Neck chops in the crockpot

tarshlove, Aug 22, 3:35am
Hey guy's I chucked some whole neck chops in the crock pot as I was going out in a hurry just before lunch, I was wondering if anyone can suggest something to flavor them with some thing spicy would be good but all suggestions welcome I want to dish up about 5. 30 to 6pm. TYIA

wynyard, Aug 22, 4:03am
A pkt of Magi beef stroganof does wonders.

obviousas, Aug 22, 4:05am
I am assuming they are lamb neck chops.

YUK, fatty and unhealthy.

Until Allison Gofton suggested they are really good as a soup base. She turned trash into gormet tucker! !

Maybe, throw in soup mix, adding tumeric powder or even curry powder for colour and/or a kick.

Or just the soup mix with some bacon bones for the smoked flavour.

Or just plain soup mix and pepper for an Irish stew

beblowin, Aug 22, 4:24am
at 5pm cook some mixwd vegs on the stove, remove 1/2 the water from the crockpot and put in a pot on the stove this will make the gravey, just add bistow or marmite with a bit of cornflour to thicken it up, I use ox veg for flavour or just tomatoe sauce in the crock pot, just before serving remove the chops from the pot, keep the water, combine mixed vegs gravey and chops, add and water to make a nice stew type mixture and servre. good with brussel sproults, coliflouror brockile and whole patatoes, enjoy

tich50, Aug 22, 4:26am
imaketomatostewwithneckchops, alsothrowinacapsicum, freshtomatoes, salt, blackpepper, tomato pasteortomatosauceifidon'thavepaste, andatbsp. sugar.

haven'tmadeitinages... . yum! ! andeatwithsomerice.

dian2, Aug 22, 6:55am
good stuff!

i make something like this & at the last minute throw in a small handful of chopped garlic & big handful of chopped parsley. . very tasty, cheap meal!

also... i either let the fat set 1st & pick it off the stew. . or soak it up with break & biff it

tich50, Aug 22, 8:09am
dian2, yeslotsofgarlictoo, forgottosaythataswell. ihavechangedmydietbycuttingoutvisiblesugarandvisiblefatasbestican, sothiswouldbeveryfatty... . . butatreatnowandthenisupposewouldbeokay. havelost10kgsin6weeksdoingthissodon'twannaruinmyefforts.

pickles7, Aug 22, 9:06am
Irish stew

Simple, Delicious, & Nourishing.

I cooked this over night in a slow cooker.
16 neck chops
2 medium ch onions
6 peeled and chopped carrots
3 tsp salt
2 tsp gr. black pepper
2 cups of water
###1 chopped habanero chili ### A little hot for small children
4 good hand fulls, of chopped up silver beet stalks. [Optional, my family won't eat the whites in silverbeet ]
put cooker on high and turn down to , low.
Cooked 10 hours. The meat should fall off the bones.
Pour the liquid off into a narrow container, the fat is easier to skim off the top without setting it.
return to heat adding a can of drained peas [ mintless] reserve the liquid,
Add 3 Tblsp of cornflour to the liquid and thicken the stew, add more if you need to.

fisher, Aug 22, 11:08pm
Nah... forget the WHOLE habanero... that's all you'll taste...

I remove the little bit of white fatty gristle first. . You need to brown the chops first... Just use a saucepan with some olive oil and brown them 3 at a time with 3 whole cloves of garlic. . turning as you go. . then into the crockpot. . now throw in two large chopped onions into the saucepan and this will deglaze all the nice brown bits (and clean your saucepan) which should also go in the crockpot with the onions and garlic cloves. .
While this is going on, you should have some carrots in a saucepan with water, a heaped tbsp of marmite and a tsp of salt. . when "par boiled" put all the carrots and water into the crockpot... add grind of pepper and a pkt of maggi oxtail soup mix if you want rather than use the marmite. . grab some rosemary sprigs, some bay leaves and parsley and tie these together for a bouquet garni. . push this under the liquid. . you can par boil and add other veges if you want to do the whole meal, like, swede, potatoes and kumura but add these about one hour before serving time and the crockpot should be on high...
(par boiling stops the outer crust of the veges going hard... )
Remove the garni. . do a taste test and add salt if needed and stir through. .

dian2, Aug 23, 12:18am
Omg! Congratulations Tich! Wish i could lose that much that quickly!

Letting the fat cold set, then skimming it off, seems to me the best way of getting rid of pretty much all of it. .

tich50, Feb 18, 1:11pm
ihaven'tmadeirishstewinagesbutinmineiusecarrots, potatoesandpeas... . wastaughtthatwayandnotwithneckasitstoofatty.

dian2yes, iwaspleasantlysurprisedwheni'velostsomuch. ididitbecauseofmyverybadmigraines, wokeupforweekswithbadmigrainesandwasgettingfed-upofallthepainkillersthatihadtoswallowdaily. sincei'vecutoutthevisiblesugarandfat, idon'thaveanymigrainessonopainkillers, nopuffyanditchyeyes, nopinsandneedlesinmyfeetandnobloatednessandlotsofenergy. i'mstilleatingfartoomuchbread - 6 slicesofbrownbreadaday, grrrr... . andstillbigportionsthati'mslowlycuttingdownon.