Banana Custard Pie

rainbowpride, Sep 3, 7:20am
Years ago I had the yummiest banana custard pie but I have never found a nice recipe that would do it justice.I would be keen to know if you guys have a great banana custard pie recipe.

seniorbones, Sep 3, 7:31am
my mother used to make yummy banana custard with sliced banana chopped up spread with plum jam, make a nice custard using cream and pour of thetop when cool, cover with whipped cream.

245sam, Sep 3, 7:37am
rainbowpride, how about this one?

It's as it appeared on Trademe Cooks.....

"Banana Cream Pie
1 9-inch pie shell, baked 3 cups whole milk, 3/4 cup white sugar, 1/3 cup high grade flour, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 3 egg yolks, slightly beaten, 2 tablespoons butter, 1 teaspoon vanilla, 3 bananas, Have baked 9-inch pie shell ready. In a large saucepan, scald the milk. In another saucepan, combine the sugar, flour and salt; gradually stir in the scalded milk. Over medium heat, stirring constantly, cook until thickened. Cover and, stirring occasionally, cook for two minutes longer. In a small bowl, have the 3 egg yolks, slightly beaten, ready; stir a small amount of the hot mixture into beaten yolks; when thoroughly combined, stir yolks into hot mixture. Cook for one minute longer, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and blend in the butter and vanilla. Let sit until lukewarm. When ready to pour, slice bananas and scatter in pie shell; pour warm mixture over bananas. Whipped cream to top or make a meringue with the 3 egg whites.posted by eveywench":-))

marcs, Sep 3, 10:08am
I remeber as a child we used to crumble up banana cake and put it in a cake pan. Made thick custard and add bananas and poured it over the cake and let it set. For some reason it tasted really good as a child. Not sure what it would taste like now.

margyr, Feb 25, 2:45am
try this recipe and use banana instead of avocado, really yummy and easy as. Avocado Pie; make a biscuit crust, malt biscuits crush up and mix with butter, press this into a pie tin or cake tin, bring it up the sides. filling; 1/4 cup lemon juice combine this with 2 beaten egg yolks, 1 tsp vanilla essence, 1 tin condensed milk, 1/2 tsp salt, pour this into your pie crust and bake for 15-20 mins at 165. Topping; mix 1 cup sour cream, 1/4 cup sugar, 1/2 tsp vanilla essence, dont worry that it will be grainy as it is smooth as. I have made this basic recipe without the avocado and used blueberries, strawberries, the only fruit that did not work in it was kiwi fruit.
Quote margyr (459 )11:50 am, Mon 5 Apr #3