Tired of banana cake-what else to bake with banana

Page 1 / 2
vinee, Jan 28, 10:42pm
I'd like a slice recipe - although I've never heard of a banana slice!
any ideas?

pericles, Jan 28, 10:43pm

vinee, Jan 28, 10:45pm
Ta, but it's just a flat nana cake!

margyr, Jan 28, 10:49pm
i put a recipe in another thread the other night will bump it up for you, it is similar to banoffi pie but not really, try it you will like it.

margyr, Jan 28, 11:10pm
then for something really different i make an avocado pie, which has texture like a baked cheese cake and is yummy, also instead of the avocado i use mashed bananas, or any fruit except for kiwi fruit. Make biscuit base, malt and butter line a cake tin that the bottom lifts out of, press biscuit into base and abit up the sides. Filling 1 mashed avocado, 1 tin of condensed milk, 1/2 tsp salt, 1 tsp vanilla essence, 2 egg yolks and 1/4 cup of lemon juice, combine altogether and pour into cake tin, bake 15-20 mins at 165 degree. Topping and this is really yummy, 1 cup sour cream, 1/4 cup sugar, 1/2 tsp vanilla, mix altogether, dont worry that sugar is grainy it sets into a delicious smooth topping. Put this on the pie when it is cold. Sounds weird but really is a yummy pie.

indy95, Jan 28, 11:19pm
Pericles, would you mind posting the recipe for the " flat nana cake " please ?I can't get into that site for some reason and am now very curious as to what it might be.

245sam, Jan 28, 11:25pm
here you are indy95.....

From the link as posted by pericles (#2):-

"Recipe for Banana Slice
Ingredients
1 cup self raising flour
Pinch of salt
1/4 teaspoon of bicarb soda
1/4 cup of milk
1 egg beaten
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 cup castor sugar
60 grams butter
1/3 cup mashed banana
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg

Sift dry ingredients. Melt butter. Mix the egg, milk, butter and banana. Stir into the dry ingredients. Grease a lamington pan and bake for 25 - 30 minutes in a moderate oven. Ice when cold with lemon icing and sprinkle with cinnamon.":-))

missninagirl, Jan 28, 11:28pm
banana bread/loafI love it but its so yummy you need to make more than one as they just go so fast

indy95, Jan 28, 11:33pm
Thank you very much for posting it, 245sam, mystery solved !

245sam, Jan 28, 11:43pm
no problem - you're welcome, indy95.:-))

maysept, Jan 28, 11:55pm
If they're not TOO overripe, and you're having a bbq, split them, fill with a few choc chips, a couple of marshmallows, a little butter and brown sugar, wrap in foil and stick 'em on the bbq while you're eating the main course. For the ultimate, add some whipped cream to serve. They're fantastic! Even my friend who hates bananas will eat these.

vinee, Jan 28, 11:59pm
theyre yukky nanas! and need mushing and baking and then taken to work for the boys to eat.
I do a pumpkin cake from the banana cake recipe and so I might switch it around and do a banana pie from my pumpkin pie recipe - if you see what I mean!
Otherwise I woulda fried them, made a caribean caramel sauce and crepes...

goldgurl, Jan 29, 12:03am
Banana and sago pudding...Mmmm...except it's too hot...more of a winter recipe.But then again, it is nice cold :)

pam.delilah, Jan 29, 1:08am
how about these if you want a desert

Banana fritters with caramel sauce

½ cup warm water
1 egg
2 tablespoons peanut oil
1 teaspoon dry yeast
1 cup plain flour
1 tablespoon milk
4 large bananas, halved
sunflower oil, for frying
cinnamon sugar, to dust
vanilla ice-cream scoops, to serve

Caramel sauce
125g cold unsalted butter, chopped
½ cup brown sugar
½ cup pouring cream
METHOD

Whisk water, egg and oil in a large bowl until well combined. Gradually whisk in yeast, flour and then milk until smooth. Cover and stand at room temperature for 1½ hours or until mixture has doubled in size.

To make caramel sauce, combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan. Stir over a low heat until butter melts. Bring to boil, simmer, uncovered for 5 minutes or until thickened. Set aside to cool slightly.

Heat enough oil until hot in a deep-fryer or large saucepan for deep-frying.
Using tongs, toss banana halves in batter to coat, add to hot oil in batches and cook, turning occasionally with tongs until golden brown.

Remove from oil using a slotted spoon and place onto a tray lined with paper towel, dust immediately with cinnamon sugar and repeat steps with remaining bananas.

Serve with ice-cream and drizzled with caramel sauce.

or
Banana Ice cream

4 bananas
1 t runny honey
juice half an orange
1/4 c toasted coconut (optional), toasted in 200°C pre heated oven, for 5 to 10 mins until golden brown
1. Peel your bananas, slice them into 2cm slices, place in a supermarket bag and freeze over night
2. Remove bananas from freezer
3. Place in a food processor, with honey and orange juice and whiz until blended. Scrape mixture out into a plastic container and re freeze for an hour
4. Scoop out into bowls, sprinkle with toasted coconut and serve with fresh fruit salad, or in an ice cream cone or as an ice cream sandwich with wafers

Roasted Banana Ice Cream
3 ripe bananas
1/3 C sugar (preferably brown sugar) + 2 T regular white sugar
1 T butter
1 t vanilla essence
1 C milk
½ C fresh cream (chilled)
1 ½ t lemon juice
½ t salt
½ t cinnamon powder
1/8 C raisins soaked in 2 T dark rum
Peel the bananas and cut into 1 inch chunks. In a glass baking dish take the banana pieces and brown sugar, and toss with the butter. Bake for 40 minutes (preheated to 400F/200C), till browned, turning just once in the middle of the baking process.
Remove the contents of the baking dish into a mixing bowl. Add the all the other ingredients except raisins, and blend to a smooth puree. Mix in the raisins and any nuts, if using, and pour into an ice cream maker to set in the fridge. (I used the plastic container of store-bought ice cream to chill mine, blended it once after 2 hours of chilling.)
or
banana tarte tatin

To make your caramel bananas
• Preheat your oven to 180°C/350°F/gas 4
• Cut your butter into cubes and put into a sturdy deep-sided baking tray approximately 19 x 30cm
• Place the tray on a low heat, let the butter melt, then add the sugar and stir constantly until completely combined
• Continue to cook for about 5 minutes or until the sugar has all dissolved and the mixture is golden and caramelized. By the time this happens the mixture will be roasting hot so be very careful and whatever you do, DON’T be tempted to put your fingers in the mixture as you’ll give yourself a nasty burn
• Meanwhile, peel the bananas, halve them lengthways, and lay them carefully on top of the golden caramel
• Remove from the heat, then sprinkle over the cinnamon and finely grate over the zest of half your orange

To make your pastry topping
• Dust a clean work surface and rolling pin with flour
• Rather than putting your pastry down flat and rolling it out, place it on its side (see the picture opposite) and roll it from there, as this will give you a lighter, crisper texture
• Roll it out until you have a rectangle shape about the same size as your tray and about
0.5cm thick
• Drape your pastry over your rolling pin an

pam.delilah, Jan 29, 1:15am
Rich Banana Bread
125 g butter, melted
1 cup white sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1½ cups plain flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup sour cream
½ cup walnuts, chopped (optional)
2 medium bananas, mashed

1. Preheat oven to 175°C and grease a 22 cm x 12 cm loaf pan.
2. In a large bowl, stir together the melted butter and sugar. Add the eggs and vanilla. Mix well.
3. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt and stir into the butter mixture until smooth.
4. Fold in the sour cream, walnuts and bananas. Spread evenly into the prepared pan.
5. Bake for 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of the loaf comes out clean. Cool loaf in the pan for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

smchkn, Jan 29, 3:15am
Banana smooooooooothies...........mmm-
mmmmmm

carot3, Jan 29, 4:23am
oh yeah, i remember my Dad used to make banana fritters and dust them with icing sugar while still hot and the sugar melts into them yum-o. I make them for my kidies from time to time but i love a heap of butter on mine :) p.s. pam.delilah for your bread/loaf, does the banana have to be over ripe or not? ta

pam.delilah, Jan 29, 4:45am
carot, the bananas are best over ripe, enjoy. I am also going to post below an wholemeal one .

pam.delilah, Jan 29, 4:48am
Whole meal Banana loaf/bread with poppy seeds
100g dark muscovado sugar
1 egg
200g low-fat fromage frais or yoghurt
2 tbsp light olive oil
2 ripe bananas mashed
40g sultanas
150g wholemeal self-raising flour
½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
3 tbsp poppy seeds
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground nutmeg

Preheat the oven to 160C/140C fan/gas 2½.
Put the sugar, egg, fromage frais and oil in a large bowl and whisk together well.
Slowly stir in the bananas and sultanas.
Next add the flour, bicarbonate of soda,
poppy seeds, cinnamon and nutmeg and fold gently with a metal spoon.
Spoon the mixture into your prepared loaf tin and bake for about 50 minutes.
Test the bread with a skewer after this time. Push the skewer into the centre of the loaf – if it comes out clean, the bread is cooked; if it’s still wet, it needs about another 5 minutes.

cottagerose, Jan 29, 8:14am
I made a banana loaf the other day that had frozen raspberries added and that was a bit of a variation. You could even add them to a banana cake

norton, Sep 4, 8:34am
Could you do these in the oven???

vix.tribe, Sep 6, 12:09am
Yeah you can.... we used to do them in a bonfire while camping but the oven will work. They're SOOOOOO good! Haven't had them for years.

rainrain1, Sep 6, 1:29am
Sliced banana and raspberry jam shortcake.....topped with a big blob of stiffly whipped cream :-)

rainrain1, Sep 6, 1:53am
Banana and Raspberry Jam Shortcake (or desired filling)

4ozs flour
1egg
4oz cornflour
1 raised tsp baking powder
4oz butter
1Tblsp sugar
Sift flour, cornflour and BP together. Rub in the butter. Beat egg and sugar together, then mix into dry ingredients.Knead on floured board, cut dough in half, roll out one piece and place on cold greased tray. Fill with sliced bananas and spread with raspberry jam. Cover with other half. Brush over with milk and bake 30 minutes moderate oven……Sprinkle with icing sugar and serve with whipped cream

cookessentials, Sep 6, 3:13am
Sticky Date & Banana Pudding

320g chopped dates
1 cup boiling water
2 teaspoons baking soda
100g soft butter
310g brown sugar
8 eggs
270g plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
400g chopped banana, approx 3
Caramel sauce
300ml cream
100g butter
200g brown sugar

Preheat oven to 180°C or 160°C fan-forced.

Soak dates in the boiling water and bi-carb soda, and let cool.

Beat butter and sugar till creamy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well in between.

Fold in flour and baking powder. Add banana and dates.

Grease a 24cm cake tin and pour in mixture.

Bake for 40 mins until firm.

To make the caramel sauce:
Combine cream, butter and brown sugar in small saucepan over medium heat. Stir well until sugar dissolves and sauce is smooth.

Pour warm sauce over the pudding to serve.