Beer bread

mindi1, Sep 2, 11:31pm
http://joseagar.com/recipes/category:baking-and-treats/beer-bread/

Made these last night after watching Jo on tele last week. Brilliant recipe. I made two batches, one with the swirly jam marmalade surprise inside ... fantastic.
Go Jo!

fifie, Sep 3, 1:11am
Looks a good quick tasty recipe for busy mums. Brings back memories ofthe beer bread i used to make before i got my breadmaker lol. Nothing beats the smell of nice bread cooking..

juliewn, Sep 3, 3:47am
Hi..

It's great with about 1/4 to 1/2 cup of pesto folded lightly through the mix just before placing it in the tin.. once it's baked, it'll show as a swirl look inside the loaf..

Sundried tomatoes and/or olive tapenade can also be used.

We also mix grated cheese into the mix, and sprinkle more on top of the mix in the tin, before baking for a golden top - sprinkle some dried breadcrumbs over the top of the cheese just before baking - this will give a crunchy cheesey top.

Sunflower and pumpkin seeds are good added too..

Add a little mustard powder to the flour, or fold wholegrain mustard through..

The options are many.. makes a rustic bread addition to go with hot soup for an easy meal..

cap, Sep 3, 4:32am
Mmm - great added extras there Julie.

mindi1, Sep 3, 10:40pm
Yumm. Have just made the Pesto variety, as well as adding cheese to others. From getting bowl out to putting tray into the hot oven, 7 minutes. Pairs of these wee loaves are in bags in the freezer.I bought a tray of 8 wee rectangular shapes ~ brilliant for this recipe.

nzbadger, Sep 3, 10:46pm
Mine's in the oven............

juliewn, Sep 4, 2:06am
Thanks Cap :-).. haven't seen you posting.. how are you? hope all is well..

Hope you like the pesto in the loaf Mindi.. tastes good :-)

mindi1, Sep 4, 8:07pm
I think your loaf looks good, tich50. I guess the only way of making it bigger/higher would be to use a smaller tin. Or I guess you could double the recipe, put more in the big loaf tin and then make some smaller ones as well. I have only used the tray of small loaves I mentioned above. Isn't it a wonderfully easy recipe!

cap, Sep 4, 10:14pm
I made some last night.I just did the plain version and baked it in a 10 cm by 20 cm tin and it was perfect!It would have to be one of the easiest things I have made.My 6 year old was concerned about the beer though - "Is it alcohol beer or animal bear Mummy?".

Thanks for asking Julie - I'm great.With the search function I just don't need to post as much lol!Looking forward to trying this recipe again with some of your suggestions.

tich50, Sep 4, 10:18pm
thanxforthat,wouldactuallyuseabiggertinandsee.

hubbyquitdrinkingalcoholafewweeksagoandhestillhasacoupleofbeersleftsoithoughtthatthiswouldbeagoodwaytouseit.

poppy62, Sep 5, 6:45am
Beer bread is my favourtie but I dont put extra baking powder in mine!!Its the same with beer batter - I just use the natural yeast from the beer as a raising agent - and I hate the taste of too much BP!

juliewn, Sep 5, 11:25am
Hi Cap.. that's great.. your 6 year old is clever to do the comparison.. I'm guessing you had a smile :-)

Hope you like the variations you try.. take good care.. :-)

bantam3, Mar 4, 7:43am
try using different beers. my fav was DB double brown. Makes a sweet bread