Lemon and Orange Peel

sunflowers28, Aug 19, 1:52am
Have loads of fruit and use peel year round, in my cooking so would like to make my own. Has anyone got any recipes that they have used or how they use the peel. TIA

cookessentials, Aug 19, 2:04am
Yes, I do. Will hunt it out

cookessentials, Aug 19, 2:14am
3 oranges, rough weight of 750g
3lemons, rough weight of 430g
330g caster sugar
625ml water
caster sugar, extra

Scrub the fruit well. Using a sharp knife remove peel and pith from fruits in large pieces.
Place the pieces of peel in a medium sized saucepan. Cover with cold water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 10 minutes. Drain.
Repeat this process twice. The pith should now be translucent. If not, continue with the process once more.

Drain and slice into 3 mm thick strips.
Place sugar and water in a medium sized saucepan. Cook, stirring over low heat until sugar dissolves. Add peel; simmer approximately 45 minutes or until the syrup has nearly disappeared.

Remove from heat. Place the peel on a wire rack that has been placed over a baking paper lined oven tray. Allow to dry overnight.
Toss the peel in extra caster sugar to coat lightly. Arrange sugar coated peel in single layer on baking paper until touch dry. Store in airtight containers until ready to use. Peel will last several months if kept dry and airtight.

ferita, Aug 19, 3:36am
You can squeeze the orange oil out of peels by simply folding the peel over. It squirts out, you light it with a lighter and it gives food a really lovely burnt orange flavour.

momma1, Aug 19, 9:17pm
a friend of mine used to go on about something she once tasted and it was orange peel that had been candied and then dipped in chocolate. years later she still talked about it

cookessentials, Aug 19, 9:57pm
I make those at Christmas and they are delicious.

sunflowers28, Aug 20, 10:01am
Thanks cookessentials that what I was looking for. Will be making some over the weekend as our oranges are just about finished. Poor season this year. Not sure how old the 2 trees are we have only had the house since 2004 and it was build in mid 50's. Can you give us the candied orange peel one for dipping in chocolate please. Last had it in England about 5 years. Mouth is watering... ... .

cookessentials, Aug 20, 9:41pm
sure, I wil hunt it out today.

cookessentials, Mar 11, 9:42pm
Suddenly remembered your request for the chocolate orange sticks.

CHOCOLATE ORANGE STICKS

2x large thick skinned oranges
1 cup water
1 cup sugar ( use caster)
125g dark chocolate.

Cut oranges into quarters;peel away skin with fingers,leaving thicj pith on the skin intact.Cut quarters into strips about 1cm thick. Drop into pan of boiling water,drain, do this twice more.Combine water and sugar in pan. Stir over heat until sugar dissolves. Do not boil. Reduce heat and simmer 10 mins or until orange strips become translucent. Stir from time to time while simmering.
Using two forks, or tongs, remove orange strips from pan and pop on a wire rack to dry overnight.
Melt chocolate over simmering water;place several orange strips into the chocolate at one time, remove from choc with a couple of forks or tongs and place on a peive of aluminium foil to set. Keep at room temp till set and store in airtight container.