Meat Loaf

cookessentials, Sep 8, 9:39pm
I do mine with a mixture of mince, sausage meat, fresh bread crumbs, onion, mixed herbs and a good dash of chipottle sauce. Add an egg and mix well. Place in medium loaf tin and into the oven covered in tin foil at 170C. Take off tinfoil in last 40 mins to brown the top. Some people like to lay strips of thin bacon over the top as well.

cookessentials, Sep 8, 10:26pm
Meatloaf With Crunchy Top - Courtesy of Mindfood Magazine

1 tbsp olive oil

1 large brown onion, finely chopped

200g rindless bacon, finely diced

1 carrot, peeled, finely diced

500g premium beef mince

500g chicken or turkey mince

4 slices white bread, finely diced

1 egg

3 tsp dried mixed herbs

40g butter, melted

750g small potatoes

sea salt

3 cobs of corn, cut into 4 pieces each

1 Preheat oven to 200C. Lightly grease a 20cm x 9.5cm x 7cm-deep (6-cup capacity) loaf pan. Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add onion, bacon and carrot and cook, stirring occasionally, for 
5 minutes or until softened. Cool.

2 Combine beef mince, chicken mince, half the diced bread, egg, mixed herbs and cooled bacon mixture in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Spoon into prepared loaf pan.

3 Place remaining diced bread in a bowl and add melted butter. Stir until combined. Spoon bread mixture on top of meatloaf, pressing lightly onto surface. Bake for 1 hour or until meat 
is firm and cooked through.

Meanwhile, line a baking tray with baking paper. Place potatoes on tray and spray with olive oil. Sprinkle with sea salt flakes. Bake for 45 minutes or until golden.

4 Place a saucepan of water over a high heat. Bring to the boil. Add corn and return to the boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes or until tender. Drain.

Remove meatloaf from oven and 
stand for 5 minutes before removing from loaf pan. Slice and serve with roasted potatoes and corn.

jack47, Sep 9, 3:28am
I like the recipe provided by cookessentials,sounds yummy, I do meatloaf alot and always drain a tin of apricots, mash slightly ,and place in the base of the meatloat tin, sprinkle that with brown sugar,then the meat mix,when you turn out the loaf it has a lovely apricot syrupy sauce on it. Another one I do for the grandkiddies is half filling the tin with mix then breaking eggs and covering with remaining mix,and baking. this is lovely cold too.

cookessentials, Sep 9, 3:52am
I enjoy something with a bit of a glaze or sauce too. The chipotle sauce thingy was just an experiment,but it turned out really nice.

katith, Sep 8, 8:41am
Anyone got a nice easy recipe for a tasty meat loaf

noonesgirl, Mar 7, 12:48pm
Check l/h message board - key in meat loaf, date posted , key in anytime. Choices there.