Marshmellow shortcake

margaret, Sep 5, 8:04am
i looking for this receipe can you help me please

tower, Sep 5, 8:16am
x1
This is my late Mum's recipe which is a family favourite....
Marshmallow Shortcake -

100gButter; 1 cup Sugar;1 Egg; 1 ½ cups Flour; 1 tsp Baking Powder

Beat butter and sugar.Add egg, then flour and baking powder. Mix well and press into a deep flat tin.
Bake a 180 C for20 mins.

Marshmallow:

Soak2 Dessertspoons gelatine in 1 cup water for 10 mins than add 1 cup sugar and boil for 8 mins.When nearly cold add 1 cup icing sugar and essence to flavour.Beat until white and firm. Spread on shortcake base.
When set ice with chocolate icing and chopped walnuts.

juliewn, Sep 5, 11:18am
Marshmallow shortcake freezes beautifully too, and is rather nice even, eaten straight from the freezer :-)

margaret, Sep 6, 8:44am
thank you and does anyone have receipe with the jelly topping

allurs, Sep 6, 8:07pm
does the water need to be hot or cold to melt the gelatine? thanks

bisloy, Sep 7, 7:51am
Obviously speaking from VAST experience!!

juliewn, Sep 7, 8:06am
Ummm.. ok Bisloy.. I'll admit to a small sample on occasion, or two.. maybe three!

It's great to be able to freeze Marshmallow shortcake for a special occasion - take it out on the morning of the event, place on pretty plates and cover with plastic wrap.. decorate if you wish.. and forget about it until ready to serve..

margaret, Sep 7, 8:18am
does anyone have the edmonds recipe book with this recipe in that i can buy

blt10, Sep 7, 9:20am
Mmmm haven't attempted this slice, thanks for sharing recipe.

tower, Sep 11, 1:55am
x1
You just sprinkle the gelatine over cold water, leave it to soak for 10 minutes then boil for 8 min with 1 cup sugar (as above).

tower, Sep 11, 2:06am
x1
Here's the recipe from the 1972 edition of the Edmonds cookbook.It has a choice of fillings. The second one uses jelly.

4 ozs Butter; 4 ozs Sugar; 1/2 tsp Vanilla Essence; 1 Egg; 8 ozs Flour; 1 tsp Baking Powder.

Cream butter abnd sugar, add essence. Add egg, then sifted dry ingredients. Roll on greasproof paper to about 1/2 in thick. Place on cold tray and bake 30 mins at 350 F

Filling (1):
2 Dsp Gelatine; 3/4 breakfastcup Cold Water; 3/4 breakfastcup Sugar; 1 Egg White; 3/4 breakfastcup Icing Sugar

Soften the gelatine in cold water, add sugar and boil 8 mins.Cool. Beat white of egg stiff, fold in icig sugar, then slowly pour in cooled gelatine. Beat until white and thick (about 3 mins). Spread on shortcake immediately. Ice with chocolate icing and sprinkle with walnuts.

Filling (2)
Soak 1 packet of Edmonds Lemon or Raspberry Jelly Crystals in 1 1/2 cups cold water for 10 mins and boil exactly 8 mins without stirring. Leave till slightly cool, add 1 cup icing sugar and beat till stiff.Spread on Shortcake mixture and sprinkle with coconut, or ice with chocolate icing and sprinkle with chopped nuts.

margaret, Mar 14, 3:40pm
x1
thank you all i now have the book with it it