School Fair Food Ideas .....

Page 1 / 2
junk, Feb 22, 8:26am
Does anyone have any good ideas for food stalls at a school fair - I am the food co-ordinator for our school for the 4th year in a row and looking for new ideas that are easy and make good money for the school. We currently have sausage sizzle, hamburgers and several ethnic groups including Malaysian, Samoan, Tongan & Indonesian. Any ideas? ? ? ?

chrisynz, Feb 22, 8:29am
what aboutscones with cream and jam on, , an old fashion afternoon high tea. .

chrisynz, Feb 22, 8:30am
pancakes... savoury or sweet. .

tracyj, Feb 22, 8:36am
Fairy wand cookies (star biscuits on ice cream sticks with pink icing and sprinkles.
Something for the boys like dinosaur or car cookies.

junk, Feb 22, 8:38am
They are all great ideas! ! ! Thanks heaps - keep them coming! ! ! !

tracyj, Feb 22, 8:41am
You could have a cupcake (or cookie) stall where the kids can decorate their own cupcake from a selection of icings and sprinkles.

Or you could do the same with ice cream in a plastic cup and provide toppings and sprinkles to decorate.

chrisynz, Feb 22, 8:59am
slushy's would go down well , if u had access to ice and a crusher, , add different flavours. . for the kids/big kids. . in paper cups... wine biscuits that kids can decorate them selfs. . ice cream bar... milk shakebar, , , candy floss...

chrisynz, Feb 22, 9:02am
x1
popcorn... would be yummy... u could have salt, butter andsweet toppings to choose from... if its a colder day . . ie duringwinter, , cups of hot vege soup... hot chips and hot dogs. . (puppy dogsfor thewee ones)... .

chrisynz, Feb 22, 9:04am
home made sherbert... differnet flavours, , , u could use small straws(big one cut up to suck it up with)

elliehen, Feb 22, 9:08am
Bamboo skewers with fruits on them such as grapes, pineapple, (fresh if possible), strawberries, kiwifruit and an occasional marshmallow. Children, and adults too, love these. Just snap off the sharp end of the skewer after you've 'loaded' it ;)

china-doll, Feb 22, 9:18am
We had an afternoon tea stall selling cups of tea, coffee etc and eats, scone / pikelets with jam and cream, carrot cake and pavlova by the slice. If you have some one that can make the pavs you can get a really good profit on them especailly if you manage to get the cream donated. I use a 2 egg pav recipe from AWW and can make 2 at once then we would slice them into 6 or 8 pieces and sell them or either $2 or $2. 50 a slice. They were VERY popular

viv29, Feb 22, 9:21am
We do baked potatoes - with a nacho filling i. e. mince and bean mix with coleslaw and sour cream. Filling is made up and kept warm in crock pots. We also have a "cafe" type area with sandwiches, scones, muffins etc. Always surprises me how popular this is - especially with the elderly (if you add some Edmonds favourites that are no longer available in food courts). Coffee is a winner but never amazes me how a good cup of tea never goes amiss. Sorry, I'm not aiming for the kids - they have a ball anyway - it just always amazes me how much of the community turn up at our fair, and I'm just thinking of catering for them (they are the spenders after all).

junk, Feb 22, 9:41am
I know what you mean viv29 - the kids spend all of their money at the sweets and lolly stall and also the entertainment - so I'm aiming for the adult dollars! ! ! With the baked potatoes do you precook them and keep them warm somehow or cook them in a microwave on the spot? ? ? ?

am-trademe, Feb 22, 10:05am
It would be better to precook them, then heat them in the microwave as necessary. Skipping the mince could be a good idea too- keeps the price down, and would be suitable for vegetarians.
Serve them in a disposable bowl or burger container.

What about smoothies? If you could get frozen fruit, tinned mangoes, etc and a couple of blenders- it would be really popular.

maximus44, Feb 22, 6:52pm
Waffles were something that were done a couple of years ago at a school gala. Served with cream.

red2, Feb 22, 9:05pm
big wedges of watermelon , chicken kebabs and satay sauce . pizza by the slice . Small cheese/cracker/fruit platter. Sushi is good to as most people cannot be bothered to make it

kiwitrish, Feb 22, 9:33pm
This migh be an idea. Tried it our and they are so yummy. http://www.trademe.co.nz/Community/MessageBoard/Messages. asp
x? id=174947

lizab, Feb 22, 10:19pm
instead of baked potatoes, why not just use corn chips, nacho mince on top and then some sour cream and a little grated cheese. You wouldn't have to worry about warming up precooked potatoes then.

nana_gee, Feb 22, 10:21pm
Candy floss is cheap to do and can be done up in bags

goldgurl, Feb 22, 10:41pm
those kebabs that are REALLY POPULAR at the markets...

Really good profit! ! Marinade the meat (chicken, pork, beef) overnight... make them all up on the skewers... and cook on a bbq.

I think they sell for $1. 20 or $1. 50 now

They'll go like hotcakes! !

andrea1978, Feb 23, 12:56am
At previous school fairs I've seen nachos and a cake stand where you can buy by the slice/per biscuit etc (people are also willing to pay more this way than they would for a complete plate).

duckmoon, Feb 23, 1:13am
waffles - or pikelets...
What parents do you have - we have a Spanish parent who does Paella (sp) and a Japanese parent who does sushi.

Smoothies - are really popular - in the first year they sold old in 65minutes. IN the second year (now we knew what the market we would be), they raised $800 (that was the profit! )

duckmoon, Feb 23, 1:15am
We have a cafe (with cafe food and hot drinks) but two years ago also had a coffee stall.
The previous year, The cafe raised $1000.
With a coffee stall, the cafe raised $800, and the coffee stall raised $700 (they also had biscuits and slices on their stall). So, together the increase was nearly 50%.

Last year, we moved the coffee stall and paired it with a lemonade stall (home made lemonade cordial served with fizzy-water).

duckmoon, Feb 23, 1:17am
Fruit and marshmellow kebabs - $1
or served with a drizzle of chocolate (from on of those chocolate fountains) $1. 50.

I saw this at another school, it was an attempt to support the "healthy food lobby". But to make any money, the fruit needed to be mixed with marshmellows - so it was a good fundraiser, but I am not sure it was a "healthy food option"

duckmoon, Feb 23, 1:18am
I haven't seen it done at a fair, but my MIL does "baked" potatoes in the crockpot.