coucous - what can I do with it?

justdelite, Jan 25, 9:36pm
I have had it in the pantry for a while with great intentions but the truth is I dont really know what to do with it. Anyone have a great recipe?

twinsforus, Jan 25, 9:43pm
I make a roasted veg salad. I chop up potato, pumpkin, kumara, carrot, zuchini, red onion into bite size pieces drizzle it with olive oil and a sprinkle of sea salt, some rosemary or thyme, then dump it all in a roasting pan with a whole bulb of garlic (with the top cut off) Roast until tender, then add to couscous that is cooked to the packet instructions (I sometimes add a bit of powdered chicken stock to the cooking water). I squeeze all the garlic out and chop it before adding it. If I don't have any red onion I use spring onion, which I add to the couscous raw.

vinee, Jan 25, 9:46pm
yum yum cous cous.
Do you know how to 'cook' it?
equal quantities of cc and boiling liquid. cover and sit until the liquid is absorbed, fluff with a fork.
liquid can be water, stock or even tomato juice etc. .
I have it with salady things like you'd put in a pasta salad.
or you can have it as the starch of a meal.
I think traditionally it was Turkish? so spicy lamb and dried fruits...

tradesdaughter, Jan 25, 9:49pm
I add Double water, otherwise its a bit stiff.

245sam, Jan 25, 10:16pm
justdelite, couscous can be used for

**warm or cold salads - here's the link to a couscous version of tabbouleh:-

http://tvnz.co.nz/view/page/413551/2063269

**as a warm or cold accompaniment in a similar way to how rice is served
** as a dessert
** as the base ingredient for stuffing, instead of breadcrumbs - for chicken, capsicums, mushrooms... . .
** in soups
** I find that couscous (and also instant potato flakes) can be very useful as a thickener - but care is needed that not too much is used as a little couscous can make a very significant difference.

IMO the main thing to remember with couscous is that it is very bland (tasteless? ) without added fllavouring(s) so it blends welll (with minimal added flavouring) with any well-flavoured dishes but in most cases it needs to be well-flavoured with additions such as herbs, spices, lemon or orange rind and zest, etc.

Here's a link where there's some info' that you may find interesting and helpful:-

http://www.sanremo.com. au/products/product-range? cat=32

I have lots of recipes for using couscous (not all of them personally tried and tested) so if you have a particular flavour/use for your couscous please do ask and I'll most likely be able to help but here's a couple of recipes that we do really enjoy... . .

Jo Seagar's LEMON COUSCOUS
grated zest and juice of 3 lemons
1 cup well-flavoured chicken stock
2 tbsp olive oil
1 packed cup couscous
3 tbsp freshly chopped parsley or coriander
2 tsp lemon pepper seasoning
salt to taste (see note below)

Bring to the boil the chicken stock, olive oil and lemon juice. Remove from the heat and add the couscous. Stir briefly, then cover and leave to stand for 5 minutes for the couscous to absorb the liquid.
Toss with a fork then add and fork through the lemon zest, parsley or coriander, lemon pepper seasoning, lemon zest and salt to taste.
Serve warm or cold - (can be easily reheated in the microwave).
Serves 4–6.
Notes:Salt will probably not be necessary if instant stock powder has been used.

Robyn Martin's MOROCCAN COUSCOUS SALAD
1 cup each of couscous and boiling water
2 tsp chicken stock powder
¼ cup each of olive oilandwhite vinegar
1 each red and green capsicum
2 sticks celery
½ cup raisins
2 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground cumin
½ tsp chilli powder

Combine the water, stock powder, 2 tbsp olive oil and bring the mixture to a rolling boil. Add the couscous, stir it through and let it stand for 5 minutes, then fluff the couscous up with a fork. Set the couscous aside until it is just warm.
Deseed the capsicums & cut them into 0. 5cm (or pieces about the same size as the raisins). Wash and trim celery and slice it thinly.
In a screw-top jar mix together the coriander, cumin, chilli powder and remaining 2 tbsp oil. Shake to combine, then pour the dressing over the couscous and mix it through.
Add the capsicums, celery and raisins to the couscous, and mix well.
Serves 4.

Hope that helps and please don't hesitate to ask if you'd like any more recipes or help. :-))

245sam, Jan 25, 10:44pm
oops, the Edit option is no longer available on my above posting, part of which should read... . .

IMO the main thing to remember with couscous is that it is very bland (tasteless? ) without added fllavouring(s) so it blends welll (with minimal added flavouring) with any well-flavoured dishes but in most cases it needs to be well-flavoured with additions such as herbs, spices, lemon or orange rind/zest AND JUICE, etc. :-))

justdelite, Jan 25, 11:31pm
Ohhh thanks so much everyone! :)

chooky, Jan 30, 9:37am
I buy the lemon couscous in the packet, cook, then add cut up apricots, spring onions and flaked almonds. When we have to take a salad I usually take this and are always asked for the recipe. Its easy and yum. Also cook the same packet and have chicken pieces or pork on top with a yummy gravy. Enjoy.

beaker59, Jul 19, 4:52pm
It makes a versatile meal in a hurry, go to the fridge and vege bin a bit of meat of any type thats tender some onion garlic ginger etc flash fried with what ever veges you might have spare, a handful or two of apropriate fresh herbs from the garden and some chillis or whatever you like then the cuscous 1 to one with water and some stock all mixed together quick and delicious taste it before you serve if its a bit dry add extra stock or water.