Chicken Curry Recipe

sara134, Sep 6, 12:16am
Does anyone have a good chicken curry recipe they would like to share with me please :) i have had a look on the net but cant find anything decent.

red2, Sep 6, 1:05am
have just bumped a thread for you Joan Bishops peanut curry recipe - it is very nice

davidt4, Sep 6, 1:13am
Here is a nice mild one.If you want a hot one let me know.

Chicken & Spinach Curry

2 tsp coriander seeds
1 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
3 tab ghee, butter or coconut oil
1 kg boneless chicken thighs in large chunks
4 onions finely chopped
6 cloves
6 green cardamom pods
1 black cardamom pod
10cm piece cinnamon or cassia stick
10 black peppercorns
4 cassia leaves  if available
3 tsp garam masala
1/2 tsp tumeric
2 tsp paprika
8cm fresh ginger, grated
4 cloves garlic, chopped
2 tsp salt
1 c thick full-fat yoghurt
1 large bunch of spinach

Toast coriander & cumin in small pan, grind. (Or use ground spices).

Heat oil in large pan and fry chicken over high heat until lightly browned.  Remove from pan.   Add more oil if necessary and add onions, cloves, cardamoms, peppercorns and leaves, fry gently for about 20 min until starting to brown.  Stir often.

Add cumin, coriander, garam masala, tumeric & paprika and stir 1 min.  Add meat, ginger, garlic, salt & yoghurt, 250 ml water.   Cover and simmer until chicken is tender - about 45 min.   Uncover and cook until moisture evaporated.

Meanwhile clean spinach, blanch or steam until just softened.   Drain very thoroughly between two chopping boards and chop finely.   Add to chicken and cook 3 - 5 min until hot and well mixed.

sara134, Sep 6, 3:44am
Thanks for the help :)

chooky, Sep 6, 8:04am
I use the one in the Edmonds Cookbook and that is lovely.

loulou104, Sep 7, 2:50am
anyone have a curry recipe that doesn't need heaps of spices? Would love to make one but cant really afford to go and buy all those ingrediets. Thanks

davidt4, Sep 7, 2:52am
Spices are an essential part of any curry - you can't make one without them.

shellz596, Sep 7, 2:57am
Hi davidt, I would love to have a hot curry, I do love a lot of your recipes, thanks, nice to see you back

shellz596, Sep 7, 2:59am
do you have curry powder in your cubourd, this is a nice way to make a curry just us coconut cream, you can buy a can for $1 from pak n save or you veg shop.

davidt4, Sep 7, 3:04am
Thanks shellz596.Here's a hottish one - can be made with lamb, mutton or goat

Masalchi Mutton (Lamb and coriander curry)

1 ½ c fresh coriander leaves and stems
6 - 12 small hot chillies (e.g. cayenne, serrano)
6 cloves garlic
5 cm ginger
8 cardamom pods
1 cinnamon stick, broken
6 cloves
1 tab ground coriander
1 tsp ground tumeric
1 tsp chilli powder
2 tsp black peppercorns, cracked
2 cassia leaves (if available)
4 tab peanut oil
1 kg lamb or goat shoulder, in chunks
3 onions, chopped
3 tomatoes, chopped
2 tsp salt

Puree 1 c coriander, chillies, garlic and ginger, adding a little water if necessary.

Heat a small heavy pan, lightly crush cardamom and add to pan with cinnamon and cloves, roast about 4 minutes until fragrant.Cool andpulverize.Add coriander, tumeric, chilli powder, pepper and cassia.

In large pan heat 1 tab oil over high heat and brown meat lightly, do not overbrown.Remove meat from pan, add remaining oil and onions, reduce heat to medium and cook onions about 10 minutes, stirring, until golden brown.Add coriander paste and stir about 2 minutes until it loses its raw aroma.

Add tomatoes and stir 5 min.Return meat to pan, add spice mixture and salt, reduce heat to low, cover and cook very gently for about 90 minutes until meat is tender.Stir often and check liquid level.

When tender, turn off heat and leave 5 minutes to rest.Check seasoning, sprinkle with remaining coriander to serve.

loulou104, Sep 7, 3:32am
cool. thanks

shellz596, Sep 7, 3:36am
Thank's davidt, I will be trying this it sound really nice, once again you have come up with a loverly recipe, cheers.

petal1955, Mar 3, 4:19pm