instead? Or just leave it out?

madzwhippet, Dec 8, 7:54am
for jessie981... ... ... . Aunt Daisy's cauliflower pickle is even nicer made with white vinegar and thickened with maize cornflour... . . wonderful with cheese in a sammy ... . made this way it is glutenfree and with cheese can even make glutenfree bread palatable... . .

pam.delilah, Dec 8, 8:29am
Cauliflower Souffle

1 Cauliflower; medium, cut in -florets
2 tb Butter
2 tb Flour; all purpose
1 c Milk
-Salt & pepper
Nutmeg, ground
4 Eggs; separated
1 c Cheddar cheese; strong, grated
Instructions:
Cook cauliflower in boiling, salted water until tender, drain well and mash.
Melt butter in medium saucepan, blend in flour and cook, stirring over medium heat until bubbly; do not let mixture brown.
Meanwhile, bring milk to a boil in another saucepan.
Add hot milk to butter-flour mixture and cook, stirring over medium heat until sauce thickens and is smooth.
Season to taste with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
Remove from heat. Lightly beat egg yolks and stir into sauce.
Then stir in cheese and cauliflower until smooth.
In a large bowl, beat egg whites until stiff but not dry.
Fold cauliflower mixture gently but thoroughly into beaten egg whites.
Pour into a buttered 2 L souffle dish.
Bake in preheated 350F oven for 30 to 40 minutes, or till puffed, firm and lightly browned.
Serve at once.
SERVES: 4-6

pam.delilah, Dec 8, 8:31am
curried cauliflower fritters

1 cauliflower
flour, for dusting
• vegetable oil
• optional: a small piece of potato, peeled
• a small bunch of fresh flat-leaf parsley, leaves picked
• sea salt
• 1 lemon

for the batter
• 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
• 2 teaspoons black mustard seeds
• 2–3 dried red chillies
• 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
• 200g self-raising flour
• ½ teaspoon turmeric
• 350ml cold beer
• sea salt

First make your batter. Smash up the cumin and mustard seeds, chillies and peppercorns in a pestle and mortar until you have a powder. Put the flour into a mixing bowl and stir in the ground spices and the turmeric. Pour in most of the beer and whisk gently. Check the consistency – you want it to be the thickness of double cream. If it’s too thick, whisk in the rest of the beer. Don’t worry too much about having little lumps in the batter, as they’ll just become nice crunchy bits when you start frying. Season with sea salt and put to one side.

Trim the bottom off the stalk and break the cauliflower into bite-sized florets. Slice up the stalk into 2cm pieces – this way it will all cook at the same rate. Wash the cauliflower, drain it and pat dry with kitchen paper. Place the cauliflower pieces in a bowl and dust with a little flour.

Pour the oil into a deep saucepan – you want it to be about 10–12cm deep – and heat it to 180°C. If you don’t have a thermometer don't worry, just drop a piece of potato into the oil. When it floats to the surface and starts to sizzle, the oil will be at the right temperature so remove the potato from the pan.

Shake any excess flour off the cauliflower. One by one, dip the pieces into the beer batter, then carefully place them in the hot oil, moving them away from you as you do so. Make sure you stand back so you don’t get splashed. It’s best to fry them in batches so you don’t overcrowd the pan (but serve them as soon as each batch is ready). Each time a batch of cauliflower is nearly ready, add some battered parsley leaves to the pan and fry for 40 seconds (you want to serve them scattered over the fritters). Fry the pieces gently, turning them a couple of times with a slotted spoon. When they’re browned and crisp, lift

fisher, Dec 8, 10:01am
bex32... majoram... or last choice basil...

tessie2, Dec 8, 10:21am
Cook cauli until soft, drain well and mash with a large dollop of cream cheese and a dab of butter. Salt & Pepper to taste.

glendeb, Dec 9, 6:06am
Cut into smallish florets, toast some seasame seeds, mix cauli, seeds and a small amount of mayo. Serve as a side dish and try not to eat too much!