Cooking with eggs

el.diablo, Aug 20, 5:57am
Does anyone have any really good recipes that use eggs? The more eggs the better, Ive been given about 30 and need to use them before they get too old. Breakfasts, lunches, dinners or desserts, thought about trying something different for a change. any ideas? thanks! :)

chicco2, Aug 20, 6:34am
You could always make a Xmas cake or even a few small ones. They make fantastic presents. Friends, parent, Nanas, neighbours, we all love something homemade. They freeze perfectly too.

uli, Aug 20, 6:37am
Breakfast: Bacon and eggs, omelette, poached eggs.
Lunch: frittata, omelette, egg salad, egg foo yong
Dinner: pickled eggs, egg custards, cheese cake for dessert.

That would be all 30 eggs used :)

chicco2, Aug 20, 6:42am
YAYomelette, bacon and sausages, we just had that for tea, MMM.

me-shell1, Aug 20, 6:45am
a big bac0n and egg pie in roasting dish, put the eggs in whole.

ferita, Aug 20, 6:49am
Spinach Pie (this is a recipe my maltese friend gave me)
10 eggs beaten
100g ricotta
2 cooked potatoes sliced up
Heaps of spinach (I use about 300g)
Heaps of chopped parsley
Salt and pepper + nutmeg to taste
filo pastry

Mix everything up and put in a baking dish that has been lined with buttered sheets of filo. You need to layer the filo so it has about 4 layers on the bottom.

Cover the mixture with filo for the top of the pie.

Cook at 180 until cooked (about an hour). Every 20 minutes or so you need to spray the top of the pie with water to stop it burning. Use a normal spray bottle for this.

When cooked liberally sprinkle with lemon juice

ferita, Aug 20, 6:53am
I have another maltese recipe that uses eggs. I will post it soon when I find it. Its called tempana or timpana or something similar

kirinesha, Aug 20, 7:01am
Blue Cheese Quiche with Ham and Mushrooms

Ingredients

BASE:
1-1/3 cups of almonds
1/2 cup parmesan grated
6T melted butter
1T water

FILLING:
300ml cream
4 eggs
1/2 onion chopped finely
1T butter
100gms thickly sliced mushrooms
50 gms crumbled blue vein cheese
4-5 slices of ham, torn into pieces
Salt and pepper

Method

Preheat oven to 180C
Make the base by processing the almonds and parmesan until finely crumbed in the food processor, add butter and water and mix well
Line the base and sides with baking paper (overlapping to prevent the liquids in the topping from flowing out) and press the mix evenly over the base
Bake at 180C for 10-12 mins, then remove from oven and cool (leave the oven on)
Saute the onion in the butter until soft and lightly coloured, add the mushrooms and cook until softening but not releasing liquids
Put the eggs and cream into a high sided bowl or jug and beat well, add salt and pepper
Put the onion / mushroom mix on the cooled quiche base
Top with the torn ham pieces
Scatter the blue cheese over the top
Pour the egg / cream mix over this
Place in oven for 45 mins then test to make sure it's not wobbling any more, if it still is then check every 5 mins until done
Serve in wedges, warm or cold

sew.obsessed, Feb 11, 9:59am
If you go onto Destitute Gourmet website, on the right hand side are two egg recipe booklets with yummy recipes that you can download for free.